• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Stiff Steering and Throttles

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well finally got the engines spring prepped at the dealer this week and spent the weekend in the boat, washing, waxing, detailing, minor repairs etc. When I went to move the throttles and steering wheel on the trailer, they were both very difficult to move. I've never experienced this before.

Is there a magic place for me to put some grease in a zerk fitting or some other process to address these two issues?

Thanks

Time to replace the cables. You can try putting grease at the cable ends and working them in and out but usually by the time the cable is getting stiff it's life is about over. Try not to buy the Yamaha replacement cables because they are overpriced, look for the same cable under the TeleFlex name.

kind of strange to lose the steering and throttle cables at the same time. I would disconnect the cables at the jets (it should be a simple pin or bolt) and see if they move freely to help diagnose it better, maybe the got bound or pinched somehow,

What did the dealer do, just change the oil and plugs?

Do you have a maintenance manual ? it shows the connection points at the jet very clearly

@Topper232 , @Murf'n'surf is 100% correct. I have a boat 2 years older than yours and had to replace my steering cables 2 years ago. I did initially force some lubricant into the cable sheath which freed up only one cable. I then realized this would only delay the Inevitable. Whereas it's the beginning of the season replace them. Otherwise they will plague you all season and possibly even break.
The teleflex #'s should be on the old cable sheaths. Don't pull the old cables out till you have the new ones on hand as you want to tape the new cable to the old to thread it through the boat. When you're ready I'll pull my installation links from the other site.

Just to clarify, you most likely need steering and shifting cables. The throttle cables should be fine. You can check the throttle cables by pressing the button at the bottom of the throttles to disengage the shift cables and move the throttle linkages only.

It is reasonably easy to force inject some synthetic oil in as a cable lube using air pressure. I have done this successfully to a number of cable systems, but not the yamaha yet. Cam.

@Topper232 . Just digging out some of my notes on my steering cable replacement. I did not do the shifter cables.

The starboard side steering cable is Teleflex part #SSC21918. The Port side is SSC21919. The last two digits denote the cable length in feet from tip to tip. This is for my 2006 SX230HO. I would think yours are the same. You should be able to find the steering cable #'s on the cable sheath behind the helm. The port side cable is one foot longer.
I ordered my cables from MARINE PARTS SOURCE. They sell through Amazon. You can call them direct at 866-388-0390. At the time they offered free shipping.

Here are some threads from the other site that might help.
http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43955&p=390139#p373753

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=35907#p299861

Thanks all. Yes I do boat in salt water, almost exclusively. Murf I believe that you are correct, it's the shift cables and not the actual "throttle" portion. Just when I thought that I had the boat ready this weekend

do you guys know if theses are the same parts for the 2007 AR230? I have done several searches and don't find anyone that lists the port and starboard cables separately. Frustrating.

Time to replace the cables. You can try putting grease at the cable ends and working them in and out but usually by the time the cable is getting stiff it's life is about over. Try not to buy the Yamaha replacement cables because they are overpriced, look for the same cable under the TeleFlex name.
Murf did you replace the shift cables also, is there a write up somewhere on site showing the replacement procedure, it is time for me to replace steering and shift cable, I dont believe steering will be a big deal but not sure about shift cables. thank you

I replaced my steering cables last year not a hard job at all I got mine from go2marine

Murf did you replace the shift cables also, is there a write up somewhere on site showing the replacement procedure, it is time for me to replace steering and shift cable, I dont believe steering will be a big deal but not sure about shift cables. thank you
Yep...replaced my shift cables as well. Same process as the steering.

There was a pic on here of the go thru socket set from harbor freight doe any one know where pic is. I was at harbor freight and their set only went to 3/4 I believe I need 7/8.

@fairpilot Google: "socket plumbing" then check images.
that's what I used - bought my set at Lowes as a "shower valve set"

It is a 7/8 I need correct

on my 232, I usually lube the shift linkages at the nozzles frequently.

A couple of years ago, the steering also started squeaking. I then used the same teflon grease I use on the shift cables on the steering. I spray behind the wheel where it goes into the dash, then also into the cables behind the helm. Work the steering back and forth, and this keeps it moving freely...

11 year of mostly salt water it's time to change them just being preventive before one breaks

It is a 7/8 I need correct

I don't know for sure but in one of the FAQ threads railmonkey said it was a 22mm which converts to 7/8

Back