• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering Wheel upgrade Finally installed!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Some of you guys from the other forum may remember my story of the steering wheel I ordered but never came. The post office marked it delivered so the vendor just said "not our problem" It worked out in my favor, I disputed it on my CC and they refunded me the whole order ( 300.00 worth of other items that DID show up as well) ...so 3 months later the original wheel finally showed up after I had already reordered from a different vendor....I guess the post office found it in a corner. I ended up giving the extra one away on the other forum. The vendor tried to screw me, no way I was returning it to them.

Anyway, I tried pullers and pb blaster but I couldn't get the old wheel off (didn't try pulling it with the wife's Honda pilot ;)) So we got this new puller at work and I borrowed it to try again. Worked like a champ. Finally have the new wheel installed. Package says I got it in January 2011.

I had to take an AC break....it's 89 degrees at 10AM with a heat index of 109....YIKES...I'm a sweaty mess.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks nice, crazy how much of a difference something you wouldn't think about makes.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like my 212x wheel now. I have one like @redthumper9 s sitting on my bench waiting for install. It was one of those Christmas in July purchases.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did this to my AR240 and love it. The black is just very plain...

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks great. Tell us about this puller. What kind?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do remember your story from the other forum @Big Shasta. I also remember your vendor doing nothing to help as he was paid, or so he thought. I'm glad you didn't return the wheel to him. Glad you made out.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you find it?

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looks great. Tell us about this puller. What kind?

Locks the jaws down around the housing then I used a cordless impact to tighten the center bolt. It was JUST big enough to reach around the back of the housing.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is it not possible to remove the 6 allen screws, remove the factory wheel, and screw the new one on?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Is it not possible to remove the 6 allen screws, remove the factory wheel, and screw the new one on?
In Theory that's how it works...Problem is the tapered shaft. There is also one center nut on the shaft and it doesn't have to be very tight at all since there is a key in the shaft. My problem was a combination of being in a salt environment and the nut being really tight. That and the wheel had been on there 9 years at that point. It was just stubborn.

craigm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know if this will fit on my 2013 AR 240?
It seams to be clear about what it fits however it is a short list.
Thanks!

image.png

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@craigm I have no idea if that would fit your 2013....perhaps call your local dealer and ask. Got me wondering too...there are so many Yamaha steering wheels on Amazon....I'll bet a bunch of them are interchangable...like this one:

That said...the one you posted is cheaper on Amazon too...

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There's an extremely high probability (I'm guessing) that the bolt pattern is the same as most aftermarket (car) steering wheels. Momo/nardi/grant/etc... They all use 6 hole patterns like that.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
There's an extremely high probability (I'm guessing) that the bolt pattern is the same as most aftermarket (car) steering wheels. Momo/nardi/grant/etc... They all use 6 hole patterns like that.
Those 6 holes are just a cap. The wheel mounts with one center nut on a tapered/keyed shaft.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Big Shasta ......I have actually bought three of the cheap wheels of of eBay over the last few years. Most recently the one like @Julian just posted (red of course). With all of them, all I did was remove and reinstall them via the six bolts. Never used a puller for the main shaft.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Big Shasta ......I have actually bought three of the cheap wheels of of eBay over the last few years. Most recently the one like @Julian just posted (red of course). With all of them, all I did was remove and reinstall them via the six bolts. Never used a puller for the main shaft.
You didn't have a center nut? If not then they have definitely changed it over the years.

steering.jpg

Number 5 is the bolt, washer and key for the shaft in the upper right. The cap is just cosmetic on mine. This was an 05....

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Big Shasta ....there was a large center nut, but I didn't have to touch it. My 2007 SX210 and my 2010 AR240 both had the 6 small Allen head screws to hold the wheel onto the actually adapter (or collar). They are pretty universal from what I have found.