• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stumped - what is this elastic netting for on my 2020 242SE???

Soonerlt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Turned my SX195 into a 242SE this weekend. I’m usually pretty decent at figuring things like this out, but for the life of me I can’t understand what this elastic netting is for on the new boat. It appears to be similar to what is used in SUVs to hold small items in place and it also appears to go with the hooks installed next to the port captain’s chair. I’m sure I’m missing the obvious, but I’m stumped.

Attachments

Fisher4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Got my boat a few weeks ago and it stumped me as well. I came up with the assumption that it is adjustable. Not real sure I am hooking it the correct way more towards the middle of the bungee but seems to work for now. Kinda wish there was just a built in shelve there instead.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just folded it in half on mine and it seems to do the trick. Now if only I could find my glovebox key...

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You’re not the only one. Still haven’t figured out mine either. Nothing in the manual I can find!
Following this thread.

Soonerlt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just folded it in half on mine and it seems to do the trick. Now if only I could find my glovebox key...
@Quad I tried the folding in half method too, but couldn’t quite get it on the hooks (this appears to be the only logical way IMO). I guess I should have probed further when the dealer said it really wasn’t very effective.....

I’ll give it another shot tomorrow.

As for the glove box keys, mine were taped to the back of the glove box with masking tape.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Quad I tried the folding in half method too, but couldn’t quite get it on the hooks (this appears to be the only logical way IMO). I guess I should have probed further when the dealer said it really wasn’t very effective.....

I’ll give it another shot tomorrow.

As for the glove box keys, mine were taped to the back of the glove box with masking tape.
Oh! THAT “X” OF TAPE! I saw it yesterday and noted I needed to pull it off to see what was there. Despite the New England chill today, I may paddle to the mooring to investigate; thanks!!!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You're correct, it actually is for the port side area by the glovebox with the hooks. The bungee net is larger to accommodate soft coolers, garbage cans, etc.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You're correct, it actually is for the port side area by the glovebox with the hooks. The bungee net is larger to accommodate soft coolers, garbage cans, etc.
Agreed... except it’s not really a bungee net, as it should be. It’s grossly oversized/odd sized. That is the problem with it.

Soonerlt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh! THAT “X” OF TAPE! I saw it yesterday and noted I needed to pull it off to see what was there. Despite the New England chill today, I may paddle to the mooring to investigate; thanks!!!
@Quad Would love a pic of your installed net if you happen to go fetch the glove box keys!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not usually something that I take pictures of. But here is the only image I have where I captured it.

Fold it. Hook it. Put a can in there. Without the can it doesn't stay taught

Attachments

Soonerlt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not usually something that I take pictures of. But here is the only image I have where I captured it.

Helpful! Thanks @tabbibus.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Quad Would love a pic of your installed net if you happen to go fetch the glove box keys!
Will do! Didn't get out there today because it was so dang cold. Hopefully tomorrow.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

I installed on the 4 corners as intended, then used black zip ties to hold them in place. It sags (a lot) when not in use. But, I like how it expands plenty for the beach bag etc and holds fine when in use.

Soonerlt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I installed on the 4 corners as intended, then used black zip ties to hold them in place. It sags (a lot) when not in use. But, I like how it expands plenty for the beach bag etc and holds fine when in use.
"Sags" is an understatement. - seems like it is more effective as a tripping hazard than anything else. The zip ties are a great idea though (and discreet).... I can't help but think some marketing guy at Yamaha came up with the idea late in the development phase and all they could source was a 3-foot long netting from an auto supplier.......

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not the greatest pictures as lighting was suboptimal, but this should show the idea. The right side has the “ends” of the net and the left side has the “middle”.

Attachments

Soonerlt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not the greatest pictures as lighting was suboptimal, but this should show the idea. The right side has the “ends” of the net and the left side has the “middle”.
Thanks @Quad
Really appreciate the pic and hope the trip out yielded two glove box keys!

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@SoonerIt - it did! Thanks for the hint!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Soonerlt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @Julian
I found your mod last night while searching the threads. This is validates exactly what I intend to try out. Assuming the carpeted block is to keep the trash can stable and upright while underway?
The block is needed to keep the top of the garbage can from being pressed against the side of the boat. Otherwise the netting pulls the can against the wall and prevents the lid from opening and closing properly.