• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up water snake

Priceisright

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I sucked up a water snake yesterday. It chummed the water pretty good and was able to dislodge the remnants pretty well. Something seems off performance wise though. Sounds kind of like a grinding noise at low rpm. Could be unrelated to the snake I guess. Anyone else have grinding at low rpm?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, that’s a first for me hearing about sucking up a snake. You should get some points for that on the forum status in my opinion. If it were me, I would probably pull the impellers and see if anything is still lodged in there. Everytime I experience what you’re describing, this does the trick. Even if I can’t see anything. I think the splines gets out of sync somehow but others say that’s impossible. I don’t know but I think it’s worth a try. Do you know how to do that? I can upload a video.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tiny things stuck can cause a noticeable effect. I agree you should closely inspect the pump from the intake, the clean-out tube and the nozzle to see if anything is still lingering. I haven’t heard of snake ingestion either but know catfish love to hang out in the intake if you leave it in the water. Do a tap dance on the swim platform before engine start to avoid some major chum! I don’t see how the spline on the shaft could slip and if it gets “re-clocked” it affects nothing.

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm going to guess it may not have been a snake and something like a piece of rope is wrapped around the shaft.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
during red tide outbreaks we suck up all sorts of dead things.

Attachments

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I did this last year. I saw a snake in the water while cruising slowly. I circled back around to get a better look and it swam toward the boat, trying to get out of the water I guess. Next thing I know, my starboard engine bogged ever so slightly and the snake was gone.