• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sun shade for bow area?

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey what have you guys come up with for shade over the bow or actually rear deck area also? I was looking at the Taylor Made Anchor Shade 3's, but it seems like since I already have a bimini top it would be easier to tie something onto it. My boat is a '17 212 limited S so it has a tower.

The other idea was just getting a patio umbrella and figuring out a way to mount the pole at the front or back of the boat. We do a fair amount of just floating and hanging out in the water and the sun gets pretty brutal on the front and rear of the boat where the bimini doesn't shade.

Any ideas?

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm thinking a triangle sunshade, with two points attached to the tower. Little bigger boat here... but you get the idea.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anchorshade 3 works great. I've test fit mine in both the bow and the stern. It significantly increases the shade available in those areas in the middle of the day.

I have a picture of it in this thread (there are a lot of other pics in this thread as well)

Umbrella ...Anchor Shade II by Taylor made

Here is an alternative to the AnchorShade3. I'll probably pick one of these up here soon to give it a try, and leave the AnchorShade in the Bow area. We have a 3mo old little boy so keeping the boat shaded and cool is a priority for us, and looks to continue to be that way for a few years.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/huntin-for-some-shade-and-came-up-with-this.18330/#post-314353

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome! Thanks already guys, that helps. It looks like we'll be getting the Anchor Shade unless something else looks better.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
This is what i came up with last year, cheap, effective and easy. I bought it at Sam's I think it cost around $30
What is it? Is it sold for this purpose or is it something else?

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, its a triangle sun shade. It lets some light through and its not waterproof. When i put it up it cools the whole cockpit down considerably. Here is a link to one SHADE. There are many out there. I used CLIPS like these to attach to the bimini frame.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should update my post on the AnchorShade 3. I've had it come apart twice on me now. It's turned inside out due to wind a few times as well now.

Will be formulating a plan for something more substantial this winter. Have recently found out I have access to an industrial sewing machine. Might consider making my own designed something.

Carlos M Sanchez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
worked on this project today, taking inspiration from above. 12ft triangle from Amazon and some custom bungee work. Haven't tested in the wild.
View attachment 11120620200202_111143.jpg20200202_111118.jpg20200202_111215.jpg
20200202_121738.jpg

Update March 29, 2020
Since we're stuck at home for awhile, all I can do is sit in the boat, have a beer and listen to music (and read Jet Boaters dot net)..... I did work on getting more shade.

Using two boat hooks and some bungee, rigged up a second 12Ft triangle to the transom. One boat hook worked but blocked access to swim ladder. Bungee had better leverage when I placed the poles higher, but that blocked the cup holders. Works if you don't set your beer down, just keep drinking, right!?

20200326_162642.jpg
20200326_162652.jpg20200326_162703.jpg20200326_162726.jpg

Again, haven't been able to test in the wild, but you think I would be stopped if I slowly motored around with it up? With a portside spotter.

20200326_162740.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: