• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up rope

Bob Bailey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Scarab gang - enjoyed my first 18 hours on my 195 until I sucked up a piece of ski rope yesterday. Was able to cut out most, but some still jammed in the rear end of the drive shaft cover. My dealer is 100 miles from my boat and wondering if there's an easy fix besides trailering it out for a couple weeks. Thanks much - Bob

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not part of the scarab gang but think the pumps and intakes can't be that much different than what's on a Yamaha. I would pull the intake grate and try to get the remaining rope from the bottom of the boat. If that didn't work, I'd pull the steering nozzles, impeller and shaft as well.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There are a few good videos on how to pull the impeller on Youtube. I have never attempted it before, but it really doesn't look very complicated if it comes to that.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing is for sure, without the clean-outs it's a whole new ball game. You Scarab guys should come up with some tools for handling situations like this.
I've already seen a razor knife taped to a stick for reaching in and cutting. Perhaps a very long pliers for reaching in and grabbing things - like the rope in this instance.

I have a set of these:

SXT_3706.jpg

I think if you can grab hold of it with something you could then pull the spark plugs on the engine, and just pull the rope off the opposite way it got wound up. Yamaha owners have been using this method with great success for years. By removing the plugs you ease the compression and it lets you spin the shaft backwards with less effort.

:cool:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ScarabPirateGirl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi Bob - I am new here too. Have had our 255 HO for a year and just sucked up our first rope. What was your resolution? We just pulled boat out but have not been able to get the rope out.

Arial

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I had a similar occurrence with my 195 as well. We had trouble taking the intake grate off, so we used a pair of pliers (about 12" long) to reach in and pull at the rope to fray it and pull individual pieces out. Part of it got shoved into the gap between the axle and the shaft protector, and that took some extra work to pull out, but it only took about an hour. To get at the rear axle cover you dont need to entirely disassemble the pump assembly, but it does require a bit of work.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think on yours the pump is not too bad to remove. I think much easier than the grate. Once you pull it, the whole shaft is exposed and you can remove your rope from the back

With a deep socket set and a cordless driver (or drill) the job should be a snap. My experience is from 1999 SeaDoo, so check the Youtube videos for your model year, or similar year seadoo jetski with similar motor. You can do it, do NOT drive 200 miles without giving it a very good try, that's a long way!

Yan Masse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just remove the pump.

Disconnect reverse gate and sterring rods + the 4 bolts of the pump.

Here is a video for a see-doo but you will figure it out for the boat