• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked in the tube rope

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
BRAND SPANKIN' NEW to the forum. Just got delivery of a 2016 223 VRX and we sucked in the tube rope on day one. That stopped our day of fun. Limped it to the trailer and spent the next few hours trying to unravel it. Got most of it out, however there's still some wrapped around the shaft right at the impeller. I had my kids underneath with their smaller hands trying to cut the rope but those tube ropes are pretty beefy. There are two panels I see that can be removed for better access. Any other tricks that anyone knows of? It's the 4th of July and the we want to get out today.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you remove the spark plugs you can spin the shaft backwards to unwind the rope.

Personally I would take it to the dealer and remind them that their marketing says that ropes do not wind up around the shaft on BRP drives and demand they fix it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Unfortunately there is no easy fix for this....just get up under there and keep cutting. Box cutter with the curved blade that you pull towards you is the best blade for this.

You have earned the honor of 10 Trophy points though for sucking up a rope....your first day out and first post on the forum! But that doesn't help get you out on the water any faster....sorry.

Needless to say...you will want to have a rope spotter (ideally and adult) from now on. I name someone to this job, and am in constant contact with them while engines are on....and before I start them "Rope clear?" and I wait for confirmation before starting.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Can't find the spark plugs. Where are they?

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
BRAND SPANKIN' NEW to the forum. Just got delivery of a 2016 223 VRX and we sucked in the tube rope on day one. That stopped our day of fun. Limped it to the trailer and spent the next few hours trying to unravel it. Got most of it out, however there's still some wrapped around the shaft right at the impeller. I had my kids underneath with their smaller hands trying to cut the rope but those tube ropes are pretty beefy. There are two panels I see that can be removed for better access. Any other tricks that anyone knows of? It's the 4th of July and the we want to get out today.

Here is a pic of where it's wound up

Attachments

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a pic of where it's wound up
I would say - definitely pull the pump.

Great picture, by the way! Thank you for sharing.

I am very impressed, actually. I think that the shaft/shield really did its job by limiting the amount of rope that ended up winding up around the shaft - just a small stretch at the impeller, it seems. Otherwise, it could be catastrophic quickly - rope can wind up tight along the shaft and "grow" into a cocoon that destroys fiberglass shaft tunnel. Yamahas are susceptible to that. Apparently, Chaps are not prone to that. That is a huge plus, I would think.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@swatski That image was taken this morning after about 4 hours of unraveling and cutting yesterday and another hour or so this morning. Like I said, most of it is removed. If I take it to the water and try to crank the engines, do you think it'll cut up the rest of it (as Chaparral advertises) and spit it out? That's my next step as I'm in Destin, FL, (2 hours from home) with no tools.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@blackhawkpilot There is a member close to you. His name on this forum is @Slugger55 . He may be able to help. He lives in Panama City right down the road. You can try to run the engine, but it looks like you are using a nylon tow rope. The friction may melt the rope on the shaft, and could cause more damage.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski That image was taken this morning after about 4 hours of unraveling and cutting yesterday and another hour or so this morning. Like I said, most of it is removed. If I take it to the water and try to crank the engines, do you think it'll cut up the rest of it (as Chaparral advertises) and spit it out? That's my next step as I'm in Destin, FL, (2 hours from home) with no tools.
I'd run out and buy a small set of tools to keep on the boat. Make sure it includes a socket that matches the pump bolts and a good socket wrench and a box cutter. Then I'd pull that pump (5 minutes to get off, 5 back on) and hit the water!

I wouldn't want to put her on the water and HOPE it would clear....

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know if I would run it, the way it looks to me - if it does not disintegrate, as @ScarabMike points out, you could end up pushing the rope (remnants) into the sleeve/shield and create a much bigger mess.

I know..., not the greatest timing to learn how to pull the pump. But, it will likely go faster than you think and may save the rest of the day!

--

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Owner's manual says that if I reverse the engine the other direction, it may come back out. I guess I'll go over to Eglin AFB and get some tools.

Attachments

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Owner's manual says that if I reverse the engine the other direction, it may come back out. I guess I'll go over to Eglin AFB and get some tools.
Having access to one of their DIY shop bays should make this easy!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Most of Eglin will be closed today...

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The engine only spins in one direction. The bucket is where the engine redirects the water for reverse. Remember, these are direct drive engines with no transmissions.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'm in Valparaiso but heading back to Eglin. I have tools, but can't remove this white piece to pull the pump. It's plastic, maybe Teflon.

Attachments

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Attachments