• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

stuck clean out plugs HELP!!!!

joep411

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I have done a million searches and read a million posts just wanted to get some fresh ideas if anything. I got a 2002 LX 2000 at the beginning of the summer when I got it the owner stated that he never removed the plugs ever. I figured that I would work on them at the end of the season and boom here it is time to get moving. After looking at them this weekend it looks that they have been unlocked the whole time, if I push the handle down on both plugs they will not lock down they just pop up when you release downward force on the t handle. I tried ice, a jack, a pry bar and got nothing not even a budge. I can look on the side of the plug and as I push I can see what I believe is the dogs engaging and dis engaging. One weird this is I took all 8 screws off the top of the plug and tried to lever it out with a 2x4 and it did not move either. I have looked at alot of pictures and compared mine to them to ensure mine were fully unlocking and I believe they are. I spoke to my local dealership which was zero help, he actually asked me if they are that stuck why would I want to remove them. Do any of you have any other ideas? I may try the jack again as I was very nervous when I tried it and think I chickened out. My fear is with them being unlocked all summer and all the driving I did they should have blown and didn't. I really hope the PO didn't seal them in.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd doubt that they're glued in. It's probably just that there's a build up of sand, dirt and grime holding them in place. Have you tried soaking them in lube? I'd try soaking them in a penetrating oil overnight then the jack technique. If that doesn't make them budge try removing the screws again and re trying the jack technique. Possibly adding more lube and maybe soaked in ice again. Good luck, keep us posted.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used a ratchet strap to pull them out. I parked the boat under my elevated deck and ran a 1" ratchet strap from the deck down to the plug. Then I tensioned the strap until plug came out. I believe it was an 800 pound break strength strap. You could build a wooden frame or park under a tree to pull from above.

I remember someone had to break a plug into pieces to get it out. I hope it is not that difficult for you.

Since they do not lock I believe you should see this project through to completion.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not exactly sure what the bottom of a LX looks like but you could remove the pumps or grate to get a little easier access to see what they look like from the bottom side, maybe take a picture with your phone to see it better,

If your able, while using the jack above maybe get a hammer or crowbar to tap on the bottom of the plug to help it, or without the jack try to tap it downwards to loosen up some of the crud holding it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well they could be glued in place, I have seen this on several of the older boats due to the plugs coming loose during operation. So here is the situation , the clean out plugs are not inexpensive so if you damage them it will cost you some money to replace them depending on if you can locate some decent used plug or you have to buy new ones. Usually if you deploy the reverse move properly you can remove most weeds from the pump without removing the plugs, however if you suck in a rope or plastic bag that is another story and you would be in a situation. there is an old thread on the other board about removing the clean out plug using a small floor jack and other suggestions also. http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30275.
I have found that if the plug is not glued in place and you are sure the locking dogs are not engaged, with the top of the plug back in place you should be able to loosen the plug by using a piece of 2 by 4 and a stout hammer to tap it down then try to pull it up then repeat tapping it back down and pulling it up use ice and then try again this process should dislodge any crud stuck between the gasket and the ring in the tube,, add a few choice words also it won't make it loosen any faster but you will feel better.

joep411

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I am going to give it a try tomorrow morn, I am going to try all of the above methods. Nothing leads me to believe they are glued in except for the fact that they have been unlocked since I got the boat in June and they have not even moved. I have a bright flashlight and if I look on the side while locking the plug I can see what looks like to be the dogs moving out, when I release I see them disappear into the plug. I have been comparing pics of unlocked plugs, I will be a pro when I'm done. Luckily I have not needed to remove them all season so I keep going back and fourth if I should even wack this bee nest. I know the one time I need them I will be thankful they work.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you can see any hard water deposits around the plug , try some lime away around it over night before you try to remove it

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have never had this problem but reading through this post i had the idea of using the jack and leaving it there with pressure on it if it doesn't come out. U can put a lot of tension on it and then do the ice thing or penetrating oil or lime away.. whatever and leave the jack in place pulling on the plug... every now and then walk by and pump the jack up a little more.. maybe the combo of the lube and the pressure over time will slowly start to release the plug..

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Think of removing a stuck clean out plug by using force like using a tap to thread a hole. When a tap resists turning you back it off and then move forward again.
The plug has a large rubber gasket that can trap sand and other particles under it. By pulling up only you compress those particles and wedge the plug in tighter. However if you pull up and then push down using the 2 by 4 and a hammer taping around the top of the plug then returning to applying pressure to pull it up repeating this process you will eventually loosen the parts and manage to get it to come free with less chance of destroying the plug.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine get glued in in frequently. I think it is the nature of the water you boat in. My water is super clean but there are minerals and fine sediment that glue the plugs in place solid after a week (if I forget). A rope tied 1/4 way up a 5' 2x4 and attached to the plug handle frees them nicely. Remember to grease them well with a silicone grease. Cam.

joep411

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I tried everything up to and including a 10 ton jack with some 1800lb mule tape and it just kept breaking the rope. I don,t want to get into removing the ride plate because I have a feeling that will open up a whole other can of worms with broken bolts. I used 2 cans of WD on 1 plag with ice and left the jack tensioned for 2 days and nothing. I gave up and I am just going to leave them stuck in. on a side note I did get them to lock again.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did you continue to pull them up and then knock them back down to loosen the debris under the gasket?

Firehouse100

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like you have tryied just about everything. If you feel you don't have much to loose you could start with a low solution of Muratic acid and water say 10% solution it will start eating pretty much any debis in there along with possibly the metal. I'm not saying it's not risky but it may work. Just don't breath the fumes.

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Consider removing the tray and rubber tubes that surround the plugs. That will give you a better look at the metal of the locking mech and the cylinder it locks into. Then consider vinegar to dissolve hard water deposits.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
great idea M@_ I hadn't even thought of taking the tray off. My rubber tubes are glued in on the bottom side (but it's an 2007). if you can't get the tubes off you at least give it a few taps with a hammer on the outside to maybe help loosen them up.

joep411

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I may try that this weekend but im leaning more towards just leaving them in, for what I will gain for all the work the risk out weighs the reward.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may try that this weekend but im leaning more towards just leaving them in, for what I will gain for all the work the risk out weighs the reward.
Now you will just need a Seadoo decal! And, you will never get a plug blowout, I don't think!
Just kidding of course.
But seriously, I think I would do the same.

joep411

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I would ally like to get them out but if the PO the plugs this much what kind of mess am i getting myself into with starting to break everything down? And how deep do you get into it to with taking everything apart just be able to clean out a drive in the event that you MIGHT suck up something.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sorry to hear of your woes @joep411 . It's not a matter of if, but when you suck something up. You will, but when is the key. Truth be told, many of these pump blockages are such that you can't get to them without removing g the pump anyway, so losing sleep over it isn't necessary. For me, I would have to have it right. But that is my internal wiring. And I am used to spending more than necessary to make it right. Here's to hoping if you go as is, it is accepted that you have no plugs. Having had a stuck plug, I can tell you it might as well be cemented in. But eventually they break free, if they aren't literally cemented. It's why it is so important to store them outside the hole. Good luck and keep us posted!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The part that would worry me wouldn't be getting them out on purpose, but if they came loose unexpectedly. If you decide to leave them in, which is totally acceptable, I would just make a habit of checking them out now and again to make sure nothing has changed.

FWIW, mine were very stuck when I first got the boat. I didn't think they were ever coming out and was very close to deciding to leave them in. (That's what the previous owner had done for 2 years, and why they were stuck. :meh: ) But, much like @txav8r that little voice in my head wouldn't stop until it was fixed. On a cold morning, well as cold as mornings get in Alabama, I used a nylon strap, a 4x4 and a hydraulic jack and busted them loose. :punch: I was terrified I was going to break the boat, but once the first one came out I had a lot more courage for the second. A couple repair kits later and everything has worked great for the last 2 seasons.