• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 190 clicks but won't turn over

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2015 SX 190 makes a single click sound but won't crank. Ran fine a month ago. Put in a new battery. I am considering replacing the starter but it seems to be hidden under the exhaust (on the right side in this picture looking back or port side). Anyone have any idea if it is the starter? If I have to replace it I am certain that I would need to remove the exhaust manifold first. When I try to start, besides the single click sound the engine does jerk a fraction. I made a video recording of what
happens, but I guess I can't post a video.
IMG_CC688A65B2D4-1.jpeg

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Replacing the battery and starter not turning over is too much of a coincidence to me...before you "start" the troubleshooting journey with the starter..double check your battery and ground connections, including the battery switch, if you have one. Make sure they are all tight and making good contact. Make sure your getting enough voltage to the starter. Also, if you have the capapbility test the battery or put a charger/meter on it and see if it takes a charge..

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about the the clean out ports lid and the switch there? Everything snug and in order?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

DrPhil

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I agree with the above. I'd put a voltmeter on the battery, and record the voltage. Then try to start the engine, and see how much of a voltage drop occurs and how it recovers. Should be solidly at 12.5-12.6 volts to start with, maybe drop into the 11's when you hit the starter, and then quickly recover to 12.3-12.6 volts. It's possible that the charging circuitry is not working properly causing exxcessive battery drain, or you could have a bad battery.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice I am getting. Lots of things to try. The old battery I used to have would need charging if I didn't use the boat for a month, but then that day would always start fine on the water so I don't suspect the generator. But after five years this time when the boat wouldn't start even after charging the battery for a few hours it was time to replace the battery with a new one. But still just one click even after charging the new battery for hours and also trying to jump start with my car and jumper batteries. I will check the connections next. I do notice that when I turn the key on, even though the bilg pump and blower work, the gages do not turn on.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Check if your battery drawing current even if its in OFF position. It happened to me once not on a jetboat, battery keeps getting drained and replaced with new one and still draining. I realized that the perko battery switch is grounded and not really "off" and its draining my battery. I tested this by putting positive on the battery and pick the main ground wire to stick the negative of the tester. If it still have connection even in the main battery switch is already off, you need to replace the battery switch. Hope this help

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You should take a close look in the pump and be sure something is not lodged in it or the liner is not locking the impeller. go to the back of the engine and see if the engine will turn over using the vibration dampener where the drive shaft attaches to the back of the engine .

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should take a close look in the pump and be sure something is not lodged in it or the liner is not locking the impeller. go to the back of the engine and see if the engine will turn over using the vibration dampener where the drive shaft attaches to the back of the engine .
When you say the pump, do you mean the tunnel with the impeller? I looked and don't see anything lodged. The impeller looks very tight, maybe touching the liner or just a tight fit? Why would the liner lock the impeller? does it bend or expand? I sprayed some WD40 in there in case of rust or salt and will let it sit. I live in Clearwater, FL and the salt an humidity do horrible things to our boats. I do flush the engine after each outing. But some of the cheap stainless fittings were already pitted and scaled after a few months of buying my brand new boat. In order to turn the shaft by hand I presume I would need to loosen the spark plugs? I will also test electrical connections but will need to get another person to assist me. so he can throw the switch while I test.... Are the gages (speedometer and tachometer) supposed to come on when I turn on the key? The blower and bilge do run when the battery switch is on.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
There's two kind of "clicks" on a non start.

Multi-clicks in a row indicate low voltage on your charging system.

One click, or lengthy space between a usually indicate your starter relay is acting up. You can test this by 1) holding the key to "start" for a while and seeing if it eventually turns over or 2) finding the relay, and "jumping it" on the posts, which will bypass the relay and should fire over the starter.

Other things to look for in the ignition are bad ground wires, either corroded or not connected. Your battery has a ground, so does your relay, and your starter. Check them all for corrosion and/tightness.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
the liner swells up from corrosion under the stainless liner and actually locks the impeller in the pump housing the early signs are rattle in the pump running on the trailer and the engine turning very slow the first time you try to start it after it sits a while the longer it sits the worse it gets. https://jetboaters.net/threads/low-budget-fix-for-yamaha-pump-liner-swelling-issue.12121/
That sounds like it makes sense. How do you detect a rattle on the trailer do you mean out of the water? In order to turn the shaft manually to see if the problem is the liner seizing the impeller do I need to loosen the spark plugs first?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's two kind of "clicks" on a non start.

Multi-clicks in a row indicate low voltage on your charging system.

One click, or lengthy space between a usually indicate your starter relay is acting up. You can test this by 1) holding the key to "start" for a while and seeing if it eventually turns over or 2) finding the relay, and "jumping it" on the posts, which will bypass the relay and should fire over the starter.

Other things to look for in the ignition are bad ground wires, either corroded or not connected. Your battery has a ground, so does your relay, and your starter. Check them all for corrosion and/tightness.
Lots of things to check. My first question: Are my gages supposed to power up when the key is turned on? I don't recall if this happens first or only after the engine starts. The bilge and blower do turn on when the battery switch is on.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Lots of things to check. My first question: Are my gages supposed to power up when the key is turned on? I don't recall if this happens first or only after the engine starts. The bilge and blower do turn on when the battery switch is on.
My Connext powers up if it's in "run" (one notch back from start) on my switches. If you have gauges, you may need to have it fired up first (I remember my old Bayliner was like that).

Also, as a process of elimination, just hook up the one thick positive and negative cables.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Today I decided to look down the tunnel to see if the impeller turns (even a fraction) as the engine jerks (just a slight motion) when I try to start. My son turned the key and it started a short crank, like JuJuJuJuJu (maybe 5 times) but without starting up. I was able to repeat that a few times, but no start. Then it went back to just one click and that is where I am right now. Although that should eliminate the possibility of the engine or impeller having seized. I tried jumping (using my Lincoln MkX), but no difference. I did open the ignition key panel (about 8" wide) to look behind and pulled and replugged the banana plugs (4 of them).
As you can tell I'm spending maybe 15 minutes per day. Any advice? I haven't pursued checking the rest of the electricals as some of you advised above. (I do appreciate all of your advice :). I unwrapped my new volt/amp meter, so I am getting ready. Should I open the started solenoid box? In my picture above is that the one in the top right corner of the picture?

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
If the solenoid clicks, try getting someone to crank the engine and whack the solenoid on the starter at the same time. If that works it's the solenoid and I would just go ahead and replace the starter. Solenoids going bad will sometimes engage and sometimes not. Old car trick! I can't tell you the number of times I got someone on their way by hitting the solenoid with a big open end wrench I had in my car.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a racing motorcycle mechanic look at it (he happened to be visiting for an hour). He suggested trickle charging the battery (which I did for a few days) and greasing the shaft bearing (the bearing where the propeller shaft goes through the hull.) The trickle charging helped turn over the engine but it was after greasing the bearing that it finally started. He thinks that the bearing was causing enough friction to prevent the engine from wanting to start.
My next question will it be wise to take the boat out and run the engine and take my chances or will the bearing need replacing? The boat doesn't have more than a few hundred hours on it.

DrPhil

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
This seems odd, but it is 6 years old. Have you run the boat in saltwater?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Clearwater, Florida. Its salt water only and tough on boats. Much worse than in the north as the water is warm (80's in the summer) and it is very humid here. The boat gets taken out of the water and the engine flushed after each trip. But the bearing doesn't get rinsed.