• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Super-mod: Wake tower flag holder and VHF antenna holder... all in one.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll start by apologizing for the long post. Last year, I installed two Bomb Wake flag holders on my wake tower. My tower tube diameter is 1 7/8". I purchased 2" brackets and lined the bracket with bicycle tire tubing so that the tower paint does not get damaged. The flag holders worked great. I used 1/2" diameter aluminum tubing as my flag poles (from Home Depot). Running at speeds of over 50 mph eventually caused the aluminum rods to bend :D, so I'm going to replace the flag poles with stainless steel and see if it works better.
I boat on a small lake and have no use for a vhf, nor a chart plotter, but I purchased both for last year's Bimini trip. The chart plotter is removable, and currently stored away, and the vhf radio is a portable one.
@Bruce was strongly, yet politely, suggesting that I install a real vhf radio in the boat as a safety measure for this year's Bimini trip, but I just couldn't bring myself to do a permanent install for something that I'll only use once per year. Although my handheld is only 6 watts, compared to 25 (I think) watts for a real vhf radio, some of the reading that I did suggested that antenna height was just as big of a factor when it came to effective working range. So, as a compromise I decided to hook up a 4 foot Shakespeare marine antenna to my handheld. I wanted to take advantage of the height of the wake tower, and I'd say that there's a perfect spot to install an antenna mount near the navigation light on the tower, but I didn't want to do anything permanent, and I didn't like the idea of drilling holes into the wake tower for something that I'll only use once a year.
The antenna mounts that the antenna screws onto have a 1" diameter 14 TPI thread on them. My Bomb Wake flag holders have a 1" outer diameter, so I bought a tap and die set for around $90 and used the 1" 14 tpi die to add threads to the outside of the flag holder.
Here's a pic of the die and the non-threaded flag holder:
upload_2016-5-5_11-24-18.png
When cutting the threads, it's really important to make sure that the die is perfectly perpendicular to the flag holder. Cutting the threads was pretty easy because the flag holder is made with aluminum.
Here's a pic of the threaded flag holder mounted on the tower (being used as a flag holder... with the bent flag pole):
upload_2016-5-5_11-27-45.png
Here's a pic of the flag holder mounted on the tower, showing how the antenna screws onto it:
upload_2016-5-5_11-30-28.png
Here's a pic of the overall install:
upload_2016-5-5_11-32-47.png
It's all easily removable. My radio hangs from the bimini support bar using a snap d-ring. I didn't need any straps to hold the antenna cable because it's well supported in the bimini sleeve. I hooked up a headset to my radio, so I can listen and talk while seated, or standing.
upload_2016-5-5_11-38-37.png
It takes about 3 minutes to install: screw on the antenna, thread the cable, attach the cable to the radio, clip the radio onto the bimini frame. I effectively raised my antenna by about 10 feet, and I assume that it should help. At this point, all I can say is that in my driveway, the weather channel sounds the same regardless of which antenna I use. Although I don't plan on using it without the bimini installed, the radio can be mounted to the wake tower using velcro without the bimini installed. I'll have to take it for some rough water sea trials to make sure that the flag holder can support the heavier antenna. I assume that since the flag holder is strong enough to handle forces that bent the 1/2" aluminum flag poles, it should be ok with the antenna. I don't plan on flying flags from the antenna, yet.

As a side note, if you're looking to install flags on your tower, I highly recommend the Bomb Wake. They come in different sizes and are reasonably priced for the quality. I bought mine from Mike at Action Ride Co. It's best to contact him directly because I'm not sure that their website is up to date: mike@actionrideco.com

Happy boating!

Attachments

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll start by apologizing for the long post. Last year, I installed two Bomb Wake flag holders on my wake tower. My tower tube diameter is 1 7/8". I purchased 2" brackets and lined the bracket with bicycle tire tubing so that the tower paint does not get damaged. The flag holders worked great. I used 1/2" diameter aluminum tubing as my flag poles (from Home Depot). Running at speeds of over 50 mph eventually caused the aluminum rods to bend :D, so I'm going to replace the flag poles with stainless steel and see if it works better.
I boat on a small lake and have no use for a vhf, nor a chart plotter, but I purchased both for last year's Bimini trip. The chart plotter is removable, and currently stored away, and the vhf radio is a portable one.
@Bruce was strongly, yet politely, suggesting that I install a real vhf radio in the boat as a safety measure for this year's Bimini trip, but I just couldn't bring myself to do a permanent install for something that I'll only use once per year. Although my handheld is only 6 watts, compared to 25 (I think) watts for a real vhf radio, some of the reading that I did suggested that antenna height was just as big of a factor when it came to effective working range. So, as a compromise I decided to hook up a 4 foot Shakespeare marine antenna to my handheld. I wanted to take advantage of the height of the wake tower, and I'd say that there's a perfect spot to install an antenna mount near the navigation light on the tower, but I didn't want to do anything permanent, and I didn't like the idea of drilling holes into the wake tower for something that I'll only use once a year.
The antenna mounts that the antenna screws onto have a 1" diameter 14 TPI thread on them. My Bomb Wake flag holders have a 1" outer diameter, so I bought a tap and die set for around $90 and used the 1" 14 tpi die to add threads to the outside of the flag holder.
Here's a pic of the die and the non-threaded flag holder:
View attachment 36673
When cutting the threads, it's really important to make sure that the die is perfectly perpendicular to the flag holder. Cutting the threads was pretty easy because the flag holder is made with aluminum.
Here's a pic of the threaded flag holder mounted on the tower (being used as a flag holder... with the bent flag pole):
View attachment 36674
Here's a pic of the flag holder mounted on the tower, showing how the antenna screws onto it:
View attachment 36675
Here's a pic of the overall install:
View attachment 36676
It's all easily removable. My radio hangs from the bimini support bar using a snap d-ring. I didn't need any straps to hold the antenna cable because it's well supported in the bimini sleeve. I hooked up a headset to my radio, so I can listen and talk while seated, or standing.
View attachment 36677
It takes about 3 minutes to install: screw on the antenna, thread the cable, attach the cable to the radio, clip the radio onto the bimini frame. I effectively raised my antenna by about 10 feet, and I assume that it should help. At this point, all I can say is that in my driveway, the weather channel sounds the same regardless of which antenna I use. Although I don't plan on using it without the bimini installed, the radio can be mounted to the wake tower using velcro without the bimini installed. I'll have to take it for some rough water sea trials to make sure that the flag holder can support the heavier antenna. I assume that since the flag holder is strong enough to handle forces that bent the 1/2" aluminum flag poles, it should be ok with the antenna. I don't plan on flying flags from the antenna, yet.

As a side note, if you're looking to install flags on your tower, I highly recommend the Bomb Wake. They come in different sizes and are reasonably priced for the quality. I bought mine from Mike at Action Ride Co. It's best to contact him directly because I'm not sure that their website is up to date: mike@actionrideco.com

Happy boating!
Hey looks great! I know you and I spoke about doing this and it came out awesome. I purchased the same Bomb Wake flag holders as you did after we discussed this. I'm glad if works because I'm doing the same thing now that its working out for you! Has the added weight of the antenna caused the holder to slip any or is it standing strong?

Thanks
Shane

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll be water testing it tomorrow. If it slips, I'll drill and tap a small bolt to lock the rotation.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey looks great! I know you and I spoke about doing this and it came out awesome. I purchased the same Bomb Wake flag holders as you did after we discussed this. I'm glad if works because I'm doing the same thing now that its working out for you! Has the added weight of the antenna caused the holder to slip any or is it standing strong?

Thanks
Shane
Hi @shane hric , I've put about 9 hrs (1 foot chop) on the antenna with no slippage. The antenna is only 4 feet long. It's pretty light and doesn't whip, so I don't think that there is much stress on the bracket as long as I don't install flags on the antenna. The ultimate test will be the Bimini crossing; I'll have the right hex key on hand in case it comes loose.

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mr Moose what type of radio are you using?