• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stumped-Starter replacement....can it be this difficult??

Kevin Gross

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have 07 AR-230 and am replacing starter as primary power cable corroded at terminal on starter. Do i need to remove exhaust manifold? I have begun this process and am very capable mechanic. Now am feeling this is too complicated, (fasteners difficult or impossible to access, etc.) and there must be an easier way. Have searched forum and cannot find tips, tricks or vids. Any help would be most appreciated.

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It it a pain. I am about 5'10" (or at least I want to be) and must have freaky short arms! I could reach it, but not the bolts. My buddy who is 6' plus had no problem getting it. After pulling a motor and installing the new one, I found lots of places I could get into, but not get out of in the transom! The exhaust manifold is two parts. There are bolts thru the bottom that I do not think will come out with the motor still in the boat. (A maybe wrong about that, but I took mine apart after I had it out of the boat.) See pics below. I would try and fight it from the top 1st before pulling off the exhaust.

EX1.JPG ex2.JPG ex3.jpg

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm 5'7" and I've replaced 3 starts on my Yamaha. 10 mins is all it takes tops to pull it out. Reach around the left side of the motor for the two bolts. Feel for the ground wire to find them

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yap it was that easy for my buddy too. Either I just had one of those days or I am start to slip. I vote for slipping! HA

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Follow the ground. It will lead you right to it. Both bolts are a inch apart. Might need I pry bar if it's stuck. You can pry it from up top

Kevin Gross

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm 5'7" and I've replaced 3 starts on my Yamaha. 10 mins is all it takes tops to pull it out. Reach around the left side of the motor for the two bolts. Feel for the ground wire to find them
Worked like a charm! Thanks so much. now just have to re-assemble the partially dis-assembled exhaust manifold.

Kevin Gross

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Follow the ground. It will lead you right to it. Both bolts are a inch apart. Might need I pry bar if it's stuck. You can pry it from up top
Thanks for the tip, just a little "persuasion" with my longest flat blade screwdriver did the trick!

QCI Sean

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are the bolts facing sideways, towards the front or rear of the boat? I had a hard time even finding the starter yesterday afternoon, let alone the bolts to hold it in place.

Whiskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length