• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Switching cockpit from SeaDeck back to Carpet.

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
...not as easy as I thought it was going to be...

photo.JPG

:confused: :mad::bawling: :vomit: :dead: :banghead:

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
ugh

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy crap that would be a long, tough project!!! Why did you change your mind on the sea deck?

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wasn't holding up well at all in the cockpit.

In particular, the bow piece kept curling up like it was shrinking. I called Sea Deck, and they said that the shape of the bow was creating a magnifying glass effect heating up the area and causing it to shrink.

They sent me a new piece, and even though I left my bow cushion in almost all summer, it still curled up.

Other area of the cockpit showed signs of wearing out. Where there was once texture, it had rubbed itself smooth in high traffic areas.

Honestly, I don't remember what I disliked about the carpet. But the Sea Deck was turning out to be a pain in the ass. And it looks like it's giving me one last middle finger as I try and remove it!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh that's fugly! What have you tried? 3M Adhesive remover? Acetone? Lift-off/Goof-off?

You just helped me make up mind once and for all. I was trying to sell my wife on installing it in the cockpit, she prefers carpet. Now I will stop trying to sell her on it and stick with the carpet and keep my mouth shut! :winkingthumbsup"

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have reaped the rewards of the seadeck craze! I love the berber carpet. I have no idea why anyone would sell this. So as many go to seadeck or whatever and post their new or like new berber for sell, I snatch it up. I have 3 sets now! I figure I'm good until I get tired of this boat and sell it....

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've tried about everything. Xtreme Goof Off, Acetone, and some other various thing I had lying around.

I found a tip on some other forum that recommend Brake Cleaner.

That has turned out to be the best thing by far.

Spray on the brake cleaner, and hit it hard with a wire tipped brush.
The adhesive turns into a gooey, sticky, snot that will start to ball up. Doesn't really come off...
Once that gets a little loose, I'll hit it with a more traditional scrub brush while running water over it.

That gets the most of it. I'm doing a full pass with that method, and then I'll go back and spot clean the rest of it.

I have a feeling that I'll get it about 90% clean, and then just let the carpet cover it up. Then just as I clean the boat weekly scrub a little more every time until it wears away...

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For reference, this is what I was talking about...

JIM_1585.jpg JIM_1580.jpg

And here is what SeaDek told me...

4-28-2014 9-49-28 AM.jpg

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well Jim, I hope it all comes off eventually. I'll have to go through the same thing shortly as I'll be removing my 11 year-old Hydro-Turf mats that are at the end of their life. I'm really looking forward to that as you might expect.

I plan on trying the 3M Adhesive remover 6040 if I can get my hands on more of it here in California, otherwise I'll try 38080. Then I'll hit it with 3M Marine Fiberglass Cleaner & Restorer 09009 and the wheel. Let me know if you see any softening or other effects after using brake cleaner on your gel coat.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
What about hitting it with a pressure washer??

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Detonate Carb cleaner worked the best for me when I had to fix a section of keel guard. All of the others I tried as well then I switched to carb cleaner, turned the job into a breeze. I think brake cleaner is about the same thing.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The acetone will work but you need lots of it.....like dripping rag full and keep working small areas until the adhesive gets gummy. When its gummy it will pull up onto the rag -- be sure to change rags often or you will just keep pushing it around!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yesterday I/we took 2 stickers off the back of the boat. I thought that was a huge pain in the ass. This looks like a long, tough, tedious job.

I agree with Glassman, I will stick with the carpet!

Good luck and be sure to wear some kind of respirator or only work in open areas if you are using anything heavy duty.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Detonate That is the only issue you have had with the Sea deck? I am assuming you have it on your swim deck..any issues? How long have you had it in place?

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Detonate That is the only issue you have had with the Sea deck? I am assuming you have it on your swim deck..any issues? How long have you had it in place?
No issues with it curling up like that on the swim deck.

I like it better than Hydro-Turf, but it's still pretty delicate... Also seems to hold dirt more for some reason. I have to really get after it with the pressure washer to get it clean.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll be installing snow camo seadeck throughout my boat this spring. I went with snow camo for three reasons. 1) I used a key to due some extensive scratching on all my samples and it showed the least wear. 2) the Grey matches my interior 3) it shouldn't get super hot during my outings, but that remains to be seen.
Hopefully the install goes smoothly and I don't end up with any peeling as seen in your photo.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I'm lucky and can removed most hydroturf including the adhesive if I heat it up with a heat gun or hair dry first. If that doesn't work and the turf is on a smooth surface I sometimes use a razor blade to get the remaining adhesive. Of course this doesn't work on non-skid surfaces so in those cases I use goo gone and lots of paper towels

Good job Detonate, I know conceptualizing the task is easy but actually doing it can be a completely different story, 9 out of 10 times that I have to do it, it's in the sun and on my knees for hours. I've yet to get a call from my crew or family asking if I need any help.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
be careful with that screwdriver in your helm seat

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about hitting it with a pressure washer??
Listen, first rule of boating maintenance at home.

Don't make the job any easier than it has to be!

If you get done too quick there is always someone with a list of chores lurking in the shadows.

In the hands of a professional, a 30 minute job can turn into a catastrophe' that will, unfortunately, prevent you from attending the baby shower for so and so one Saturday afternoon. (Or some similarly disdainful event that you would prefer not attend)

But, truth be told, it's an excellent suggestion and part of my plan. When I last pressure washed the mats to get them clean I saw that I had a flappy corner and it wouldn't take too much to blow the whole mat off the boat. So that's how I plan to start the party.

I'm certain that there will be adhesive residue though and that's where the real fun comes in.:cool: