• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

suggestions for 7 year old tubing

jeffbassguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I finally took the plunge and picked up a 2017 sx210 for lake and river. I grew up waterskiing, tubing etc but that was 30 years ago and I am completely lost on technology and whats good out there. I have scoured forums about rope lengths, tube balls, types of tubes, rope getting sucked in and its a bit overwhelming. So I figured I would ask this community what they would recommend. Im looking for a tube that is a deep well that my 7 year old can be comfortable behind that won't throw him from the tube. I don't want his first few experiences to scare him out of the water so slow and steady for a while. Thanks.

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
We have a Gladiator (I think) that has 2 seat wells that the kids sit down in and back rests. Our lake is not very busy and no one has fallen out yet. I'd recommend the tow ball, when I use the jet boat the line gets buried under the wake. We have been using the pontoon boat lately as the tow line is up and out of the water.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I personally don't like the deep well tubes like this Gladiator Sonix II,
. People that ride them say it huts their bottoms.

Even for young kids I prefer a tube like this Gladiator Big Brawler,
, soft for the bottoms plus a back to help hold the kids in. I actually have the 3 person version of this tube.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

, soft for the bottoms plus a back to help hold the kids in. I actually have the 3 person version of this tube.
I started with the exact tube u listed first and sold it for the second... the first one is good for younger kids.. it's moslre stable and they feel more secure.. They can feel then water hitting their butts.. it also doesn't swing very much due to the seats sticking down like rudders... the 2nd one u listed is much more fun.

jeffbassguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys for the responses..Gladiator Big Brawler with a tow ball it is.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are you at? maybe there's a member close by that would lend you one,

a lot depends on how eager your 7 yr old is and if they will have anyone to ride with them.

I like the disk tubes, I feel it's less violent to ride and end up in the water, it doesn't take as much speed to make them fall off and if it's a windy day the tube can catch the wind and flip it over when your throwing them outside of the wake. Isn't the point of the tube to end up in the water anyways.

The sit downs seem like a good idea but once you start bouncing around and how fast you have to go to finally get dumped in the water it always makes me squirm.

whatever you do go slow, 15-20mph
my 6yr old did a backflip out of the donut tube her first time out (one of my first times towing) and it scared her from the tube for 3 yrs.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have the Sportsstuff Big Mable for our kids (6 and 8 yo) and it's perfect for them. That size one you can get 3 kids across, 2 adults. They also have two sizes bigger too if you want something for more people, check out the Super Mable and the Great Big Mable models.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will 2nd the Big Mable. We have the 3 person tube and it is very stable unless you put a heavier person on the outside seats. Then the tube digs in on turns and can flip. But it can definately be controlled by placing the heavier weight in the middle seat. For lighter kids though it is very stable. As Scott mentions above, start out slow. I run my Niece and nephew(5 & 7) about 15-20 mph depending on the conditions.

jeffbassguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where are you at? maybe there's a member close by that would lend you one,

a lot depends on how eager your 7 yr old is and if they will have anyone to ride with them.

I like the disk tubes, I feel it's less violent to ride and end up in the water, it doesn't take as much speed to make them fall off and if it's a windy day the tube can catch the wind and flip it over when your throwing them outside of the wake. Isn't the point of the tube to end up in the water anyways.

The sit downs seem like a good idea but once you start bouncing around and how fast you have to go to finally get dumped in the water it always makes me squirm.

whatever you do go slow, 15-20mph
my 6yr old did a backflip out of the donut tube her first time out (one of my first times towing) and it scared her from the tube for 3 yrs.
Good thinking on the borrow and ya something to consider with..first few times out I'm going to go cruising and see what other people on the lake are doing and make sure he doesn't have that "no thanks I dont wanna do that" look on his face. Im in central Connecticut on a 3.5 mile lake and I can ask on my local FB pages etc for a loaner.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For beginners and young kids the sit inside are nice and secure, not great for wild tubing though. It's a good starting point before moving up to a sit on top with a back rest of some type.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also I highly recommend a bungee tube tow rope, takes the whiplash out of the equation. We have one that airhead makes and it is great.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good thinking on the borrow and ya something to consider with..first few times out I'm going to go cruising and see what other people on the lake are doing and make sure he doesn't have that "no thanks I dont wanna do that" look on his face. Im in central Connecticut on a 3.5 mile lake and I can ask on my local FB pages etc for a loaner.
It's like pulling teeth to get my girls (10 & 13) to do anything other than tube. They started at 7 & 10 and that's the thing they want to do most. Part of that is because they can do it with their friends though. But point is once they get on it you might not be able to get them off.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had the big mable since my youngest was 7. The 10 and 13 love it. Doubles as a wrestling ring, diving platform, fun island when not being towed. I've overloaded the snot out of it with 6 kids. 2 lights kids makes it harder to get them swinging. I'm in the process of stiching up the back. it split from sun damage.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 8 and 6 year old have been on this since 6 and 4. . . . . It is BIG. . . . but super stable.

I can whip them at 25 going over our own wake without issue. It has never been flipped with kids on it. I have only ever flipped it with 4 adults and I had to work hard to get it to go over.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We also have the costco tube. Very stable and the offset seat keep the kids from hitting heads.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Agreed, we have a tube similar to the Gladiator Big Brawler, this is the way to go for little kids.

jeffbassguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
just want to say thanks to all for responding..i know sometimes these forums get cluttered with people asking the same things over and over so I appreciate the replies.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We're glad to have you join us, repetitive questions are the easy ones to answer and get all the membership involved, it gives us non-mechanical people a chance to share some insight,

Be sure to check out the FAQ tab at the top of the page for lots of great tips,