• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing behind 2015 242 LS

Pbirbeck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I apologize if this info is located elsewhere on this forum. Has anyone tried surfing behind the '15 242 LS? Is it possible without ballast bags?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Certainly wouldn't be able to go ropeless without some type of ballast and ideally you would have something to clean up the wake (like a wedge).

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think a "wakesurfing for dummies with non wakesurfing boats" thread would be a valuable addition here if some of the seasoned pros would be so inclined. Personally, I've never thought about it or looked into it, but all the posts I've seen on here are sure intriguing, and I bet I'll look into it pretty seriously one day. And, I'm sure I could google it just the same, but I'm betting I'm not the only one interested. And, I bet they could google it to, but hey, that's what we're all here for!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All you do is surf with a rope. A couple of Phat friends on the swim deck helps. Still lots of fun. Cam.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All you do is surf with a rope. A couple of Phat friends on the swim deck helps. Still lots of fun. Cam.
Amen, we started by filling all the cabinets with coolers of beer/ice, and load up some oversized friends....... wait, we do that every time. Ok, start over. Do all of the above, and get most everyone on one side if not in the back corner and get the boat up to about 10-12mph and see what sort of wave it puts out.

If it looks anything like what you have seen here, sure you can ride it. Even without a good wave, surfing is fun with the rope. There is always some push. If you don't have a board, have someone come with that owns one to try it out. It's easier to swallow the cost of boards and ballast after feeling out the family to see if it is something you will want to try.

Our local sporting goods store has good quality boards in their rental fleet for folks like you and I. Just like downhill and X-country skis in the winter, folks want to try out the latest boards in the summer. I plan on renting a couple wakeboards this summer to give that a shot. Our girls have gotten old enough now that they may want to do something other than tube and surf. Highly unlikely as they consider themselves "waketube pros" but we will see. The only reason some of them didn't like to surf was that a big fat dude like me was able to do it too. That shuts down 12-16 year olds fast on a new sport.

Good luck!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Time to go bump the wake wedge thread and ask them if they figured out how to make it easily swapped to goofy yet!

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@jcyamaharider - I'll tag you since you have quite a bit of experience and knowledge on this, but am also looking for info from anyone that has a 242/240. Along with Perfect Pass and a Wake Wedge, I am looking at adding internal ballast on my '13 242. Specifically for wake surfing, what set up would you recommend and is it possible to get a great wake and go ropeless with all internal bags - or, will I need to put some on the deck?

Thanks!

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I apologize if this info is located elsewhere on this forum. Has anyone tried surfing behind the '15 242 LS? Is it possible without ballast bags?
Yes, my son-in-law does this all the time ... Rope and a Surfboard. Last time out we sucked up an anchor, cracked the intake grate. Was a very memorable outing ...

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
llmmct, please share some more details on that event.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider - I'll tag you since you have quite a bit of experience and knowledge on this, but am also looking for info from anyone that has a 242/240. Along with Perfect Pass and a Wake Wedge, I am looking at adding internal ballast on my '13 242. Specifically for wake surfing, what set up would you recommend and is it possible to get a great wake and go ropeless with all internal bags - or, will I need to put some on the deck?

Thanks!

@rocknracing. Has a very good setup. Maybe he will chime in.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
buckbuck,

Teachable and humbling moment ... here goes. My son-in-law needs a break, so I am idling in the intracoastal waterway in Wilmington ... engine conks out ... I think remember reading something on the message board about sucking up ropes ... What did that post say ur um restart the boat and try to go in reverse // READERS DO NOT DO THIS // loud bang under the boat // limp back to the dock on one engine // which a prior forum post actually said to do // READERS DO THIS. Put boat on lift and discover some other boater must have lost his anchor ... Note to self ... some ropes have stuff like anchors attached on the other end. Turning the motor back on causes the rope and what ever it is attached to thread and draw into the intake protection grate.

The plot and newbie idiot moves continue. Friends are coming next week, purchase a replacement grate online and get the boat ready. Only one bolt comes off cleanly. Can't get the rest of the bolts off ... my guests are expecting boating. Heck I can run this boat without a grate. What are the odds of sucking a another rope right?

Any quesses out there for what happens without the bolt holding the grate on?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well if it's ok with you I think we are going to laugh alongside you with this misfortune. I have heard of some funny things getting sucked up but thoughts of that anchor coming up make it hard for me to suppress a giggle. Did you get any pictures or keep the anchor?

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Belteddeep I have 900lbs next to motor and under port side seat which is not quite enough even with the 650 in ski locker and 400 on swim platform. We usually need another 400 on top of seat. After a lot of testing last year with different setups I am having a custom bag made that will fill the entire compartment on the port side along with the batteries and it will hold around 1300lbs which will eliminate the 400 bag on seat. I still will use the one on swim platform. Wake wedge is a must!

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@rocknracing - do your batteries still fit with the 1,300lb bag? Will you have to move them up?

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Belteddeep yes I moved my batteries and built a box around them so that way the bags don't conform around them.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Also I will look for the drawing that I have for the bag. Another member had one made and I modified it to fit with my batteries. He moved his to the starboard side but I didn't want to do that as I have a bag over there for wakeboarding. As soon as I find it I will post it up for you and anybody else with a 242

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Any chance anyone has the measurement of what size bag would fit under port side rear seat, with 2 batteries under there? Also, is it possible, recommended, and/or safe to put a bag in the back of the engine compartment - port side? 3rd question - how does one secure the ballast bag to the swim deck?

Thanks!