• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing behind SX210

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can it be done efficiently? After all the reading I’ve done and hearing that some people with 190/195s are having trouble getting on plane makes me wonder if mine will do it having the smaller 1050cc engines. And also how is it trying to get up from the rear tow point with not having a tower? I hate to spend the money on ballast and the other stuff I’m going to need and then my boat not even be able to do the job.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can it be done efficiently? After all the reading I’ve done and hearing that some people with 190/195s are having trouble getting on plane makes me wonder if mine will do it having the smaller 1050cc engines. And also how is it trying to get up from the rear tow point with not having a tower? I hate to spend the money on ballast and the other stuff I’m going to need and then my boat not even be able to do the job.
I'm certain I've seen it done on here. Have you been thru this thread? There's multiple guys with 210's even 210FSH's surfing them.

Do you have access to a board? My suggestion would be to tie off to the surf side cleat and try getting up. If you can, then you're good to go. 👍

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We surfed on our ‘11 SX210. And the previous owner surfed a lot on that boat. It did have an aftermarket tower though.

I ultimately traded because I felt the MR1 engines I had were under powered for my needs.

But, just know that you need to determine whether you’re going to have several people or ballast on board. Can’t do both. Lol

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We surfed on our ‘11 SX210. And the previous owner surfed a lot on that boat. It did have an aftermarket tower though.

I ultimately traded because I felt the MR1 engines I had were under powered for my needs.

But, just know that you need to determine whether you’re going to have several people or ballast on board. Can’t do both. Lol
A tower is on my radar but other things keep taking priority. I have had 10-11 people in the boat multiple times and it doesn’t struggle too much getting on plane to go across the lake. Hopefully I should be ok. Thanks

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A tower is on my radar but other things keep taking priority. I have had 10-11 people in the boat multiple times and it doesn’t struggle too much getting on plane to go across the lake. Hopefully I should be ok. Thanks
Cool. I think you probably have different engines than what I had. I don’t recall. I had the 110hp mr1’s.

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cool. I think you probably have different engines than what I had. I don’t recall. I had the 110hp mr1’s.
Mine are 110hp also but they aren’t considered the MR-1 AFAIK.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We surfed a bit behind our 11 SX210. Well, we surfed at the end of a rope - never did quite get the combination of the wave and our skills to line up to make ropeless surfing work well. It certainly can be done and the Wake Wedge product from Gantlin would absolutely make it easier and better than it was with ours. Getting up from the lower tow point isn't ideal but can be done. If you have a relatively strong crew member, you could also just have them hold the other end of the rope to start with a higher angle. On ours, I found the most difficult thing to be maintaining a very steady speed. It's not easy to do, particularly with the throttles these boats come with. Perfectpass would be almost a necessity if you decide to surf it regularly.