• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

SUPER NEW VIDEO - Explaining the 2015 ARTICULATING KEEL !

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
VERY VERY well-done video about the Articulating Keel, what is does, and what former objections/annoyances it now removes.

Filmed in Georgia, on Lake Allatoona. Done by boattest.com

THEN …… Read DOWN the rest of the web page. It is VERY detailed and gives all kinds of information about new stuff that comes with the 24 foot 2015 Yamaha jet boats (and so far, only on Yamaha’s largest boats (the 24 footers).

Lots of kewl photos and detailed explanations. Actually done far better than Yamaha has done similar work !@
Makes for GOOD READING and further education.

It just keeps making the 24 foot 2015 Yamaha boats all THAT MORE APPEALING !

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?SubID=2670&ID=3238

Enjoy and Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:
So Nice....but that price makes me appreciate my paid for AR230 that much more.

Thanks for posting the link. The 2015's are VERY nice. The better handling, touch screen display, noise dampening and hinged seats are very attractive.

so when are the aftermarket/bolt-on articulating keels gonna be available?

I agree Ken, @Big Shasta , you can get low steering control with Jetboatpilot's Thrust Vectors XL's or Cobrajetsteering's Cobra Venom Ultimate steering, and can have your cake and eat it too. The new articulating keel is a very nice addition and game changer to a stock jet boat. But many Yamaha jet boat owners have for years bought aftermarket steering from either of these sources and found an immediate improvement in steering response at slow speeds for close quarters maneuvering. The one thing I can see on the 2015 24' boats is the full length keel. It turns the boat into a much more stable vessel I am sure, but that takes away some of the fun factor too. Notice in the video how when Dave lets go of the wheel in a turn, it centers and the boat drops out of the turn and goes straight. I personally don't like that. That means you have to keep positive pressure on the wheel in all turns at speed. This is something that the early versions of the Cobras caused too that I didn't care for. And Jeff answered that concern by making his steering both adjustable as well as being able to lock it down all the time for those that preferred the positive pressure turns, or to have it automatically retractable at speed for those that didn't. All that the 2015 24'er has in the way of stability control over the earlier steering added 24', 23', 21' versions is the longer and deeper keel...and rack and pinion steering. I do believe the rack and pinion may reduce the pressure on the wheel in a turn. However, the addition of either Will's or Jeff's steering will give you greater low speed response than the factory setup on the 2015's because of 3 additional rudders vs the factory single. The keel depth and length is an improvement in tracking no doubt. But you can't have it both ways. Trawlers, tugs, motorsailers, and many stability driven platforms have had a full length deeper keel that ends at the articulating rudder behind it, and that is the principle that Yamaha has followed with the 24' 2015 boats. I think it is a good move, but you don't have to buy a new boat to get that kind of handling capability, just add the aftermarket steering if you feel your ability is limited, to predict and anticipate what a naked jet boat does. Bottom line, still a great Yamaha Jetboat, regardless of whether yours is a 2000 LS or a 2015 242LS.

Back