• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SurfStream - DIY Edition - Prototyping in AR240

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With all the discussion of the Yamaha new Surf Point and Scarab Surf Stream etc. - I needed to try the idea of deflecting jet stream/wash with water pushed across in order to smooth the wake surface.

THE CONCEPT
Well, the concept is very attractive - it relies on a scooper/caper/deflector-like device that would be mounted on the SURF SIDE - pushing water across the swim platform - to deflect the jet wash and smooth out the wake surface.
Importantly, such a device would at the same time force a surf side turn, therefore necessitating a counter-steering effort - which would point the nozzles away from the surf side - precisely what one would intend to do to smooth out the wake surface.

At least - that's the theory.

A PROTOTYPE
I built a couple of prototypes and ended up actually testing one. That one ended up bearing uncanny resemblance to the Scarab Surf Stream system, I think, - albeit I have never seen one in person and there are no publicly available clips of one in action - that I know of.

So, here it is:
The burn marks are just from grinding the screws, this is done in marine plywood with internal reinforcements. The construction is strong enough to survive testing at speeds below 20mph (I did not want to make it too strong, as I was not certain what kind of forces I will be dealing with)
upload_2017-12-22_22-41-1.png

The overall size is a big larger than the Scarab attachment it resembles, but the angles are similar - judging from what I could find posted elsewhere:
upload_2017-12-22_22-46-0.pngupload_2017-12-22_22-46-19.png
upload_2017-12-22_22-46-52.png

THE TEST
For the purpose of my initial "proof of concept" type of testing - I used only 800lbs of ballast - one bag filled in the rear strbd compartment - surf side (goofy):
upload_2017-12-22_22-51-11.png

I could have probably filled more ballast as I was alone and 800lbs is not much for these boats, but figured I can get a general idea if the device is working, and if the concept is worth pursuing further.

I ran around at various speeds, going strait or turning in large circles of varying radius etc.
Here are a couple of short clips:
Shot at different speeds - 9, 10, and 11 mph - pretty much covering the wake surfing range we use - typically 10.5mph (depending on the load and conditions).

THE OBSERVATIONS
Well, I think the concept has potential, but would need a lot of tweaking. The way I see it - it will be difficult to design a scooper/"caper" actually capable of throwing water across the jets hard enough to deflect the jet stream and create a wake surface that's surfable.

The main issue is - this type of device would need to be complemented with the Wake Wedge, but it is not readily compatible with it.

THE VERDICT
For now - and in foreseeable future - I do not see this concept being competitive with (@jcyamaharider and @ar240owner's) Wake Wedge. Leave alone trying to dethrone the Wedge, LOL.

I'm about to throw in the towel as far as my wake surfing mods...!

:cool:

--

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey at least it's not akin to throwing your arm straight out the window palm facing wind doing 80+ MPH. <- That's about how my boat behaved with my surf gate (like the arm) :D

I'm not sure there would ever be enough water shooting over to really affect the jets completely when pushing thrust levels fully ballasted. I think best mod for twins is still with a @jcyamaharider Wake Wedge. I know how you feel with being about done exploring surf ideas on these boats. I've tried several angles and best wake I've ever made on my boat was full ballast 60/40 distribution with no wake mods. If I had a twin engine I'd get a Wake Wedge, hide as much of the ballast as I could under the seats and enjoy what it could do. My next surf mod will likely costs me $$,$$$ if you catch my drift.

Last edited:

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Curious... and I have only had my Yamaha out once since getting it this winter... what happens if you use so for motor opposite of surf side? To much strain?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Curious... and I have only had my Yamaha out once since getting it this winter... what happens if you use so for motor opposite of surf side? To much strain?
That would be for delayed convergence. Not an issue with strain, just doesn't work with yamaha hulls.

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You never know if you don't try... it's fun to see how inventive people get. It's more than I've attempted. I bought a second hand wake wedge last fall I'm exited to try out this season. I'm definitely thinking I'll be in the matter for additional ballast Bertie to long. Thanks for always sharing your findings, I enjoy watching the whole process.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I'm sitting here, scratching my head - should I had tried harder?
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2019-release-coming-soon.18482/page-26

One big difference is - the Yamaha WakeBooster is placed more recessed (forward), under the transom. My tests were also run with very limited ballast, I varied speed but that may not have been the right decision. Pushing the swim deck corner further down might have been a better idea.

It looks like the new Yamaha WakeBooster could be a winner.

I also wonder if the Yamaha WakeBooster and Gatlin Wake Wedge combo would work together, if the attachments can be figured out (or married).

I'll certainly be checking out their transom/swim platform attachments - their product looks SOLID, I like it!

It could be great news for Yamaha wake surfers, rejoice!

--

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qt3KGPpEN50

The system seems intriguing. Dude in the demo video isn't trying nearly as hard as all the pro riders they had demonstrating Surf Pointe with their constant pumping. It certainly looks decent and like it could compete with the Scarab wake. I do wonder how it would handle additional ballast, if things would start to get messy or still be capable of creating an even bigger wave while maintaining shape?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just look at that push and curl with NO extra drag on the boat....... if it ain't broke...........

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just make sure those tie downs are not coming loose or better yet reinforced like @Bill D's boat. The Scarab brackets and receiver/mount doesn't look up to the task with the force of the water. Looks awfully small and would want it more robust. This one was ripped out!

I really hate the branding WakeBooster lol.

IMG_9949.JPG IMG_9950.JPG IMG_9951.JPG IMG_9952.JPG

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just make sure those tie downs are not coming loose or better yet reinforced like @Bill D's boat. The Scarab brackets and receiver/mount doesn't look up to the task with the force of the water. Looks awfully small and would want it more robust. This one was ripped out!

I really hate the branding WakeBooster lol.

View attachment 81497 View attachment 81498 View attachment 81499 View attachment 81500
Unfortunately, nuts and bolts falling off a Scarab boat is not exactly... shocking.
There have been several with loose cleat bolts etc.
The Yamaha attachment may be a better design anyway.
I guess time will tell. We are very happy with the Gatlin Wedge.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder the cost of the deflector? I'm just can't call it WakeBoosterRooster lol. WakeGutter, WakeDiverter, WakeSomething, WakeBlade, WakeIceCreamScoop.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FB_IMG_1534338628052.jpg FB_IMG_1534338643120.jpg
FB_IMG_1534338741000.jpg
FB_IMG_1534338941789.jpg

Here's a few pics I was able to find thru Facebook. Supposedly it will fit 21 & 24 ft models back to 2014.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Chuds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does anyone know if this will work on old boats, 17's and 18's more specifically but I am sure others will want to know if it will work on older than that.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know if this will work on old boats, 17's and 18's more specifically but I am sure others will want to know if it will work on older than that.
Comments on Facebook claim it works on the 21ft and 24ft back to 2014 models. Basically models with the articulating keel.

The package is supposedly $990 and includes the wakebooster, board, and rope.

Chuds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@J-RAD Awesome that would be great if that was the case especially if you could buy just the booster and forget the board and rope!

All Seas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
[QUOTE="J-RAD, post: 330829, member: 7426"

Here's a few pics I was able to find thru Facebook. Supposedly it will fit 21 & 24 ft models back to 2014.[/QUOTE]

Facebook link?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a video from Facebook of just the wake on a 242X with Wakebooster
(For some reason all I get is audio when embedding a Facebook video...? Here's a link to my post of it on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/groups/288507487969649?view=permalink&id=1093859880767735 )

[QUOTE="J-RAD, post: 330829, member: 7426"

Here's a few pics I was able to find thru Facebook. Supposedly it will fit 21 & 24 ft models back to 2014.
Facebook link?[/QUOTE]
Here's the post with pics https://www.facebook.com/groups/jetboaters/permalink/1092524924234564/

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a video from Facebook of just the wake on a 242X with Wakebooster
(For some reason all I get is audio when embedding a Facebook video...? Here's a link to my post of it on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/groups/288507487969649?view=permalink&id=1093859880767735 )

Facebook link?
Here's the post with pics https://www.facebook.com/groups/jetboaters/permalink/1092524924234564/[/QUOTE]
Looks like they are going in a large circle, still pretty impressive for NO BALLAST situation. But not great wake compared to what we get - with ballast and wedge.

--