• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer size and location

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello

I just picked up my new AR240 and Im looking at swapping the inboats with all JL audio MX650s, M1000/5 amp.

My question relates to subwoofer size and placement.

In my last boat (2011 242 LS) I had a ported 15" in the port helm compartment and it pounded.

I know I dont want IB subs, listen mostly to hip-hop so Im looking at a putting a 12w6 ported in the port helm like I had before and just venting that door with a bigger grill at the bottom.

The other option would be either 2 10's or 12 JL W3's under the seats with vents for the sound to escape.

Anyone have any expecrience or heard the W6s, are they pretty loud, ported box is only 1.3cu ft.

The JL amp puts out max power at 2hms, so 600w rms.

Open to ideas and suggestions to get me clean pounding bass.

Thanks!

Jason

20170429_115109.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol over it. Id recomend going under tje seats. If your hell bent on going non IB pit them in a nice box, get some L brackets from lowes screw it to the floor and jam out. Putting it in the helm will cause to much rattling for my taste with how thin that door is. As far as the amps go, i am running both my 6 channel JL amls at 4 ohms. Reason being is the lower the ohms the harder the amp has to work, thus producing more heat. Since most of us are out in the summer the amps get warm already. Just my take on it. I run 2 sealed boxes with my 10's. I have been a fan of sealed boxes since i got my first car. Ported is more accurate of bass but sealed hit harder.
20170128_145542.jpg 20170128_145537.jpg 20170128_145532.jpg 20170204_153304.jpg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
W6s are bad ass, but not as bad ass as the W7s! My friend has the 12tw3 slim woofer, it's cool, but it doesn't sound as good as a regular w3. I'm a huge jl fan. My mustang is jl, my rv is jl, my jeep is jl, my crown vic is jl, and my boat is jl. I've had experience with most types they sell. I have top of the line v? series 6x9s in my Vic with 100w rms each. It sounds and hits harder and cleaner than a 8" w0, or any other random kicker, etc. The magnets are larger than the 12w0s. Their marine line seems to be low to mid quality compared to the other stuff. Going up a level in series makes a big difference! A single 12w7 with a 1000w is totally insane. It will rattle your eye balls and blow out a lighter from 6' away.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Two 12 each in their own box. Both in storage compartment. Didn't want to cut holes in the boat. Sounds great. Just prop the door open. 20160720_180532.jpg

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@DCB-270 that's how I had my last boat, a ported 15" and it slammed!! It seems like it would rattle a lot, but mine wasnt that bad, and I feel it made the sound a tad louder inside there

Im not a fan of cutting into the boat either, but I see quite a few guys doing it to go free air.

@Drift Away yoursetup looks like a solid setup, how does it pound.

I listen to hip/hop mostly so I like deep bass, hence going with a 12 vs 10s.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_0754.JPG

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hello

I just picked up my new AR240 and Im looking at swapping the inboats with all JL audio MX650s, M1000/5 amp.

My question relates to subwoofer size and placement.

In my last boat (2011 242 LS) I had a ported 15" in the port helm compartment and it pounded.

I know I dont want IB subs, listen mostly to hip-hop so Im looking at a putting a 12w6 ported in the port helm like I had before and just venting that door with a bigger grill at the bottom.

The other option would be either 2 10's or 12 JL W3's under the seats with vents for the sound to escape.

Anyone have any expecrience or heard the W6s, are they pretty loud, ported box is only 1.3cu ft.

The JL amp puts out max power at 2hms, so 600w rms.

Open to ideas and suggestions to get me clean pounding bass.

Thanks!

Jason

View attachment 55111
I have always prefered sealed boxes especially if it's going to be behind or under seats. Just makes it seem cleaner sounding. I like 2 10's over a single 12 but many 12's go lower than 10's. 10's seem to be my personal sweet spot but everyone is different!

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Jaylex I love the way a 15 sounds. I starred with one 12 and realized I had just enough room for another.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Jaylex I love the way a 15 sounds. I starred with one 12 and realized I had just enough room for another.
I don't remember if this is correct off the top of my head but I thought two 10's has more surface area than one 12 and two 12's has more surface area than one 15. I have only ever helped with one install on a 15" and it WAS amazing but it was NOT clear on the orchestral type of music. The kid wanted a bandpass box in his buick that rattled to pieces too, so I can't say it was built for clarity.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I don't remember if this is correct off the top of my head but I thought two 10's has more surface area than one 12 and two 12's has more surface area than one 15. I have only ever helped with one install on a 15" and it WAS amazing but it was NOT clear on the orchestral type of music. The kid wanted a bandpass box in his buick that rattled to pieces too, so I can't say it was built for clarity.
Good to hear from you again. Hope all is well with you and you family. Prayers to you guys.
I parked on a beach once and a guy had some deep bass going. I asked is that a 15? Sure enough.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good to see you back posting. As fas the 15"s go. They pound no out there they just eat up so much damn room. Anyone whose is planning to Bimini trip is already looking at their boat knowing space is at a premium

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never heard a good sounding 15. I don't doubt they exist, they're just rare. The whole 8 vs 10, 12, dual 10s, etc is only relative for the same brand and class. A high powered, high excursion quality 10 will pound harder and sound cleaner than 2 low grade 12s. The simple test is "how big is the magnet, and how much does it weigh". If a single woofer (no box) weighs 40+lb, it's gonna slam!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Good to hear from you again. Hope all is well with you and you family. Prayers to you guys.
I parked on a beach once and a guy had some deep bass going. I asked is that a 15? Sure enough.
Yup i am alive and well. So much therapy that i get worn out and much of it is "brain therapy" so it's a lot more sleeping otherwise i get pretty cranky and with all my wife does for me i know better than to be cranky around her!

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I've heard some great 13.5 and 15-inch subs. If you have not, then you haven't experienced a good one or you haven't experienced good execution.
Yes, the greatest surface area, no matter how you achieve it, determines the peak output level. But a quantity of ten 8" subs won't go any lower than a single 8" sub.
With larger subs, it is not necessarily about the ultimate low reach, although they do often go lower, it is more about the shape of the bass curve as they go deep. If you really want to separate the marrow from the bone, it takes a larger sub to go deeper.
The size of the magnet and weight of the subwoofer doesn't really determine a well-rounded subwoofer performance. A powerful engine uses a precise mixture of air and gas. Too much of either is counter-productive. An audio transducer is no different. Moving mass, motor strength, compliance, and many other factors have to balance if you want accuracy.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 2 12" in the starboard bench seats and could never been happier. Off course I cut 2 6" venting holes in the fiberglass to let them breathe tho.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have 2 12" in the starboard bench seats and could never been happier. Off course I cut 2 6" venting holes in the fiberglass to let them breathe tho.
Can you post photos of your (2)12" setup?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FloJet I would like to see your setup as well.

Sealed or ported?

How did you determine the size of the vent you used.

I like the idea of putting them under the seat on each side and then venting them, but having them inside the Pot helm for my last setup helped to even the bass out throughout the boat since it was closer to the middle.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Markk @jal
@FloJet I would like to see your setup as well.

Sealed or ported?

How did you determine the size of the vent you used.

I like the idea of putting them under the seat on each side and then venting them, but having them inside the Pot helm for my last setup helped to even the bass out throughout the boat since it was closer to the middle.
@Markk
They are vented. See attached photos. Crazy thing is there still plenty of room in there to upgrade later. Those grille I put on the outside bench seats cost me Luke $15 or something on Amazon. They actually match the boat's colors well. This weekend I'm going to point my subs toward the hull/gunwal.

Attachments

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
i would use a box design program and see what would sound better, 1.3cu ft sealed or ported. My experience has been manufacturer specs are usually in the minimum box sizemside if the equation, it works with what they suggest but a larger box will sound a lot better. Might be worth looking into

15's can sound awesome, actually the best system I heard used 18's IB..... simply amazing how musician those huge speakers were. Always thought 10's and 12's for rock/alternative, 15+ for rap only and wow was I wrong. The wrong box can make a crappy speaker sound great.... just like a great box can make a crappy speaker sound great.

The W6 line is great, personally never owned but listened to several over the years. Some sales people at my local shop sprefer them to the W7 line. I do think there are better speaker options then JL, often times for less or similar money, then again I have always been one who doesn't follow the norm or those big brands :)