• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sturgeon Bay WI to Frankfort MI - Crossing Lake Michigan

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Anyone try this journey or similar? A buddy and I were talking about doing this run if we can get some good weather on a couple weekends this year or next. Maybe stay the night in Frankfort or cruise down to Manistee. Or if the women come along maybe make it into a weekend and hit up Leland or wherever is recommended (Lakeland boating mag just had their Port of Call article on Manistee and that’s what prompted this thread). The distance to Frankfort is 59 miles. Looks to be similar distance to the Bi-Mini trip. Also could be a good way to meet up with any Michigan boaters.

Safety is no. 1 on the list for any trip with radio and proper gear. The gas tank in the AR250 is 75 gal so that shouldn’t be a problem. Thoughts appreciated.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Anyone try this journey or similar? A buddy and I were talking about doing this run if we can get some good weather on a couple weekends this year or next. Maybe stay the night in Frankfort or cruise down to Manistee. Or if the women come along maybe make it into a weekend and hit up Leland or wherever is recommended (Lakeland boating mag just had their Port of Call article on Manistee and that’s what prompted this thread). The distance to Frankfort is 59 miles. Looks to be similar distance to the Bi-Mini trip. Also could be a good way to meet up with any Michigan boaters.

Safety is no. 1 on the list for any trip with radio and proper gear. The gas tank in the AR250 is 75 gal so that shouldn’t be a problem. Thoughts appreciated.
Would one do a float plan for a trip like this? Do you register that float plan with the coast guard or another entity? When I used to fly small aircraft you had to file a flight plan and upon arrival you told the entity that the flight plan was filed with that you had arrived safely, or they would start looking for you.

Are you taking just the AR250? Looks like you’d only use about 53% at best cruise (1.5mpg) to get to Frankfurt, so more than enough fuel with a 47% reserve. Looks like another 30 miles down to Manistee...

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Michigan is its own Animal. The wave patterns are different than the ocean. You can easily find yourself in 4-6'+ footers very rapidly as winds change. They can break tightly. Would recommend, in your new boat, that you get out a bit and experience Lake Michigan within a mile or two on a windy day to get a feel for it. See how you can handle 3' footers +. Once you know what you can do and handle then you could plan. I have been out there in 3-4' footers it is not cool at all, winds changed, luckily within a mile of shore and the harbor. I would never attempt to cross it as a solo boat, unless my boat was much bigger.

The closed aspect of the lake creates a sort of bathtub effect. Read up on Seiche's and meteotsunami's as well. Information is everything to understanding that body of water and your safety. I have been doing a lot of reading on the great lakes over the last 6 months.

Also remember lake Michigan is Cold. High 50's water in summer maybe 60'ish at best where you will be crossing. If you go over or in, or there is an issue you need to be able to handle the water temperature till help arrives.

It is very doable, I have talked with those whom do it. Although their boats were a bit bigger. I was contemplating it. If you get nice water I have been told it is a very cool crossing. Also you would want a flexible schedule. If weather patterns change you could be stuck for days, a week or more on the Michigan side.

Last edited:

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Would one do a float plan for a trip like this? Do you register that float plan with the coast guard or another entity? When I used to fly small aircraft you had to file a flight plan and upon arrival you told the entity that the flight plan was filed with that you had arrived safely, or they would start looking for you.

Are you taking just the AR250? Looks like you’d only use about 53% at best cruise (1.5mpg) to get to Frankfurt, so more than enough fuel with a 47% reserve. Looks like another 30 miles down to Manistee...
Not sure if one is needed but I’d look into a plan besides friends/family and maybe the hotel destination if we plan to over night. Depending on availability I would like to have other boats with for the trip.
Fuel seems to be enough with stops to refill once across.

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Lake Michigan is its own Animal. The wave patterns are different than the ocean. You can easily find yourself in 4-6'+ footers very rapidly as winds change. They can break tightly. Would recommend, in your new boat, that you get out a bit and experience Lake Michigan within a mile or two on a windy day to get a feel for it. See how you can handle 3' footers +. Once you know what you can do and handle then you could plan. I have been out there in 3-4' footers it is not cool at all, winds changed, luckily within a mile of shore and the harbor. I would never attempt to cross it as a solo boat, unless my boat was much bigger.

The closed aspect of the lake creates a sort of bathtub effect. Read up on Seiche's and meteotsunami's as well. Information is everything to understanding that body of water and your safety. I have been doing a lot of reading on the great lakes over the last 6 months.

Also remember lake Michigan is Cold. High 50's water in summer maybe 60'ish at best where you will be crossing. If you go over or in, or there is an issue you need to be able to handle the water temperature till help arrives.

It is very doable, I have talked with those whom do it. Although their boats were a bit bigger. I was contemplating it. If you get nice water I have been told it is a very cool crossing. Also you would want a flexible schedule. If weather patterns change you could be stuck for days, a week or more on the Michigan side.
I’ve seen how the weather can change pretty quick. I have been coming to the area for the past 15 yrs or so. My friend and I have been out fishing in his 21 ft Glastron fish and ski for salmon/lake trout a few times a couple miles out. He typically takes it out 3-4 times a season from Sheboygan or Port Washington so just need to take the new boat and learn how it handles.

Ill check out that info. Great to have recommendations about the area we will be boating in roughly half of the summer. This trip has been on the to do list for the past few years so it can wait if weather is looking perfect. Maybe the first couple trips would be across Green Bay to Marinette WI or just journey around the thumb with shore in sight.

This is the info I’m looking for. Preparation is key and hope for the best weather to make the journey possible. Maybe this will spur more adventures!

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve never tried it. We boat in Lake Michigan (near shore) quite a bit and And it can get pretty rough pretty fast. A few years back I was on the high speed ferry out of Milwaukee and some jet skis followed the ferry all the way across. They stayed in the ferry’s wake and it seemed like it made for a smoother ride. i Always wondered if that would make for a smooth ride across in my boat.