• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer vents

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a "bazooka" style 8" subwoofer in the port rear compartment of my AR195. As you would expect, it sounds much better when the seat is lifted and the air can actually escape.

I would like to add a vent through the fiberglass so that the air can move when the seat is down. I know there are some specific ones on the market like the popular Roswell vents, but they're pushing $80 and are overkill for my little sub.

There are a ton of generic marine vents to allow airflow to enclosed compartments. Some have louvers, some are straight. Plastic or stainless, they usually cost anywhere from $10-25. Does anyone see any reasons NOT to use a vent like this? The vent will be hidden under the port bench seat so it won't really be visible. I currently do not have any plans to replace the sub unless it dies.

h2oskierfl95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bass is a very low frequency and won't have any issue with louvers or anything like that. The one thing to keep in mind is you want to be able to pass as much air through the vent as is being pushed by the sub itself. Ideally, for an 8 inch woofer, you would want at least an 8 inch vent to get the most sound.

blthlt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Yea I'm not sure this is correct. I wouldn't think you need an 8" vent for an 8" subwoofer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a "bazooka" style 8" subwoofer in the port rear compartment of my AR195. As you would expect, it sounds much better when the seat is lifted and the air can actually escape.

I would like to add a vent through the fiberglass so that the air can move when the seat is down. I know there are some specific ones on the market like the popular Roswell vents, but they're pushing $80 and are overkill for my little sub.

There are a ton of generic marine vents to allow airflow to enclosed compartments. Some have louvers, some are straight. Plastic or stainless, they usually cost anywhere from $10-25. Does anyone see any reasons NOT to use a vent like this? The vent will be hidden under the port bench seat so it won't really be visible. I currently do not have any plans to replace the sub unless it dies.
Perhaps post a link to the actual vent you are thinking of using....

h2oskierfl95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yea I'm not sure this is correct. I wouldn't think you need an 8" vent for an 8" subwoofer.
You definitely do not NEED it, no. But for the best and truest sound, you would want it. Because he is using a "bazooka style" enclosure, the sub is already in a ported enclosure. That means it is moving a lot of air under the seat. If the vent is not equal to or greater than the woofer surface area, you have basically created a bandpass type enclosure. The air that can't get out of the smaller port fast enough will try and escape between the cushion. The padding will insulate and kill the sound. This WILL work, but it will be a very muddy sound and not very desirable. It really boils down to your personal preference.

A good analogy is your car. If you turn up your stereo and crack a window open, you CAN hear it outside the car. But you will hear it much louder and clearer if you open you window the whole way.