• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SVHO Intercooler swap problem

Hammer248

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I swapped the intercoolers and fired up the motor and not getting water out of either pissers. Any ideas of what the problem could possibly be.

Thanks

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Was this just on the hose or in the water?

Hammer248

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
on the hose

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It might just be that there is not enough flow for there to be extra to piss out. I assume you checked to make sure the hoses where the connections were made are not leaking all over the place? It usually takes mine about a good minute before the water starts coming out of the pissers and it's weak flow.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If your house doesn't have high enough pressure you won't get a lot of water coming out. Mine used to trickle out until I realized my house water pressure regulator was set too low. The fact you said no water is coming from BOTH pissers (engine and intercooler) leads me to believe your water pressure is low at the house.

Did you use the house to flush on the old intercooler and if so did it have water coming from the pisser? It usually takes about 45 seconds or so before I start seeing water come out. If you've never flushed before make sure you don't have a kink in the red line coming from the flush port connector. The way they route the line at the factory sometimes is real tight like mine and the hose bends 90 degrees right at the flush connector. Stick your head up in the starboard storage compartment to inspect the hose for a kink but it's more likely you just have too low of water pressure.

You could always take it to the launch ramp and fire it up on the trailer in the water to ensure you have plenty of water and flow.

Last edited:

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Agree test it out. Mine doesn't work with the hose on the trailer. It's just water flow it's nothing fancy.

Hammer248

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback. I checked the hoses and everything appears to be installled correctly. I do have great water pressure from the house water hose. Still nothing from either pisser. This is supposedly a new take off svho intercooler. I never had an issue with the sho intercooler.

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback. I checked the hoses and everything appears to be installled correctly. I do have great water pressure from the house water hose. Still nothing from either pisser. This is supposedly a new take off svho intercooler. I never had an issue with the sho intercooler.
Did you water test it?

Could remove it and run water through it.

Hammer248

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I did not water test it. I'm going to run water through it to see it it's flowing free then water test it.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A water pressure gauge is a few bucks at Lowes. You just hook it to your water spigot. FWIW I found I had to my water pressure regulator to read 70 PSI. At 60 PSI only the engine pisser (closest to stern) would barely trickle water out.

70 PSI flows this much on my boats pissers with SVHO intercooler...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/jetboaters/permalink/791621834324876/

Last edited:

Hammer248

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I put the boat on the water last weekend and the intercooler worked great. I'm running a Y into one pisser. Has anyone done this and then added the additional pisser noticed any difference in performance/RPMs?

JacksonvilleAR192

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So what was the fix? I have the exact same problem. Swapped out my Intercooler today (SVHO) and I now have Nothing out of either pisser and I have plenty of water pressure. I did add an additional dedicated line for the new SVHO inter cooler. I was going to try a Y connection but it really shouldn’t matter. I should have something coming out of the pisssers. Appreciate any help!

Seibert74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My house water pressure is 72 PSI and water flows fine from both of the pisser outlets from the SVHO intercooler. I have the factory water supply line going to the intercooler and 2 dedicated lines leaving the intercooler. I added a 2nd pisser for the extra outlet. I previously tested my performance of both intercooler discharge lines going to a Y connector before I added the 2nd pisser. If the water temp was above 82 degrees and I was running the boat hard (above 6500 RPM), heat soak would reappear after about an hour of continuous running. After adding the 2nd pisser, I could not get heat soak to return at all. Moral of the story, if you run in warm(er) water and do a lot of watersports, by all means, run the 2nd dedicated line from the intercooler to a 2nd pisser.
Because I have not seen the heat soak return in any form once I added the 2nd pisser, I decided to not run a dedicated water supply line to the intercooler but YMMV. For an apples to apples comparison, I run with 4 of us in the boat (my wife, myself, and 2 middle school kids), full fuel of 30 gallons, and a 25 quart cooler stored in the port side helm locker. Also of note, I am 6'5" and 280 pounds so my weight is probably more than most. With that said, I can run WOT all day at 7200-7600 RPM and 42-45 MPH on the speedo with no heat soak.

JacksonvilleAR192

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My house water pressure is 72 PSI and water flows fine from both of the pisser outlets from the SVHO intercooler. I have the factory water supply line going to the intercooler and 2 dedicated lines leaving the intercooler. I added a 2nd pisser for the extra outlet. I previously tested my performance of both intercooler discharge lines going to a Y connector before I added the 2nd pisser. If the water temp was above 82 degrees and I was running the boat hard (above 6500 RPM), heat soak would reappear after about an hour of continuous running. After adding the 2nd pisser, I could not get heat soak to return at all. Moral of the story, if you run in warm(er) water and do a lot of watersports, by all means, run the 2nd dedicated line from the intercooler to a 2nd pisser.
Because I have not seen the heat soak return in any form once I added the 2nd pisser, I decided to not run a dedicated water supply line to the intercooler but YMMV. For an apples to apples comparison, I run with 4 of us in the boat (my wife, myself, and 2 middle school kids), full fuel of 30 gallons, and a 25 quart cooler stored in the port side helm locker. Also of note, I am 6'5" and 280 pounds so my weight is probably more than most. With that said, I can run WOT all day at 7200-7600 RPM and 42-45 MPH on the speedo with no heat soak.
The problem I have is I don’t have any water flow....not even a trickle coming out of the pissers. Figured I had a clogged line but I don’t see one. There is however water coming out of the rear of the boat. Any thoughts on a possible cause?

Seibert74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The problem I have is I don’t have any water flow....not even a trickle coming out of the pissers. Figured I had a clogged line but I don’t see one. There is however water coming out of the rear of the boat. Any thoughts on a possible cause?
Barring any kinked lines, obstructions in the intercooler itself, I don't see any other causes. I would haul the boat to the lake and check the pissers once you start the engine. If there is no water flow once you start up the engine then you are probably clogged somewhere. If you have flow at the pissers while in the lake then it just means you have low water pressure from the hose at your house.
If your pissers are still dry at the lake while the engine is running, I would check the strainer located on the port side of the jet pump to see if something is blocking flow. Next downstream fitting would be the wye that splits the flow to your engine and intercooler - check those if the strainer is free from debris. After that, do a water test on the intercooler itself. If that is clear, check both discharge hoses from the intercooler all the way to the pissers.

Seibert74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Of the three pissers you have, is water coming out of the pisser closest to the stern?
You are feeding water to the intercooler with a 5/8" diameter hose and discharging through (2) 5/8" diameter hoses. This, in theory, would reduce your discharge pressure by almost half. At idle, the flow will drop significantly with the additional pisser versus the single pisser from the SHO intercooler discharge. When I added my 2nd intercooler discharge line, the flow and pressure of the water coming out of both pissers dropped considerably while connected to my house hose in the driveway. When I lake tested everything, water flow from the pissers at engine idle increased a little versus being hooked up to a hose, but once I advanced the throttle, the flow and pressure of water from both intercooler discharge pissers increased back to normal. I hope this makes sense!

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So what was the fix? I have the exact same problem. Swapped out my Intercooler today (SVHO) and I now have Nothing out of either pisser and I have plenty of water pressure. I did add an additional dedicated line for the new SVHO inter cooler. I was going to try a Y connection but it really shouldn’t matter. I should have something coming out of the pisssers. Appreciate any help!
If you did a dedicated line off the jet pump strainer cover directly to the SVHO intercooler, you will NOT get any flow from the factory flushing line as you have removed it entirely from the original cooling system. The dedicated line requires pressure created by the impeller to flow water. The factory flush kit is connected directly to the 4-way T upstream of the jet pump strainer. Since the flushing kit is typically used on the trailer, the turning impeller can't force any water through the strainer. That means no flow to the intercooler. This no big deal, intercooling is not required by the engine for flushing. To flush the intercooler, you can install a flushing adapter T with in-line isolation valves in the intercooler inlet line to flush it directly, or simply backflush by feeding water through the pisser.

If you are going to Y or T the two outlets of the SVHO intercooler together, I recommend using a Y/T unit that is 3/4" diameter on the single and 1/2" on the twins. The reason for this is that 3/4" has more than twice the cross-section and will not restrict flow. Its not very practical to run two outlets of the same size to a T that is also the same size - you end up with excessive back pressure, reducing overall flow through the intercooler. From the 3/4" end of the Y/T, run a 3/4" line to the Thru-Hull. You can do one of two things at this point:

1. Over bore the original intercooler pisser to 3/4" and use a 3/4" thru-hull overboard fitting. Aside from a small amount of sealant, nothing else is required. A plastic 3/4" thru-hull can be as little as $6, a fancy metal unit will run a bit more.
2. Temporarily only until you can do method #1, swap the hoses from your bilge discharge (you can squeeze the 1/2" intercooler hose on with little trouble) and the original intercooler hose. The bilge is originally 3/4" all the way to the thru-hull, I don't recommend this for anything except testing due to obvious safety concerns.

If you have nothing coming out of the engine pisser, I would carefully inspect the lines that you modified, especially to make sure that the original intercooler line from the factory 4-way T is properly blocked off and that all other lines are properly connected still. If the original intercooler line isn't properly blocked off, you may be dumping some/all your flushing water straight to your bilge. It might be something, it might be nothing. If you don't have a temperature alarm pop up you might be ok.

Like others, I have very little water coming out of my engine pisser, and the flushing system is very sensitive to supply pressure. The engine pisser, as far as I can tell, is actually the oil cooler water discharge, but the engine block cooling water goes either through the oil cooler heat exchanger, or bypasses it before it enters the engine block.

I hope you get it figured out and let us know what find. If you need anything else, let us know.

JacksonvilleAR192

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I found part of the problem ... Kinked water line..... With that being said i am now only getting flow out of 1 pisser. The new one 1/2 heater hose doesn’t seem to allow water to flow through it unless it is at a downward angle.... should I use a 5/8 inch hose instead?

Attachments

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like a smoking gun to me. Nice find!:thumbsup: