• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stern Drive vs Jet Drive Propaganda

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Saw this on You Tube.....trying to say how easy it is to dock a stern drive. I have done both....and I will take the Yamaha Jet anyday. I could NEVER turn a stern drive 180 degress within its own length. Watch Mikey here...He obviously doesnt know shit about maneuvering a jetdrive....watch his throttle manipulation! Funny

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Set up to fail from the get go! Could see it on Mikey's face from the get go... to be fair any boat you need some practice and time with to get it down when your new to boating doesn't matter what it is jet or stern drive...

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
that's funny, it doesn't even seem real. I don't know who would take advice from mikey LMAO

BTW, was the first boat even a jet boat?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep...they both have their nuances...and it looks like that was the first time Mikey had ever touched a jet boat.

Like was mentioned above, I'll take my jet and spin it in it's own length any day. It's also fun to see a stern drive try to dock into the wind. I saw a guy struggle big time in a small wind last summer. Apparently he was trying to back into the slip and the wind was blowing in the opposite way his prop was spinning in reverse...he basically got pushed around.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've docked outboard and stern dives 1000s of times. The video is an exaggeration, but it's true. Stern drives offer better low speed control. You can turn in neutral with no throttle. The jet requires substantially more throttle to get a similar reaction. A twin screw strewn dive can be spun easily too. Add in some bow thrusters and even a strong cross wind won't bother you.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What a putz. Not surprised comments are disabled. Oh, and when I saw "published by SeaRay" (yeah, it's a corporate page) that spoke volumes!

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They probably dropped it because, you know, jets are so hard to dock! ;)
(Or maybe because the other boats had them by at least 5mph on the top end and surely for less $? All kidding aside, I would have looked at one...)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's like politics...you can always find information to support your position.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Mikey is a dumb ass.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having owned multiple of both I will take the jet at the dock any day. Once you understand it close quarter procedures are much easier in a jet. I will take the I/O in heavy conditions over the jet and the noise level over the jet those are the only two things I miss.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@druppert , that's got to be fake news. Jet boats are useless and unsteerable. Clearly this thing will be crashing into docks around the world!
(BTW, there's a shot of the jets - no fins! An opportunity for Cobra Jet or JBP? ;))

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mikey looks like OJ trying a glove on

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mike was either inexperienced at driving that Yamaha, or deliberately drove it poorly.

I sometimes get complements from people on the dock who say I am so good at docking. It is because of the maneuverability of the jets, much more than my skill.

Someone said it. More thrust is required to make the stern of the boat move left or right when going very slow. All that takes is a short (half second) burst using the throttles. At first that isn't a comfortable thing to do but once I got used to it I have great control over the boat while docking.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where is the Bullshit rating on this forum. That video is A LOT of B.S. Consider the source.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is another joke of a comparison, Cobalt vs Jetboats, https://www.cobaltboats.com/why_cobalt/sterndrive_vs_jetdrive/index.html

When I did my customer survey after receiving my new Cobalt, the absolute misrepresentation of the facts about Jet boats is one of things I blasted Cobalt about. As I can see my blast feel on deaf ears because their comparison is still wrong.

Don't get me wrong I love my Cobalt but they sure are wrong on a few comparisons, especially the part on "Protection from Debris". I owned my Yamaha for 6 years and put a little over 200 hours on it and only sucked up 2 things, in the first 3 months with less than 15 hours on my Cobalt I damage a prop twice, luckily in the last 75 hours I haven't damage one, knock on wood.

Last edited:

patrickgrizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
"Why can't I trim my jet drive?"

...Because you don't need to?

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently went to the Kia dealer to look at the new Kia Niro. The salesman spent a lot of his time totally trashing Prius reliability, especially the HV battery. He said one of his previous jobs was selling and replacing Prius batteries and they were dropping like flys. He never did find out that I've owned two Prius with a total of 200,000 miles and zero problems with either. Prius batteries eventually do fail but are extraordinarily reliable. When they do need repair individual cells can be replaced which keeps the cost way down. Many Prius cars are on the road with 300K+ miles and running the original battery.

There's no way I'll deal with that Kia dealer.

The boat manufacturers are jumping on the jet boat market. They all have to explain themselves when previously were trashing jet boats.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think John is referencing chaparral, scarab and glasstron all of which are relatively new to the jet boat market. Chaparral had a commercial of sorts which made jet boats look horrible compared to convention prop driven boats. Sea ray announced they would enter the market a few years ago but backed out before releasing their first model.