• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

stereo upgrade for people with little kids

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I finally got my jl m600/6 amp installed over the weekend. I titled the post this way because ever since i had a kid I havent used my good home stereo to its full potential in 2.5 years. With this in mind I didnt want to drop a bunch of money on a stereo for the boat that 90% of the time wouldnt be used to its potential. I keeped everything original, clarion HU and polk speakers and just added the amp. I'm amazed the difference it made. I listen to rock and alternative and i'm very impressed with the way it sounds. If your looking for a little more out or your stereo than this is a no brainer.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't need a big stereo but I was wondering if a new amp would help. I have a AR240 and I didn't want to put a whole new system in. I haven't got an amp yet. How is the amp wired into the system? I don't have an amp to look at. Do the speaker wires go into the amp and then the HU is wired into the amp? I know its probably pretty simple but without anything to look at right now, I don't really have any idea.

You got it right. HU to amp then out to the speakers.

Anyone have a recommendation on an amp to power 4 speakers with maybe an add on of another 2? I don't plan on doing tower speakers but maybe a subwoofer.

Anyone have a recommendation on an amp to power 4 speakers with maybe an add on of another 2? I don't plan on doing tower speakers but maybe a subwoofer.
Same thing the OP bought JL Audio M600/6. You can use it for 4 or 6 speakers.

I have two pioneer class d car amps that I am very happy with. They power tower speakers, boat and sub.

Will the JL power 6 speakers and a sub or does the sub need a separate amp? And can I power all six speakers and a sub off the Clarion HU that comes with the boat. Thanks for the info so far.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't need a big stereo but I was wondering if a new amp would help. I have a AR240 and I didn't want to put a whole new system in. I haven't got an amp yet. How is the amp wired into the system? I don't have an amp to look at. Do the speaker wires go into the amp and then the HU is wired into the amp? I know its probably pretty simple but without anything to look at right now, I don't really have any idea.
The way you set this up @Noko , is like this. You cut your existing speaker wires from the HU, and extend them so that they can connect to the amp and be amplified. You then run RCA for all channels direct to the amp to provide the signal to be ampified. You have to set the amp up with a trigger wire, so that it comes on and off with the HU. Most use either the auto antenna wire or a separate trigger wire. Probably the blue wire is it. So the only speaker wire you run, is from the amp to any new speakers or subwoofer(s). Until you have a diagram or the equipment in front of you, it is a little difficult to get an image of what your doing. I didn't know, until I did my install on the Dawg. This will be my second go around with similar equipment. If it gets exotic, I have to ask questions!

Right now, I am thinking about how I might change what I did before. And guys, I had that mild upgrade your talking about. Something that will put a...excuse the expression..."shit eating grin", ear to ear, on you, but at a lower level for wife and kids, it will give you clear/clean/crisp, and perfect reproduction or as perfect as you can get in a bathtub on a lake! JL Audio is known for high fidelity and Earmark Audio is known for excellence in the way they cater to us here on the Yamahas. Earmark is a dealer for many other top brands as well, Wet Sounds, Sony, Alpine, Fusion, Kenwood, I don't even know them all. I bought all of my audio upgrade items from them before and I trust them so much, and feel I got so much more than I could from any online non warranty dealer, that I will not even consider going elsewhere. This is not a mod to shop price, it is a mod to shop warranty and dealer support. These guys will hold your hand and walk you through it until you understand what it is your about to do! They have shop drawings, notes, and long learned experience that they share with you freely, when you purchase your equipment from them. And one final thing. When you compare prices, and I know you will, we always do, even when it burns us many times, be sure you get a quote from Odin on the "full package". He can save you money if you buy it in a package. If you piece mill it, you won't save. They have put together specific sets that work and play well in a Yamaha. Remember, we don't have big electrical systems. So a Class D amp is a MUST. Efficient equipment is a MUST. We have plenty of guys that have bought from them. I have yet to read anyone that wasn't happy with their equipment or support. I also wanted to say that I love doing a stereo upgrade. This is what puts the teeth in the music! Rock on!

I finally got my jl m600/6 amp installed over the weekend. I titled the post this way because ever since i had a kid I havent used my good home stereo to its full potential in 2.5 years. With this in mind I didnt want to drop a bunch of money on a stereo for the boat that 90% of the time wouldnt be used to its potential. I keeped everything original, clarion HU and polk speakers and just added the amp. I'm amazed the difference it made. I listen to rock and alternative and i'm very impressed with the way it sounds. If your looking for a little more out or your stereo than this is a no brainer.

You can certainly use the additional power to maximize the overall volume. But you can also see a vast benefit at a very moderate listening level from the dynamic headroom that an amplifier provides. Those extra power transients are interpreted as contrast and clarity. If a really good recording were to have 18 dB of dynamic range (differences between the background and foreground passages...or...soft nuances to peak attack) that constitutes a 1 to 64 power ratio. That is the transient nature of music. What a difference it makes when the power is unbridled. You've experienced this first hand.

Now consider that the amplification simply magnifies the signal so that it can reproduce the original recording as accurately as possible and in its full dynamic state. However, the job of a speaker is far more demanding and crucial to accurate sound reproduction. The speaker, as a transducer, has to totally convert one type of energy to another. If you were pleased with what an amplifier did you will be shocked at what a speaker upgrade will do - even at moderate listening levels.

You can certainly use the additional power to maximize the overall volume. But you can also see a vast benefit at a very moderate listening level from the dynamic headroom that an amplifier provides. Those extra power transients are interpreted as contrast and clarity. If a really good recording were to have 18 dB of dynamic range (differences between the background and foreground passages...or...soft nuances to peak attack) that constitutes a 1 to 64 power ratio. That is the transient nature of music. What a difference it makes when the power is unbridled. You've experienced this first hand.

Now consider that the amplification simply magnifies the signal so that it can reproduce the original recording as accurately as possible and in its full dynamic state. However, the job of a speaker is far more demanding and crucial to accurate sound reproduction. The speaker, as a transducer, has to totally convert one type of energy to another. If you were pleased with what an amplifier did you will be shocked at what a speaker upgrade will do - even at moderate listening levels.
I definitely know first hand from putting together home stereos and I always build around the speakers. Speaker upgrade will come for sure. I have had the boat for a week and half and put on cobra fins, bennett trim tabs, ordered a lift for the slip and now the amp. According to the wife my upgrades are done this year. Good thing its early in the year because by july she will have forgot about that comment.

I definitely know first hand from putting together home stereos and I always build around the speakers. Speaker upgrade will come for sure. I have had the boat for a week and half and put on cobra fins, bennett trim tabs, ordered a lift for the slip and now the amp. According to the wife my upgrades are done this year. Good thing its early in the year because by july she will have forgot about that comment.

Yes, I'm feeling it too. Just got an RV last Thursday and the initial add-ons, upgrades, outfitting, stocking, etc. is a shock.
But I decided to beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission.

I negotiated a 6ch amp installed when I bought the boat. I did this because everyone on the old site said the stereo sucked and cut out.

My stock stereo and speakers with the added amp sound fine for me and my girls.

They did a nice job installing the amp...except for the placement. Instead of mounting it on the wall of the forward compartment of the driver, the mounted it on the floor of said compartment.

I just bought a "cheap" ($200+) 6 channel amp made by Pyle (I've used their stuff before, not great but exceeded my needs). I have not taken a good look at the stock system but heard it may only have 4 channels so two of the output leads may be split to cover two pairs of speakers. I hope that is not the case as I'd like to control the sound in the cabin separately from the rest of the speakers. I will figure it out, it just sucks when the "easy" mods get complicated and I have to rely on hope instead of "the plan".

Yes, I'm feeling it too. Just got an RV last Thursday and the initial add-ons, upgrades, outfitting, stocking, etc. is a shock.
But I decided to beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission.
Are you planning to upgrade the sound system in the new RV at some point? That's the only thing that I what to do to mine. Put a true surround sound home theater system along with upgrading the two exterior speakers.

Keeping it simple can pay off in the long run. You can always add more later if you feel you need it. I've seen guys dump a ton of money on a massive system that rarely gets pushed to it's potential.

I just bought a "cheap" ($200+) 6 channel amp made by Pyle (I've used their stuff before, not great but exceeded my needs). I have not taken a good look at the stock system but heard it may only have 4 channels so two of the output leads may be split to cover two pairs of speakers. I hope that is not the case as I'd like to control the sound in the cabin separately from the rest of the speakers. I will figure it out, it just sucks when the "easy" mods get complicated and I have to rely on hope instead of "the plan".
I had two pairs of RCA cables coming out of the clarion HU front and rear. I isolated the swim deck speakers from the cockpit and bow speakers. This way the kid can nap and i can still listen to the music on the swim deck. Everything is controlled by the HU fader control. The exception to it is the tower tweeters, they are still powered but at such a low volume they dont really make a difference.

Are you planning to upgrade the sound system in the new RV at some point? That's the only thing that I what to do to mine. Put a true surround sound home theater system along with upgrading the two exterior speakers.

Yes. This will be primarily a hotel jumper so that we can go on a moments notice and take the dog. So I'm not concerned with the sound in the galley but the cab system MUST get upgraded for those long hours of driving (guess who will be driving).
Although it sounds pretty anemic when still, the existing system cannot overcome the air conditioning noise (that's really not excessive) and becomes thin with all the warmth dropping out when pushed. Typical HU power. Although I'm not a high volume person normally I have got to have enough power to get over the air and road noise and keep that power operating in the conservative mode. Past that it will be about quality of sound. I'll definitely be adding an Audison bit processor. The rest is still in the planning phase as there are a couple of challenges, particularly getting a sub to couple correctly with the cab area.
Yesterday Earmark added window film to the cab and paint protection film around the nose. They'll also do the stereo as soon as we get it figured out.

Back