• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Storage Space Use

Yamahasx190_2017

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello everyone:
I just join this community today! Super excited to be here lots of good information shared throughout the years on this forum.

I purchased my 2017 Yamaha SX 190 on Saturday I will be be taking her out for the very first time this upcoming weekend. I am not sure what to expect but I've heard lots of good things about this boat.

Anyways, as I make sure I am all setup for the "maiden voyage" I wonder how other people with this similar boat have used their storage compartments? Also I am not much into fishing with rods (if any fishing at all) but I've been told that the long wet storage on the floor of the boat makes a great cooler? Has anyone used it for this purpose?

On a side note I need to call my dealer to find out. But my boat did not come with a fire extinguisher... Is that normal?

Anyways any additional newbie tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Totally normal to not have a fire extinguisher. Pick one up at the local Wal-Mart for not much money. I suggest a first aid kit, and a couple CHEAP pocket knives (in case you have to cut something out of the impeller). Don't forget a PFD for each person on board, and a throwable PFD to sit near the captains seat.

As for storage. I use the ski locker in the floor for my wakeskate, tow ropes (ski and tube), and any floaty toys that get wet from the kids and wife. under the starboard front is bumpers and lines, under the starboard rear are skivests and a cooler port rear are more PFDs, jumper cables/jump box, and a second cooler if needed. Under the port front seat (AR has storage under the seating there, your SX has another captains chair I think) is where the shoes get tossed, and various other doo-dads as necessary. Port storage is our "dry" area with snacks, towels, and the beach bag. Port front storage is mostly empty unless we have a lot of people with a lot of stuff. Then the anchor is in the center front storage.

This boat can hold WAY more than we have taken with us for a single day on the water. Not had ANY issues with storage at all.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The boats don't leave the factory with a fire extinguisher but some dealers do include them. I have a thread here about fire extinguishers in general you can read up on https://jetboaters.net/threads/information-about-fire-extinguishers.13222/

You can stow a ton of gear on these boats. Personally I don't stow anything that is going to get wet in any of the storage compartments that have carpet. In my starboard rear compartment I have a large plastic bin to keep all my fenders, dock lines, etc together. I also put my box anchor in there and the bow filler cushion. In my port rear storage are my onboard battery charger, ballast pump, inflatable pump, ballast bag and if I'm going on a beach trip I remove the ballast bag in place for a 4-pack life jacket kit. My helm storage is everything I plan to use or need access to frequently so I put put my box of first aid, tools and USCG equipment in there along with all of our life jackets. In the starboard bow storage I have my anti-pooling poles and beach chairs. My ski locker is used for all wet stuff (float noodles, Gailforce saddle floats, wet ropes, etc) and it's also where I keep my emergency paddle/dock grabber. I've never had an issue with storage space on the boat and it stores a lot more than you'd think.

Last edited:

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our boat came with a fire extinguisher from the dealership as well as life jackets, everything that is legally needed for 1 person was in the boat when purchased. I guess it depends on the dealership.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's crazy how much you could stuff in these boats. Granted I don't carry this much but it's amazing what you could bring along with you.

jsimanskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations! I picked my AR190 up last weekend and really enjoyed the amount of space - my last boat was tight (and that's being generous, essentially just a small ski locker). All good tips above, but to that I'd add to keep some sunscreen on board. My son is always forgetting to put it on before we go out. So far I'm preferring to keep frequently accessed items (cooler!) in the helm storage or ski locker, as I can see it being a pain to pull the seat cushions frequently with passengers on board.

Be sure to let us know how it runs for you this weekend! Unfortunately, my initial performance was on the low end so I'll be doing some troubleshooting Saturday.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Ski locker - 2 tall coolers, a trash can, some noodles, etc.
Port forward - 8 cheap coast guard required preservers (always on boat to make sure I always have enough if I get checked regardless of what ski jackets I bring), the throwable, and usually a vest or two, a fender and a dock line
Anchor and rode in the anchor locker
Under filler cushion - a plastic bin for shoes
Starboard forward - ski vests
Starboard console - food, bag with towels and clothes, trash bags, first aid kit, flags, fire extinguisher, ski gloves, table and leg (if I'm going to use it) slid in next to the outer hull, etc.
Glove box - iPod Touch for music, camera, G0Pro, tower mount, clips to hang up towels to dry, registration and insurance.
Starboard rear - tool box, clean up stuff, electric inflator, two hippity hops for tie ups ( @haknslash can vouch for my genius ;))
Port rear - (2) dock demon rod and reels and a small tackle box, cushions for the swim platform, tube and the blow up thing you put on the rope to keep it out of the wake, flag pole, (3) fenders and dock lines, and fire extinguisher #2
Swim platform - various ski/tow ropes.

The (2) coolers are these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006H5B06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006H5B06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Before getting them we kept the cooler and trash under the port rear cushion, but the wear on the cushion was quickly noticeable. If your family is like mine, the only storage that is opened constantly all day is to get at food/drink and to throw away stuff so we moved those items to the two hinged storage locations.

These little boats hold a shocking amount of stuff. I'm not really that packed and everything is easy to get to other than the two swim platform cushions (kept pushed way back) so we don't always use them. If we do use them I usually just leave them snapped in place until time to put her on the trailer. You won't have them anyway.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash After watching that guys video I changed all my on board packing places and now have unbelievable amounts of room. A few weeks ago a few families that were on a pontoon boat watched us beach and unload and at the end of the day the guy says, I cant believe you get all that stuff on that boat! :winkingthumbsup"

Yamahasx190_2017

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congratulations! I picked my AR190 up last weekend and really enjoyed the amount of space - my last boat was tight (and that's being generous, essentially just a small ski locker). All good tips above, but to that I'd add to keep some sunscreen on board. My son is always forgetting to put it on before we go out. So far I'm preferring to keep frequently accessed items (cooler!) in the helm storage or ski locker, as I can see it being a pain to pull the seat cushions frequently with passengers on board.

Be sure to let us know how it runs for you this weekend! Unfortunately, my initial performance was on the low end so I'll be doing some troubleshooting Saturday.
Thank you for the response. Sucks that the ride was not great. :( Although I am excited about the first trip. I am a little nervous cause I am not sure what to expect. I know I wanted a boat but I am just coming off a Yamaha jetski.

What's type of performance issues did you find on the first ride?

jsimanskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the response. Sucks that the ride was not great. :( Although I am excited about the first trip. I am a little nervous cause I am not sure what to expect. I know I wanted a boat but I am just coming off a Yamaha jetski.

What's type of performance issues did you find on the first ride?
Overall, I felt the boat handled well. No major issues at slow speeds, which I was expecting, given reports. I don't want to make you more nervous, as from what I've seen it looks like experience can vary wildly, but I've got 2 issues that I suspect are related to the pump/intake. First, low top end - lightly loaded on still water, I still never made it above 34-36mph, with the throttle wide open. Didn't see any speed difference between about 6600-7200rpm, in fact. Second, full turns at high speeds felt way too wide. Again, that could be due to low thrust from the pump. Didn't look for blockage as thoroughly as I could have I guess, so hopefully it's something easy like that.

I'd appreciate it if you could let me/us know what kinds of speeds you're getting after your initial break-in period, for comparison. I'm going to follow up after an inspection of the intake, pump and impeller. I've seen some similar reports to mine, but also many people claiming no issues. I've seen a a couple reports that somehow software is limiting top speed during the first 10-hour period, but as far as I can tell that's unsubstantiated. It also doesn't make sense, as the rpms are there, and without a transmission that's the only thing the software could actually limit.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ski locker - 2 tall coolers, a trash can, some noodles, etc.
Port forward - 8 cheap coast guard required preservers (always on boat to make sure I always have enough if I get checked regardless of what ski jackets I bring), the throwable, and usually a vest or two, a fender and a dock line
Anchor and rode in the anchor locker
Under filler cushion - a plastic bin for shoes
Starboard forward - ski vests
Starboard console - food, bag with towels and clothes, trash bags, first aid kit, flags, fire extinguisher, ski gloves, table and leg (if I'm going to use it) slid in next to the outer hull, etc.
Glove box - iPod Touch for music, camera, G0Pro, tower mount, clips to hang up towels to dry, registration and insurance.
Starboard rear - tool box, clean up stuff, electric inflator, two hippity hops for tie ups ( @haknslash can vouch for my genius ;))
Port rear - (2) dock demon rod and reels and a small tackle box, cushions for the swim platform, tube and the blow up thing you put on the rope to keep it out of the wake, flag pole, (3) fenders and dock lines, and fire extinguisher #2
Swim platform - various ski/tow ropes.

The (2) coolers are these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006H5B06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Before getting them we kept the cooler and trash under the port rear cushion, but the wear on the cushion was quickly noticeable. If your family is like mine, the only storage that is opened constantly all day is to get at food/drink and to throw away stuff so we moved those items to the two hinged storage locations.

These little boats hold a shocking amount of stuff. I'm not really that packed and everything is easy to get to other than the two swim platform cushions (kept pushed way back) so we don't always use them. If we do use them I usually just leave them snapped in place until time to put her on the trailer. You won't have them anyway.
I just googled a 'hippity hop'. i agree these would be perfect for tie ups!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup the hippity hop works great. @DBamaC has board racks on his boat that don't swivel and the ball kept enough spacing the boats and towers never touched when waves would rock us.

image.jpeg

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The animal face is an unfortunate reality on the cheapo ones I bought. The deletion of the face should you fined ones without it should not effect it's performance and will allow you to keep the portion of dignity I have to give up every time I use it.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We just need a big sticker and your man card remains intact when you bust the ball out :D

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The animal face is an unfortunate reality on the cheapo ones I bought. The deletion of the face should you fined ones without it should not effect it's performance and will allow you to keep the portion of dignity I have to give up every time I use it.
We just need a big sticker and your man card remains intact when you bust the ball out :D
I disagree...OWN IT! :winkingthumbsup"

I have two young girls and they would get a kick out those.

Yamahasx190_2017

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Overall, I felt the boat handled well. No major issues at slow speeds, which I was expecting, given reports. I don't want to make you more nervous, as from what I've seen it looks like experience can vary wildly, but I've got 2 issues that I suspect are related to the pump/intake. First, low top end - lightly loaded on still water, I still never made it above 34-36mph, with the throttle wide open. Didn't see any speed difference between about 6600-7200rpm, in fact. Second, full turns at high speeds felt way too wide. Again, that could be due to low thrust from the pump. Didn't look for blockage as thoroughly as I could have I guess, so hopefully it's something easy like that.

I'd appreciate it if you could let me/us know what kinds of speeds you're getting after your initial break-in period, for comparison. I'm going to follow up after an inspection of the intake, pump and impeller. I've seen some similar reports to mine, but also many people claiming no issues. I've seen a a couple reports that somehow software is limiting top speed during the first 10-hour period, but as far as I can tell that's unsubstantiated. It also doesn't make sense, as the rpms are there, and without a transmission that's the only thing the software could actually limit.
Hello there!
So I wanted to let you know that yesterday I took her out for the first time. To be fair the ocean was not at optimal conditions. In fact the waves where pretty awful. The boat did handle the waves decently considering the madness. I never felt out of control of the boat. And overall the boat did its job as expected.

Regarding top speed I did have a chance to try that out in the intercostal. My experience was the same to yours never even got close to 40 mph at full throttle.

Do you think this is just where the boat maxes out to? I was told by the dealership that top speed was 42-43. Unless these is a fix we can do I don't see that happening

jsimanskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello there!
So I wanted to let you know that yesterday I took her out for the first time. To be fair the ocean was not at optimal conditions. In fact the waves where pretty awful. The boat did handle the waves decently considering the madness. I never felt out of control of the boat. And overall the boat did its job as expected.

Regarding top speed I did have a chance to try that out in the intercostal. My experience was the same to yours never even got close to 40 mph at full throttle.

Do you think this is just where the boat maxes out to? I was told by the dealership that top speed was 42-43. Unless these is a fix we can do I don't see that happening
I too was told 42-43, and test reports back that up. Which is why I was worried at 3/4 of that, lightly loaded. However, yesterday I did get to 40mph pretty consistently in 1-2ft choppy waters. That was with a little less than half the weight in the bow - when my wife and son moved to the back, we were at 44mph (gps verified). So I'm very happy with that!

I can't pinpoint any big difference, unfortunately. It was a different lake about 30 minutes away (no weeds, although most of my original high speed attempts were in the clear sections of my lake). I did thoroughly flush the engine prior to leaving, cleaned out the intake area (nothing huge, a few small dried weeds, likely from the launch where I brought it in last), and checked and carefully reseated the clean-out plug. I did fill with 20 gallons of fuel (87 octane) at the local station, and added the fuel stabilizer. The first weekend was all on the dealer's original fill up. Maybe they filled it with stale gas and forgot the stabilizer? Hard to say.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm going to be watching my performance closely but it may just be that my lake is not ideal for higher speeds.

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see varying top speed in my 2016 SX190 between 34-44. I am in a wet slip and with a dirty hull I notice speed drop between 34-36. Once a month i pull the boat, power wash and wax the hull and the mph pops back up to 40+.

I also notice the top speed is best when punching it out of the hole rather than eeking up to top speed.

Give the bottom a nice wax and the top speed will be more consistent in my experience.

Last edited:

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you guys are right where you should be. I have a 17 AR195 and with 4 people and a super light load I Max out mid 40s. Unloaded with just me and a passenger on prime water conditions I've hit 52. Play around with how you have the boat loaded. The heavier the bow the slower the top speed and worse the turning has been for me. I think the wide turns are just parked for the course in these boats. I notice if I let off a little then goose it in the turn it really tighten up for me. Take my opinion with a grain of salt because I've only had mine for a month but have put on 19 hours so I feel I'm getting pretty used to it and figuring out it's quirks