• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer Placement

HuevoSplash

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While I have spent plenty of time ON boats, I just recently purchased my first boat. It is a 2014 Yamaha AR190. I have been surfing around this site for a few weeks now doing research on a few things that I would like to do with it. Namely, adding a Deep Cycle House Battery for a Dual Battery setup, replacing the impeller and adding a Lucky 13, and upgrading the sound system. I have already swapped out the head unit and will add a couple controllers (one at the helm and one at the stern).

Sorry, getting to the point of this post. In all the reading that I have done on this forum, I have seen a bunch of different ideas on Subwoofer placement, boxed and hull mounted, vented and non-vented, etc.. I purchased two sets of Infinity Kappa 6125M 6.5" Coaxial speakers to swap out the factory 6.5's and two Infinity Kappa 1010M Subwoofers along with two Soundstream ST4.1000D Amps to power everything. For the 6.5's, I will just open up the factory holes a bit to accept them, but for the 10's I am fairly well set on not cutting holes into the hull for the installation.

I am trying to be conscious of space in the boat, but also want to get great sound from these subs. The subs are Infinite Baffle, and I have ready varying opinions on this forum about running IB Sub as free air vs. boxed and I am not really opposed to either, depending on how big the boxes would need to be if I went that route. Looking through this forum I have seen a number of places that people have put the subs in boxes, but they all seem to take up a bunch of much needed space. I was looking around the boat for some other potential locations and I found a place under the rear seats that I thought could be used for free air installation, and possibly even boxed and I wanted to get some feedback on whether anyone has used this location and/or what people thought about it. Some people may use the long gap behind it for skis or poles or something, but I don't have a need for that space.

1. First thought is to build a panel that would securely hold the sub in these two locations as free air, and just cut enough under the seat cushion to vent into the cabin
2. Second thought is to use the same location, but build a box that would keep it in the corner and out of the way (not sure there is enough room for the size box that would be required because I have not found any information on minimum cubic feet needed if boxed)

I am not an audiophile by all means, but I do like my music to sound good and full range as possible. I have installed many car stereo systems and custom built boxes for very odd applications. I am working on getting the Dual Battery setup completed and none of this will be done until that is finished, so I have time to figure it all out. While I have done a lot of searching and reading on the forum, I know there is a lot more, so if need be, just point me in the direction of threads you think may be helpful rather than having to type out the same thing for the 100th time. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't understand why people are opposed to IB subwoofers, they are a great option in a boat since they don't take up space. If you are putting subs under seats without venting into the cabin somehow, you are wasting your money. Is there enough room to mount it in a IB configuration behind the captain's chair?

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
they will fit next to the factory coaxial spots in the rear lower portion behind each chair. don't take up your storage if you do not have to. obviously check depth but i have 2 JL 8" IB in those spots with no issues. tape it up and cut away lol

HuevoSplash

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't understand why people are opposed to IB subwoofers, they are a great option in a boat since they don't take up space. If you are putting subs under seats without venting into the cabin somehow, you are wasting your money. Is there enough room to mount it in a IB configuration behind the captain's chair?
I will have to check ripler, but I do not think so. I know they are too tall for the walls around the corner under the rear-side seats, which I think is the same height, because that was where I initially thought about putting them. I know that I cannot fit one in that position on the Port side because it has the side-facing bench seat and it is too tall to fit in that space.

HuevoSplash

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
they will fit next to the factory coaxial spots in the rear lower portion behind each chair. don't take up your storage if you do not have to. obviously check depth but i have 2 JL 8" IB in those spots with no issues. tape it up and cut away lol
Thanks Yamahaul, as I just mentioned to ripler, I will have to check whether one will fit behind the captain's chair or not, but with the side-facing bench seat, I know that one will not fit on the port side. These 10's are 11 5/8" from edge to edge.

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2021 SX210 with a 12" tube in the port side gunwale. Works as well as a sub in the trunk of a car.
IMG_20210405_172858089.jpg

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks Yamahaul, as I just mentioned to ripler, I will have to check whether one will fit behind the captain's chair or not, but with the side-facing bench seat, I know that one will not fit on the port side. These 10's are 11 5/8" from edge to edge.
sorry I was thinking depth not height.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This, anyone opposed doesn’t know what their talking about. The only argument is lack of big bass or low lows. but even then you are talking serious bass, and there isn’t room in a boat for a low tuned box. Two 10IB subs is a lot of output. IB subs sound phenomenal and blend better than most set ups.

Tommy Bierly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I originally didn't want to cut holes, so I bought a powered (250w) bazooka 10" sub. It was ok.

added two 10" JL M-6s (250w each) and they pound!

I've got "problems," because now I want to add the JL M-7 12 inch sub (600w) too...

...I'm a grownup

HuevoSplash

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I originally didn't want to cut holes, so I bought a powered (250w) bazooka 10" sub. It was ok.

added two 10" JL M-6s (250w each) and they pound!

I've got "problems," because now I want to add the JL M-7 12 inch sub (600w) too...

...I'm a grownup
I understand completely. I'm a grownup too...while I know that a boat hull acting as a big speaker box, even some good 6.5" speakers with enough power to push them sounds pretty darn good, I just couldn't help but to order not only ONE 10" Sub, but TWO for some more bump.

Probably the most grownup part of what I am doing is trying to conserve space so that there is more room for all the crap me family wants to bring with us on the boat! 🤣

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 19'er and started with a Kicker 10" bass tube under the bench seat on the port side running about 400-600W max.
It sounded ok, the problem was you could really only feel the bass from certain spots on the boat.

Soo this year I added a ported loaded enclosure w/ Kicker L7 Q-class 10" sub in the port & helm storage areas in addition to the bass tube and now its reallllll nice. You dont really get the super duper low tones due to the way the boxes are tuned but you definitely feel anything 35hz and up in your chest.

One of the best comments so far was something along the lines of someone felt like they were in Jurassic Park and a T-Rex was walking next to them LOL

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you happy with the sound even though its under the seat? I am looking at this exact spot. What sub and box did you use?
It's a Rockville 12" tube sub and amp combo. It's not as loud as it would be mounted directly in the gunwale, but it provides sufficient "thump". If I need it louder, I can open the seat, but I've never really had any issue with it

blackcamaro23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a Rockville 12" tube sub and amp combo. It's not as loud as it would be mounted directly in the gunwale, but it provides sufficient "thump". If I need it louder, I can open the seat, but I've never really had any issue with it
Thank for the info. Did you build a custom box? or found one online?

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same boat and installed a 10" JL IB sub in the side wall next to the captain's seat and it fits nicely there and sounds great. No loss of storage space either.

blackcamaro23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same boat and installed a 10" JL IB sub in the side wall next to the captain's seat and it fits nicely there and sounds great. No loss of storage space either.
Awesome! Do you have any pictures? You have separate amp for the subwoofer?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Assuming I ever make it to putting a 10in on my '17 AR190.....my intention was to put it in the wall on the starboard side by the captains feet. There is plenty of both height, width, and depth to mount a decent IB sub in that location. Wiring will be easy since you can mount the amp behind the helm (short speaker runs). The RCA signal wires will run around the front of the boat (already have a remote wire there), and power can come across the top of the gas tank.

You haven't had anxiety about cutting a hole in your boat until you've made a cut like this: a 10-ish inch hole is NOTHING in comparison :D
1632857916689.png

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^^^ this is exactly what I did. Except I just ran the RCA straight across the front of the ski locker. No need to route it around the front of the boat. This sub rocks and between it and the Kenwood amp, didn’t break the bank. ED802CBD-0CB4-4BBB-8CE3-9F4EAE2C491F.jpeg7DC196E0-5C98-4183-8934-5CC6B241EBC9.jpegA901E31D-D1A1-4DD7-BAC0-F945D93C83BC.jpeg