• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Still Can Not Go Over 22 MPH!

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
It’s been a while I know, we bought an RV (TAB 320 Boondock) and have been camping like crazy! Since we’ve been doing that, I decided to take the AR195 to a guy who said he’s been working on Yamaha Jet Boats for over 30 years, so I told him what was going on and after a few weeks he could not find anything wrong! Nothing came up on the diagnostic codes, nothing! He kept saying what I’ve been saying, this thing runs so smooth and good. Impeller was good, throttle was working fine, adjusted the gate. We did notice that our first run out we got 22 verses 21 and it did accelerate quicker after he worked on it. I asked if he thought there was any damage I could do to keep running it like this and he said he didn’t think so. He’s the kicker, he didn’t charge me anything! He said he couldn’t fix it and felt like he should charge me. An honest man! I wanted to pay him for something, since he spent so much time and asked was there any maintenance he could do. He said my Output Shaft Bearing could use some grease, so I told him to do that. It was the least that I could do.
As a caveat, he did say his software was a few years old and this new year 2023 he was going to update it if I wanted to bring it back and see if maybe with the newer software something would come up. We’ve decided to just enjoy the boat and not worry about it until we can’t use it.
We never purchased the boat to go fast, we just wanted to be out on the water.

Would love to hear what you guys think about it now that it’s been to a real mechanic.

I even asked about the Supercharger the clutch? He said if they were bad, that would have come up in the codes. Thoughts.....

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hopefully you’ll hear from other AR195 owners but my reaction is that is way too slow. Which tells me there is a problem somewhere. What are the rpms when you’re going that speed? How many people in the boat? Can you check it with a gps speedo like on Waze?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well jet boats that run good have to transfer all that power to the water so i'd be looking at the jet pump and jet tunnel... maybe the jet tunnel needs to be resealed or the impeller/wear ring is worn... if the boat is idling in the water do you see tiny bubbles in the jet stream? this could indicate an air leak in the pump or debris in the pump even fishing line can disrupt the flow...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
well jet boats that run good have to transfer all that power to the water so i'd be looking at the jet pump and jet tunnel... maybe the jet tunnel needs to be resealed or the impeller/wear ring is worn... if the boat is idling in the water do you see tiny bubbles in the jet stream? this could indicate an air leak in the pump or debris in the pump even fishing line can disrupt the flow...
I concur...likely cavitation causing poor flow. It doesn't take much with a single engine to dramatically reduce the jet flow and cut output. Use a flashlight when the boat is on the trailer and get under the boat to check the intake tunnel. The sealant should be smooth and even all around the tunnel. Check the impeller and shaft for any signs of damage or debris. Even a small piece of wood stuck in the impeller will really cut the power.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'd like to know RPMs. If you can't get above 6k I would put my money on a bad supercharger clutch. Easy to check this.... I don't think it comes up in codes. Pull the hose off above the clutch and see if the wheel spins both ways. Takes 5 minutes.

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hopefully you’ll hear from other AR195 owners but my reaction is that is way too slow. Which tells me there is a problem somewhere. What are the rpms when you’re going that speed? How many people in the boat? Can you check it with a gps speedo like on Waze?
Between 51 52 rmp’s I have a video posting on it. Just me and my wife. Navionics will show us about 24-25 mph.
When I first told him about it, I told him that about 2 years ago we hit a wave wrong that slammed us so hard it broke the left windshield brace. Since then we have never been able to go fast. He thought from that he knew exactly what that was, there is something that he says comes loose sometimes and it would restrict airflow, but that wasn’t it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Between 51 52 rmp’s I have a video posting on it. Just me and my wife. Navionics will show us about 24-25 mph.
When I first told him about it, I told him that about 2 years ago we hit a wave wrong that slammed us so hard it broke the left windshield brace. Since then we have never been able to go fast. He thought from that he knew exactly what that was, there is something that he says comes loose sometimes and it would restrict airflow, but that wasn’t it.
If I was a betting man... I am going SC clutch based on this.

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Here’s video I did a while back, but it’s doing the same thing still.

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We have a new dealer, well old dealer who has been selling just Yamaha Jet Skis, not boats, but now they are selling the new Jet Boats, went in there last month and said, “Remember me? About a 2 years ago I asked if you work on jet boats and you said no, now since you are selling them will you be serving them?” Guess what, now they say they are, so if I put it back in the shop, I might see if they can figure it out, but I promise you, they will be charging me for their time!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If I was a betting man... I am going SC clutch based on this.
Isn’t the SC clutch electrically activated? Can one tell if the SC is turning by just looking at the engine while it is running?

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not sure about back leaving water, but front was very high, it’s possible. If that happened so long ago and we’ve been using the boat for almost a year since, would we have any other problems? The boat runs like a scalded dog, just like the throttle stops at 22 mph. Our normal routine is start out at wake speed, get out of the wake zone, got about 8 mph. Anchor at our spot for most of the day, then we open her up (22 mph) and come back home. Been doing that same thing for about a year, however we did go to Swansboro and stayed about 12-15 mph both ways, no problems. Just saying, since we don’t care about going fast, is this harming the boat? That is my only concern. However we know if we go to sell the boat this will have to be fixed. No one will want a boat like that and can only go 22.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
We have a new dealer, well old dealer who has been selling just Yamaha Jet Skis, not boats, but now they are selling the new Jet Boats, went in there last month and said, “Remember me? About a 2 years ago I asked if you work on jet boats and you said no, now since you are selling them will you be serving them?” Guess what, now they say they are, so if I put it back in the shop, I might see if they can figure it out, but I promise you, they will be charging me for their time!
Just check it your self, it takes a phillips screw driver and 5 minutes.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Isn’t the SC clutch electrically activated? Can one tell if the SC is turning by just looking at the engine while it is running?
I wouldn't test anything with it running. It is real easy to test on the trailer. Just un-screw hose clamp, lift up hose, and reach down to see if it spins freely in both directions.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I wouldn't test anything with it running. It is real easy to test on the trailer. Just un-screw hose clamp, lift up hose, and reach down to see if it spins freely in both directions.
I see now how it is checked.. I’ve seen other crank driven SC’s and you could see the belt turning the pulley…

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not sure about back leaving water, but front was very high, it’s possible. If that happened so long ago and we’ve been using the boat for almost a year since, would we have any other problems? The boat runs like a scalded dog, just like the throttle stops at 22 mph. Our normal routine is start out at wake speed, get out of the wake zone, got about 8 mph. Anchor at our spot for most of the day, then we open her up (22 mph) and come back home. Been doing that same thing for about a year, however we did go to Swansboro and stayed about 12-15 mph both ways, no problems. Just saying, since we don’t care about going fast, is this harming the boat? That is my only concern. However we know if we go to sell the boat this will have to be fixed. No one will want a boat like that and can only go 22.
Sounds like a relatively simple fix Don… check it out and if the SC can turn both ways you know the clutch is toast. Get it fixed and it will be right as rain.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That reminds me of another issue some people have had - the pressurized hose from the supercharger to the intercooler can come loose and pressure drops off cutting horsepower. Check that hose to ensure it's secure and airtight or hasn't fallen off.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
That reminds me of another issue some people have had - the pressurized hose from the supercharger to the intercooler can come loose and pressure drops off cutting horsepower. Check that hose to ensure it's secure and airtight or hasn't fallen off.
We had an issue on a box truck once. The hose coming from one of the turbos came off killing the power. As soon as we reinstalled it all power was restored. Hopefully that's all it is....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don't know what modes your computer has but on p w c's they have a learning mode that limits the top speed for people learning to drive the engines run great but won't go fast intentionally look in your operation manual just for the heck of it. pump problems cause cavitation so the rpm's go up but not the speed it sounde like the pump is just fine and a broken baffel in the water box would make it run poorly at speed from increased back presure I just wonder if it is the computer