• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Swim Deck Radio issues

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
20161210_135607.jpg 20161210_135615.jpg 20161210_135607.jpg 20161210_135615.jpg 20161210_135621.jpg My rear radio cotrol started sticking a few months ago on my 2016 SX240. I live and boat in Fl so i am in salt water every weekend. I always wash and flush my boat with salt Eliminator. I pulled off the knob on the rear radio amd well just look at the pic. there is a steel shaft and nothing to cover it under the knob. A good friend of my Rob did a video on youtube (
) about this issue. Just checking to see if anyone else had this problem.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That sucks. I think that is a jog wheel so it is possible that there is still a waterproof barrier to the other internals. Only way to try preventing the corrosion would be to pack grease under the knob on a regualr basis and keep that rubber cover on whenever moving. If that is what happens after a season of salt water useage should be something others see after a few years of fresh water too.

Polk claims an IPX6 rating on that control panel along with salt and humidity protection. So it should be able to with stand high pressure water jets. They also list some specific other standards as well.
http://www.polkmarine.com/polk-ultramarine-wb-usb-siriusxm-ready-ipod-iphone-ready-bluetooth-with-app-control.html

Thanks for the heads up. This is something everyone should check and report back on. The reason is that if water were able to find its way to the internals from the knob it could cause Connext error messages, head unit issues, or similar with the JDAB networking either sending bad signals or no signal. Looks like a real PITA to remove the unit as well.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Drift Away, one more place to pack some T-9 into I would never think of. :winkingthumbsup"

--

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That sucks. I think that is a jog wheel so it is possible that there is still a waterproof barrier to the other internals. Only way to try amd prevent the corrosion would be to pack grease under the knob on a regualr basis and keep that rubber cover on whenever moving. If that is what happens after a season of salt water useage should be something others see after a few years of fresh water too.

Polk claims an IPX6 rating on that control panel along with salt and humidity protection. So it should be able to with stand high pressure water jets. They also list some specific other standards as well.
http://www.polkmarine.com/polk-ultramarine-wb-usb-siriusxm-ready-ipod-iphone-ready-bluetooth-with-app-control.html

Thanks for the heads up. This is something everyone should check and report back on. The reason is that if water were able to find its way to the internals from the knob it could cause Connext error messages, head unit issues, or similar with the JDAB networking either sending bad signals or no signal. Looks like a real PITA to remove the unit as well.
If yamaha would just move it.up tothe next level of the swim deck it will work a whole lot better but I don't know how it work on some of the E-Series boats

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow I'm seeing the value in remotes with sealed faces/soft buttons now. Does it have a limited lifetime warranty of some type that will allow you to exchange it whenever/if ever it causes you issues?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Only one year warranty from Jensen who is the parent company behind Polk. That said with all of the ratings they are claiming a group of people could try and force a recall or compensation if wide spread failure of the same thing.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have read about the problem with the remote. I am not in salt water, and only have had the boat 1 season, but. ...I never travel with the cover off . I do take it off when floating. I also pull the knob off and spray silicon into that area when I put the boat up after each weekend. So far, so good. ..time will tell!

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow I'm seeing the value in remotes with sealed faces/soft buttons now. Does it have a limited lifetime warranty of some type that will allow you to exchange it whenever/if ever it causes you issues?
I talked to my guys at Cycle Springs here in Clearwater FL they said yamaha has a one year wrranty on them. I am thinking about having them replace then pull it out and replace it with this one from JL Audio. You lose the screen but might last longer. Or maybe even this one. Screenshot_20161211-094319.png
Screenshot_20161211-094319.png
Screenshot_20161211-094019.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you keep the rubber cover on it?

@Drift Away I think Yamaha put it on the lower swim deck so that if you are in the water you can still reach the controls without having to get up on the boat.
That cover does not stay on, at least in mine.

--

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I talked to my guys at Cycle Springs here in Clearwater FL they said yamaha has a one year wrranty on them. I am thinking about having them replace then pull it out and replace it with this one from JL Audio. You lose the screen but might last longer. Or maybe even this one. View attachment 49156

View attachment 49156
View attachment 49155
Are you planning on replacing the head unit at the same time? Pretty sure you'll have to stick with Polk unless you change out the HU.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stays on fine with mine.
Good to know, I will be taking it up with the dealer than.
It's just the rubber cover that seems oversized, slightly, and just falls off. It stays in the glove compartment now, LOL.

--

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Drift Away do you use the cover? I'm curious to know because if you do...then it doesn't help! Mine fits really snugly, but I'll bet it will get drier and stiffer as it ages....then protect less well or just fall off never to be seen again!

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone have any update on this. I pulled my knob off and have rust on the spring but everywhere else looks good.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone have any update on this. I pulled my knob off and have rust on the spring but everywhere else looks good.
I took mine back to the dealer and they replaced the rear radio. When i got it back i pulled the knob off and put a squirt of spray chain lube. It came with another rubber cover. Since i had the one that came with the boat i started leavig it on while i running it. So far so good it has not came off yet

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_2125.JPG
Here is what mine looks like. The spring or retainer ring or whatever it is looks like the starting point. Think they would have used stainless. Oh yea that would cost something.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 54528
Here is what mine looks like. The spring or retainer ring or whatever it is looks like the starting point. Think they would have used stainless. Oh yea that would cost something.
Yup thats how mine started. It fell off of in eventually and I ended up going to Lowe's and getting a dimmer switch knob that kind of fit

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 54528
Well Polk lists some marine certifications for the headunit and remote. Goes to show how much you can trust some of those. Going to take mine off tomorrow to see what it looks like. Getting that part in stainless is probably only pennies more for Polk. Now if only JL Audio made marine head units.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Polk certainly has an issue here. The retention spring is most certainly a big culprit but I think stoff is getting behind the works. Photos of mine from yesterday before I cleaned it up. This is not just rust but more like what battery acid leaves behind when it eats metal. Turning the knob is not smooth anymore even after cleaning it up. I do keep the cover on and only ever took it off a handful of times while floating in fresh water. I will be getting a hold of Polk.

I recommend that everyone take off the knob and put a dab of grease in there if everything looks good.

IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG