• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX190 stereo

Wake Turbulence

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very happy with the stereo upgrade so far. A new Kenwood head unit which has Bluetooth. And a small but sufficient amp for our music. A Pyle 400 watt amp. Next up will be speakers! I plan on ordering the Polk 6.5's from Amazon, anyone had success with those?

3AC4145A-EA97-4F83-B2A3-CF994F55B45F.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really liked the Kenwood stereo I put in our last boat. Great features in a value price.

Racerx805

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The polk 6.5 are a good value but only gripe is the speaker grills are fragile. Kids accidentally kicked the grill, when it broke it put a hole in the cone.

Wake Turbulence

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good to know, I did t even think about the lack of grill cover. Maybe I'll stick with my original pick of the Ken woods. About $8 per pair less expensive and have more grill coverage.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed Polks to replace the crappy OEM speakers in the SX190.... a few things that made it not as simple as I expected...

1) The spade connectors are different size and the Polks was smaller... instead of replacing them on the boat side, I just crushed them with pliers and got a solid connection
2) The hole pattern isn't the same, so be prepared to drill new holes in your boat

slow007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed Polks to replace the crappy OEM speakers in the SX190.... a few things that made it not as simple as I expected...

1) The spade connectors are different size and the Polks was smaller... instead of replacing them on the boat side, I just crushed them with pliers and got a solid connection
2) The hole pattern isn't the same, so be prepared to drill new holes in your boat
I just installed the db651 polks and had the exact same experience except I replaced the connectors on the boat side. I have had no issues with the grills after 7 days on Norris Lake with 4 kids. I hooked the speakers up to a Soundstream Picasso 5 channel amp and am very pleased with the sound and volume. I've got the 5th channel going to an 8" marine bazooka sub and was honestly expecting a little bit more out of it. I added a second battery and dual bank battery charger because I was concerned about running down the starter battery.

My next endeavor will be to replace the factory head unit (with a Kenwood) and add the remote volume control unit on the driver side. That is a must...relying on someone else to get in and out of the glove compartment to adjust volume is the blues.

Wake Turbulence

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I basically went in reverse to how you did yours. (Although I added two extra speakers near the swim deck). IMG_0597.JPG IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0542.JPG I installed a second battery with switch, then upgraded to a kenwood head unit and installed amp. Speakers last!

Wake Turbulence

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
add the remote volume control unit on the driver side. That is a must...relying on someone else to get in and out of the glove compartment to adjust volume is the blues.
Also I thought about the extra cost for a remote on the driver side but since the kenwood has Bluetooth and I play everything off my phone anyway it seemed like an extra unnecessary expense. Just a thought.

slow007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a good point but my 13 year old son often acts as the DJ...so i like to have override control. Ha. I may just start with the head unit and see how it goes.

Would you mind to post a pic of the swim deck speakers? Did you run the wire around the front of the boat to get to the starboard side or run through engine compartment?

Wake Turbulence

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ran the wires through the engine compartment. It was pretty easy. There's lots of wires to zip tie the new speaker wire.

IMG_0613.JPG

Luisito Fundora Gomez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Very happy with the stereo upgrade so far. A new Kenwood head unit which has Bluetooth. And a small but sufficient amp for our music. A Pyle 400 watt amp. Next up will be speakers! I plan on ordering the Polk 6.5's from Amazon, anyone had success with those?

View attachment 57934

View attachment 57934

Which kenwood stero head unit did you use? Also if u leave the speakers it already has does it make and difference? And what about the connectors..does crutch field has it

Rickey498

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did you get the stock speakers out. I have the Marine Audio speakers and can't figure it out
The grills pop right off, then you will need to pull the screws.