• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Swim Across America, 2021 Rhode Island Open Water

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kate is joining the Swim Across America event, 2021 Rhode Island Open Water, to raise money and awareness of cancer.
Open ocean swim, held in Narragansett, RI.

She will swim as a part of her Providence College Swim Team which is reuniting for the event this year.

1629946556768.jpeg
1629946567334.jpeg

She has been training hard for the past few months...
1629946451641.png

Mostly nights, she pretty much had to be using our pool w/stationary swim trainers/tethers...

1629946632731.png

Stationary swimming - It is so much harder than it looks!
1629946686853.png

1629946897008.png

1629946929236.png

I think she's ready!
1629946976818.png

--

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kate is joining the Swim Across America event, 2021 Rhode Island Open Water, to raise money and awareness of cancer.
Open ocean swim, held in Narragansett, RI.

She will swim as a part of her Providence College Swim Team which is reuniting for the event this year.

View attachment 161705
View attachment 161706

She has been training hard for the past few months...
View attachment 161704

Mostly nights, she pretty much had to be using our pool w/stationary swim trainers/tethers...

View attachment 161707

Stationary swimming - It is so much harder than it looks!
View attachment 161708

View attachment 161709

View attachment 161710

I think she's ready!
View attachment 161711

--
That is awesome! Being a cancer survivor myself this is near and dear to me. Great job!!!!!
Narragansett is my old stomping grounds, i was a lifeguard there many summers for the state.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is awesome! Being a cancer survivor myself this is near and dear to me. Great job!!!!!
Narragansett is my old stomping grounds, i was a lifeguard there many summers for the state.
Thank you Sir!
The event is held at the Roger Wheeler State Beach in Narragansett!

And I will get to visit Providence College afterwards.

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you Sir!
The event is held at the Roger Wheeler State Beach in Narragansett!

And I will get to visit Providence College afterwards.

--
PC is a beautiful campus. Wheeler is a nice beach. It has a long brakewater that protects it from crazy waves. My family's old summer beach house was only a couple of miles away at Scarborough state beach

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last few trainings in the pool, and it will be off to the races - in the open ocean - this weekend.
1631065066755.png

"Covid swimming" in it's finest: on a tether!
today our daughters were joining their mother in the pool to keep her company.
1631065140153.jpeg

1631065232671.jpeg

Final fitting of the swim-skin went well, she should be ready.
1631065322568.jpeg

Her re-united Providence College swim team raised some 50 grand so far, they are on a roll.

--

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PC = old stomping ground...born and raised there as was my wife.

Good luck!!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
PC = old stomping ground...born and raised there as was my wife.

Good luck!!!
I can not wait to go, never been and we will be given a special tour of the campus.
Kate's former swim coach, John O'Neill, is still there! and we are going to a bbq at his house after the race which should be super nice!

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats to Kate for the hard work. I'm sure she'll do great. $50k is nothing to sneeze at for fundraising either! Well done.

Have a link to where I can pitch in a few bucks to help the cause?

Also......tethered swimming looks wildly unsafe and sketchy. Clearly it works, but WOW, I've never seen such a thing. I googled.....apparently it's a thing. I can't imagine trying to swim like that.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats to Kate for the hard work. I'm sure she'll do great. $50k is nothing to sneeze at for fundraising either! Well done.

Have a link to where I can pitch in a few bucks to help the cause?

Also......tethered swimming looks wildly unsafe and sketchy. Clearly it works, but WOW, I've never seen such a thing. I googled.....apparently it's a thing. I can't imagine trying to swim like that.
The link is in the top post. Give her a $1, lol.

That stationary swimming is not as much unsafe as just very hard and tiring, quickly, as you are not gliding over the surface so your arms paddle twice as hard, if not more.

Truth is, this was the only option this whole summer and it turned out okay, I think. Kate has been a stronger swim than i, too. I tried it, but I've been doing something as I'm getting back into boxing which is even harder to train at my age, lol... lol, so I'm just too effing exhausted to swim on a tether when I come home, I just soak in the hot tub, and watch them swim, lol.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good luck to Kate and her swim team. Enjoy the festivities. I attended college a few miles South of PC, down in Bristol, RI. Roger Williams College, now University. Colt State Park and Newport were visited frequently.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I proposed (to my wife) in Newport on Goat Island 32 years ago. Great spot for sure!!! Haven't been there in 29 years. Hope it's still there! :)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is awesome, and your house is beautiful.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The link is in the top post. Give her a $1, lol.

That stationary swimming is not as much unsafe as just very hard and tiring, quickly, as you are not gliding over the surface so your arms paddle twice as hard, if not more.

Truth is, this was the only option this whole summer and it turned out okay, I think. Kate has been a stronger swim than i, too. I tried it, but I've been doing something as I'm getting back into boxing which is even harder to train at my age, lol... lol, so I'm just too effing exhausted to swim on a tether when I come home, I just soak in the hot tub, and watch them swim, lol.

--
I donated as well, thank her for stepping up.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not much but I threw $20 in the pot. Tell her good luck in the event!
WOW.

Sincere thank you to everyone who donated.

Kate was pretty floored last night - as your donations started pouring in, she ran out of bad to ask me what happened, lol. I believe the money goes primarily to finding new cancer therapies, and it is actually amazing what has been done in this field lately - there were more than ten new drugs and biomarkers developed just last year that achieved FDA or NCCN endorsement!

The progress is slow, and the pandemic does not help, but little by little the goal is to turn more cancer types into chronic conditions, as opposed to quick killers. With the recent advent of immunotherapies, a complete eradication of cancer cells looks less and less like a pipe dream, too.

Thank you all. The symbolic value of those fundraisers is also huge, as it builds awareness and removes the stigma.

--

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s great she is doing that. Those are some serious funds they’re raising.

The tethered swimming is genius. My wife swims dozens of laps in our much smaller pool and I had no idea such a thing existed.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The tethered swimming is genius. My wife swims dozens of laps in our much smaller pool and I had no idea such a thing existed.
It truly is very hard workout!

We tried several of those stationary swimming trainers, the winner was this one:
Albeit only the main harness and belt are used, out of the whole kit.

Several of the el cheapo ones were too short, or just seemed unsafe, those long bungies coming loose can kill, lol.

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski i am glad you posted updates on this, that way others can see and possibly donate. I was surprised there wasn't as much traction at first.
This is a great cause. I sent in a donation the first day you posted about this. Hope it raises a lot of donations.

I have participating in long-term follow up study for Cancer research. As well as dna testing for them. I get lots of literature on research advances and such. So much advances but a long way to go

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
She made it!
1631377248936.jpeg
I’m so proud
1631377297237.jpeg

What an incredible event, and such memorable date.
1631377194817.jpeg