• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer advice

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello all, I would like to add some subs in my 2017 212 LS. I am a little torn and need some advice. I am not looking for a ton of bass but I would like clean bass. Are the JL IBs mounted in rear of the cockpit the best option out there? I like the sound of an enclosure but would rather have the space for camping trips, etc. I’ve read someone on here tucked bazooka 10” tubes in the storage side channels that lead back to the transom of the boat. That sounds ideal to me but I don’t know if the bass is muffled at that point. I would hate to cut out for a sub and not happy with the sound.

I would appreciate any input.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depending on how much bass your looking for there are trade offs you can expect between both IB vs enclosure setups. I prefer the sound of a box mainly due to the type of music I partake in. I think the IB setup is very common and gets great reviews. If you prefer a box there are options to run 10s in small enclosures (sealed or ported) do you have an amp already?

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, I have a Rockford Fosgate PM1000/5. I ran the factory Polks on the F/R channels and it sounds great. It has a 400 watt subwoofer channel.

I prefer 2 small sealed enclosures myself on each side.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can run a few diff brands depending on your prefrence...just need to find something that takes 200 watts each in a small box and properly vent it and you will be good to go. Depending on where you boat marine rated subs might be your best bet. Otherwise regular car audio subs will suffice.

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I decided on a couple of M10IB5 and would like to mount one directly behind the captain's chair (facing forward) and the other on behind the co-captain's chair (facing forward as well). The surface there has the slight curve. I believe that this is where the stock subwoofer on the 2017+ 212X is installed from the factory. Can someone that owns a late model 212X chime in and tell if there is a gasket from the factory to offset the curvature?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice choice....what will you be running them with?

I know the curvature on the 240s are pretty tough to mount them in those locations, but a gasket could easily make it work.

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The PM1000x5 puts out 300w @ 2ohms for the subwoofer channel. I'm going to try that for now. I may add a PM500x1bd or a PM1000x1bd if I run into any issues. I'm looking for well dispersed and full sound, not the loudest.

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I finally installed my subs yesterday. It was getting late so I did not get a chance to complete the wiring but I’m really happy how they came out. It is tucked away and didn’t take up any storage space. Hopefully I’ll be doing a sound test tomorrow. Here are some photos.

C13D070E-050E-4CE6-93A0-2C8F36835C5E.jpeg 2E819A83-FD97-4A4C-9CC2-A3D6DCE1933E.jpeg 2B196269-BB41-477C-8039-DBDDE0C3580D.jpeg 190C73DF-E150-4D3D-B437-05EED91927BA.jpeg 46337971-EF4E-47FD-86B9-467A9F174AE6.jpeg 3F7A4D7B-924C-4F4A-B980-DBA2A9DD7AA1.jpeg