• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surf Pointe for older boats

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I want to start by saying thank you to @Rod5 . With his instruction I adjusted my nozzles to mimic the new Yamaha feature called Surf Pointe. As he said, spinning your steering adjustment yoke 4 complete 360° revolutions so they point into each other should improve the wave with minimal performance hit. If this does not work on my 2008 212X I will report back.
20180526_145412.jpg 20180526_145424.jpg 20180526_145511.jpg 20180526_145902.jpg

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Subscribed!

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Following

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Glad to hear it sounds promising on our older boats too. Happy to share or compare results after you try it out!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, let me say I am giving this qualified approval.
It does seem to improve the wake slightly while surfing. It does reduce the amount of rooster tail while going at surf and wakeboard speeds. It appears it will reduce the spray hitting the tubers but I have yet to test that. I did not notice any significant performance changes. But this is not a free mod that is going to make dramatic improvements in your wave alone. You are still going to need a Wake Wedge.

The pictures below were taken aboard a 2008 212X with the factory port ballast tank full (approx. 400 lbs). We had 3 people aboard which I estimate to be 550 lbs. I have no fins or rudders on my boat. We were surfing in 5-7 feet of water running about 11 mph.
The first picture is without the Wake Wedge. The second picture is with the Wake Wedge.
IMG_4201.JPG
IMG_4206.JPG
The best accomplishment of today is I got my niece's boyfriend up for the first time.
IMG_4355.JPG

Surf Pointe does not give me a lot of improvement but it is free so the value equation leans toward rolling with it. I would love to hear the experience of others.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Perhaps on the older boats the steering cables have more threads so you can try more that 4 turns each side. My first day out I had 8 turns each side, but due to steering stop issues at 8 turns I settled out at 4.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, whats the verdict in general on this? 4 full 360° rotations on each yoke worth the effort to enhance the wave?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I believe it is for me. It does not cost anything and easy to return to stock.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe it is for me. It does not cost anything and easy to return to stock.
I was 100% ready to do this before launching today. . . Had the tools out and was ready to go. . . Then I looked at the available thread on the port nozzle linkage and realized before touching a thing I'd be lucky to get a single 360° turn on it before bottoming it out. . . . . Starboard could have been done sonce ot would have been let out but Port had no where to go.

And ideas?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Remove the yoke, screw on a matching die and thread another 1/4" of the rod?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remove the yoke, screw on a matching die and thread another 1/4" of the rod?
Thought about it. . . Bit even if viable without damage to the cable the excess thread would protrude into the linkages. If I decided to cut off excess may risk ability to return to stock.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After surfing, wakeboarding and thrashing kids on a tube I have decided I am leaving the Surf Point adjustment on my boat. I did not feel any significant negative performance change and I believe it helped (slightly) with surfing. So for those of you on the fence I suggest you try it.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Assuming my geometry is right (the percentage of remaining thrust per nozzle is equal to the cosine of the "toe in" angle), the Surf Pointe adjustment should have practically no effect on performance.

You would have to get to a pretty extreme angle before drastically affecting performance. At a 10 degree angle for each nozzle (isn't the actual angle much smaller?), you retain 97% of forward thrust. Even at 20 degrees for each nozzle you still retain 88% of thrust.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No one told me there was going to be math...thank you for doing it for me!