• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surf.Mode

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone seen this product yet? Ran across this on Facebook tonight. Claims to make a better wave without hardly any ballast. He has a video of what apparently is his daughter surfing behind a WaveRunner. Look up Surf.Mode on Facebook. I would love to hear from anybody with a Yamaha Jetboat that has tried this.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Just saw this tonight too. One of the comments was... if you want to try it on a jet boat... buy one and try it. No clue who this dude is but don’t think he is from this community. Interested just as you if anyone has tried it. Doubt it.

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
He definitely is not lacking in the enthusiasm department. He's very vague on the actual product though. I cannot believe he hasn't been on this forum yet.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not interested. Tired of vague marketing speak. Show the product, show how it works, show what it costs, and offer a return policy.

Just watched 4 videos on his page, and none of them gave me any info.

No thanks. :)

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh he has a price on his website. $350+$50 shipping. Looks to me like all it is is two convergence tabs one in front of each other at the waterline. I just want to hear from one jetboat owner that has tried this.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem other delayed convergence systems have had on jetboats is they force counter steer on the surf side which renders it ineffective due to jet wash. I don't see this reacting any differently.

Kooter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Has anybody tried this yet? The new video they produced showing how it works is interesting. Lateral displacement vs delayed convergence. It actually tips the boat corner into the water, which is exactly what we need for our boats. On his website it says they are working on the jet boat market. Even though it states that lateral displacement doesn't solve the jet wash problem I believe it doesn't make it worse like the delayed convergence options do and could help us get the swim platform corner down.

Will this work on Jetboats?
Yes,
although the Flexible Slim is not designed for this application. Jet boats pose two problems generally speaking - they are lighter than v-drive or inboard boats; and more importantly dual jet boats tend to eject water into at least one of the surf waves. Lateral Displacement technology addresses the weight concern, however, the water jet to the wave is something we are currently working to solve. We are in active R&D for this market, and are always looking for test groups. Reach out to us, and tell us about your boat, and you can contribute to the solution!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You can have a GREAT " looking" wave but it may surf like crap. I can tell on my boat if something is off and I have to adjust ballast placement for the session. Their surfer on the website looks like he is 100 pounds wet. There is no replacement for displacement and pumping up the surf wave for us normal size 200 pound people to actually surf can't be covered up by smoke and mirrors.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just saw this tonight too. One of the comments was... if you want to try it on a jet boat... buy one and try it. No clue who this dude is but don’t think he is from this community. Interested just as you if anyone has tried it. Doubt it.
I agree. The guy doesn't really understand his potential market. All he would need to do is put a couple few out there into the Jet boat community for testing and review. If it worked anything like he claims it does, he could uncover high sales and most likely increase pricing. I would be in line to get one. On the other hand perhaps it doesn't.

Kooter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
So your answer is no you are not aware of anybody trying it but because they have a light surfer in the videos it can't possibly be anything other than smoke and mirrors?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So your answer is no you are not aware of anybody trying it but because they have a light surfer in the videos it can't possibly be anything other than smoke and mirrors?
If that is directed towards me.... I don't know of anyone using this system on jet boats, it is very similar to Swells system and that doesn't work on jet boats. I have tried the convergence system and in the end I always come back to the Wake Wedge and ballast combo for the best performing jet boat wake out there. Swell sells my product for this very reason.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would agree with that statement, show me the money!

I haven't watched the most recent video, the ones last year were enough for me to not bother until an unbiased reports results,

I've seen this show before, great marketing, specific camera angles, specific riders, all made to promote the product but not tested and not proven for the masses,

isn't this the same guy who wants you to buy his product and be part of the R&D group, no thanks but I fully support you buying one and being part of the test group and reporting back, that's how we all learn, maybe this is the magic bullet ??

until then, buy a wedge, booster or build your own mudflap if you want proven results,

Kooter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
If that is directed towards me.... I don't know of anyone using this system on jet boats, it is very similar to Swells system and that doesn't work on jet boats. I have tried the convergence system and in the end I always come back to the Wake Wedge and ballast combo for the best performing jet boat wake out there. Swell sells my product for this very reason.

It most definitely looks exactly like a delayed convergence system but they recently put out a video explaining why surf.mode is different with the 2 wings. According to surf.mode their system tilts the entire boat on an angle pulling one corner farther into the water using the hull to create the displacement and making a bigger wave. If this is true it may not require the oversteer that causes normal delayed convergence systems to not work on our boats. "lateral displacement" is their fancy term. Maybe you are right and it sucks but I was wondering if anybody had tried.

While your wedge and ballast is currently the gold standard for surfing our boats it is a less than ideal solution for some of us. I have surfed your exact set up and it was great. Unfortunately for me I have a family of mixed surf sides as well as friends, plus little kids and family who really need access to the ladder since we do way more than just surf. Thrust vector wakes appear to still be a bit of a mess and my boat is a 2014 so the wake booster is out (maybe not with modifications). So as a dude who just wants to surf a good wave on both sides without a ton of extra work I am hoping something is developed soon.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck...... If you have seen a duck you know it can't be a chicken regardless of the claims.

Kooter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck...... If you have seen a duck you know it can't be a chicken regardless of the claims.
I generally agree....but our boats are a perfect example.... I have friends who see the jet pumps and "if it looks like a jet boat it can't possibly be a real boat" They haven't actually been on my boat and have no idea how awesome jet boats are now compared to 15 years ago. It may look like a duck but my duck can kick your chickens ass. Normally instead of telling them that I just blow past them in the big waves and then pull up into 2' of water and laugh when they are getting out in neck deep freezing water.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It most definitely looks exactly like a delayed convergence system but they recently put out a video explaining why surf.mode is different with the 2 wings. According to surf.mode their system tilts the entire boat on an angle pulling one corner farther into the water using the hull to create the displacement and making a bigger wave. If this is true it may not require the oversteer that causes normal delayed convergence systems to not work on our boats. "lateral displacement" is their fancy term. Maybe you are right and it sucks but I was wondering if anybody had tried.

While your wedge and ballast is currently the gold standard for surfing our boats it is a less than ideal solution for some of us. I have surfed your exact set up and it was great. Unfortunately for me I have a family of mixed surf sides as well as friends, plus little kids and family who really need access to the ladder since we do way more than just surf. Thrust vector wakes appear to still be a bit of a mess and my boat is a 2014 so the wake booster is out (maybe not with modifications). So as a dude who just wants to surf a good wave on both sides without a ton of extra work I am hoping something is developed soon.
We are a little bit in the same boat on needing wave on both sides of the boat. It is what it is though. You would still need a lot of ballast surf side, and you would need to change the ballast over for different riders. Even if the product did as it claimed, just pulling the boat over will not create any additional displacement of water. It might be better than nothing coupled with a significant amount of ballast, but you haven't gained anything on convenience. Also the video of surfing is fake.

Attachments

Kooter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'm not even sure what those screen shots are but the fact that you investigated the video and know how to do that tells me you are either way smarter than me or way younger so I will just take your word for it either way!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not even sure what those screen shots are but the fact that you investigated the video and know how to do that tells me you are either way smarter than me or way younger so I will just take your word for it either way!
I'm confused. Aren't we talking about Surf.mode and the video? The video was referenced by you. Maybe a different video, but not only is ithis video smoke and mirrors, but it is downright fake. I'm 56. It's a green screen and poorly executed. Look at the pixelation around the surfer and watch the video.

Kooter said:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me, it's not the device that's the hassel is changing sides with the surf wave, it's transferring the ballast. You can pull the wedge and reinstall it as easily as attaching 2 shapers to the side of the boat and transfer them. Granted surf mode clams you can use less ballast, I guess if it interests you enough, try it and let us know how it works out.