• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Suggestions On Improving Low-End Throttle Response? ECU Reflash The Only Cure?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never understood why is the low-RPM throttle response so lousy in these boats?

Here is mine, not the best clip but gets the point across: Why is there so much dead range in the low end?

There is the "no wake" zone/range - up to the first "indent" - but past that is still dead zone for at least half of the usable range... Why?

Are E-Series boats with real fly-by-wire throttles better at this? Maybe someone can chime in and show the low end response of an E-Series boat?

In my boat, when the throttle levers are pushed ahead the response is initially poor (none) until the engines pick up, and then lurche forward with little finesse. This is annoying and leads to clumsy handling especially when pulling for water sports: ramping up to speed is not as easy as it should be. Once the RideSteady (or PerfectPass) take over, it is no problem in that instance (with the RideSteady - knob control is super fine). But getting there, through that first half of the range that's all play/dead, that's the issue.
(Both engines start well and idle reasonably smoothly and my throttle cables are adjusted about as good as they can be, no issues there - there is no slack in cables and I get the full range rotating the APS, up to the stop at WOT. )

I understand that cable throttles have a nonlinear progressive throttle action which opens the throttle slowly at low-end and faster at high-end, but this here is just excessive, IMO. Especially in all the newer boats with APSs (accelerator position sensor) - there is no reason for that.

Is an ECU reflash the only solution? I know it can work, from my previous experience.

--

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is strange I don't think there is that much play in my throttle response but I will check tomorrow afternoon.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s where the the buckets go from no wake height to Full open. I didn’t watch the video but it sounds like what you are describing. Going back to watch now.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s where the the buckets go from no wake height to Full open. I didn’t watch the video but it sounds like what you are describing. Going back to watch now.
Correct. But that is just a part of it. There is still a ton of slack/play/dead range past the point the buckets are up.
(I'll try to shoot some more clips to correlate the bucket and throttle lever movements - now that you made me think of it! )
I know from playing with my old 190 that a reflash "cured" most of that slack, virtually eliminating most of it, without any cable or bucket adjustments.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My educated guess is that the APS is linear and the mechanical throttles are progressive. A reflash likey changes to the ECU response to a given APS voltage.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My educated guess is that the APS is linear and the mechanical throttles are progressive. A reflash likey changes to the ECU response to a given APS voltage.
That totally makes sense...
Thank you.

I'll try to take another clip of the APSs vs throttle lever in motion (family activities permitting, LOL). But I know for a fact that my cables are well adjusted and yet - there is a marked dead range - between the second indent (with buckets fully up) and the point at which the engines start responding, and then the response is progressive but far from crisp.

--

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
17 AR240 and mine is exactly the same. I just assumed they were all this way but I noticed it right off the bat.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When my throttles are engaged into the forward detent and even the slightest nudge forward it raises the rpms instantly. No delay what so ever
Is this what you are lacking

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t have the delay either. I have the no wake detent, the travel that opens the gates fully, then a very responsive throttle from there on up.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski mine is the opposite of yours. When coming out of the TDE position to the forward position I have instant throttle and it will put you back in your seat. I noticed today when I was out, coming off WOT I would pull the throttle back a ways before rpm' s would start dropping. I can't complain though, i was getting 7560 on port and 7480 on starboard and 49mph on GPS with just myself and wife and a full tank of gas. Wind was around 10 knots.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When my throttles are engaged into the forward detent and even the slightest nudge forward it raises the rpms instantly. No delay what so ever
Is this what you are lacking
I still have some slack past the second "detent", but yes - once the throttles engage it is an instant response and a very steep curve.

EDIT: I tried taking some videos today to illustrate this, but it will take more effort - ideally a split screen showing throttle lever/tach/APS (movement) side by side.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
17 AR240 and mine is exactly the same. I just assumed they were all this way but I noticed it right off the bat.
Well, thank you - at least I'm not the only one to notice that...

It reminds me of something like an old I/O inboard where the throttles work kind of full on and full off, with little in between... Of course it is not quite that bad but I would like a bit more finesse, the low-end is way too short/too steep.

I wonder if the E-Series feature similar (short and steep) low-end throttle response? I know those E-throttles have very smooth moving levers, but that is not really the issue - it's the programming of ECU.

--

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, thank you - at least I'm not the only one to notice that...

It reminds me of something like an old I/O inboard where the throttles work kind of full on and full off, with little in between... Of course it is not quite that bad but I would like a bit more finesse, the low-end is way too short/too steep.

I wonder if the E-Series feature similar (short and steep) low-end throttle response? I know those E-throttles have very smooth moving levers, but that is not really the issue - it's the programming of ECU.

--
Not a fix but what I’ve been doing for the initial take off is: still using one hand on both levers nudge each individually for a smoother take off when I need it. You can also start forward momentum with wake mode then take over with the levers.

No doubt Yamaha could smooth that out but I think people like that instant kick you in the seat torque feel. I like it as well, just not when I have my 4yr old kids running around.

Last edited: