• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX190 wakeboard tower

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just finished installing a tower on my 2012 SX190. Ran out of time/steam to mount the bimini and racks, will do over the weekend...

upload_2015-9-19_0-51-49.png

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great! What brand/model is it? Are you happy with how stable it is? Did you have to modify the bimini?
Thanks, Julian. This is an Origin Advancer tower, and I have a flat top-type bimini, swivel racks, etc. still being installed. Will post more pictures maybe tonight.

The tower is very sturdy, 2.25" diameter, nice welds, simple design. There is a couple of issues with the install not well covered in the instructions. The key is to tighten the top cross-horizontal bar to make the tower more stable. I used factory enforced hull mounting points, mounting inside the gunwales for the rear mounts is tough.

I have the same Advancer tower on my old ski boat and it has been great, it has stood up to some serious abuse, and it will not budge.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are some more pictures of the new tower and accessories:

In the backyard

upload_2015-9-19_21-3-1.png

upload_2015-9-19_20-59-14.png

upload_2015-9-19_20-59-43.png

And on the water

upload_2015-9-19_21-1-59.png

upload_2015-9-19_21-1-29.png

Attachments

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Thanks, Julian. This is an Origin Advancer tower, and I have a flat top-type bimini, swivel racks, etc. still being installed. Will post more pictures maybe tonight.

The tower is very sturdy, 2.25" diameter, nice welds, simple design. There is a couple of issues with the install not well covered in the instructions. The key is to tighten the top cross-horizontal bar to make the tower more stable. I used factory enforced hull mounting points, mounting inside the gunwales for the rear mounts is tough.

I have the same Advancer tower on my old ski boat and it has been great, it has stood up to some serious abuse, and it will not budge.
@swatski Did you order supports for the mounting points from yamaha? Just looking for clarification on what was used for support on the under side. The tower looks great by the way.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@DonWon Thank you. The SX190 and AR190 share the same hull with factory enforced fiberglass for OEM tower mounting points (for AR models). If you look under the cap, you can see where the fiberglass is reinforced with plywood.
BTW - I love this tower and its price tag $500. This is my third from that company, never had a problem. The 2012 AR OEM tower lists for something like $3,600, uninstalled, which I find kind of absurd.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent job! I was so close to buying a mint condition SX190 from a board member and doing this myself. If I didn't wind up with an AR190 I would've done the same. Still not sure why we don't see it more since every year the AR190's are gone by early summer.

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@swatski Do you have any pictures of it folded down? Just wondering if it will still fit in the garage?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski Do you have any pictures of it folded down? Just wondering if it will still fit in the garage?
Folding it is pretty simple, but requires unbolting the rear leg and loosening the top and front bolts. It helps to have two people as it becomes unstable when unbolted. I don't have a picture of the new one folded, but I found one of my other boat - not the greatest, but you get the idea. This one in the picture is clumsy because of the bimini and some DIY accessories, but the tower itself folds fine.

upload_2015-9-22_10-57-12.png

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski So I don't need the support plates listed as #11 and #9 that are illustrated in the link? http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/522f6159f87002303c9a9b56/wakeboard-tower
@DonWon - the Origin towers come with their own rubber gaskets and alloy plates for mounting. It is no picnic though... especially the rear mounts where the access inside the gunwale is very narrow. Some people actually make cutouts for access, but I did not want to go that way.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That looks really great. $500 for the tower is a screaming deal. What was the total cost with accessories?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks really great. $500 for the tower is a screaming deal. What was the total cost with accessories?
I think I was just under $1,500 for the tower, flat tower bimini, racks, mirror, etc. - boardoutlets.com
I like the black powder coated finish, their polished aluminum is not anodized. Not the easiest install, some things were back ordered, I ended up talking directly to "Lily" in China, all good. Very nice people to work with.

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great. I really like the look of the flat top bimini in this application. I think Yamaha should have done something similar with the new 242-X series.

riderP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your tower looks great!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@riderP thank you. We have put it through the paces this season for sure, and it holds up great.

Sal Schiano

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello I ordered the same tower and installed on my SX192 but my problem is I followed instructions on your install and used the stock mounting spots which are reinforced like you said but the tower does not give enough head room to install the Bimini like u did ... I noticed looking at your pics that in the front you installed farther back from the actual reinforced panel , did you have any problems? I may need to redrill if I can't figure this out :(

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello I ordered the same tower and installed on my SX192 but my problem is I followed instructions on your install and used the stock mounting spots which are reinforced like you said but the tower does not give enough head room to install the Bimini like u did ... I noticed looking at your pics that in the front you installed farther back from the actual reinforced panel , did you have any problems? I may need to redrill if I can't figure this out :(
@Sal Schiano hmmm... I know, that install is no picnic... My boat is at the dock but I will take some measurements this weekend. If memory serves me well I really stretched the footprint, well - shrunk it really, to get as much height as possible and was on the edges of the factory plates.
Not sure if the sizes of tower components or placement of reinforced fiberglass changed, doubt it. These hulls are supposed to be put together by robots, but there is variation- I discovered that while mounting SeaDek mats - I had one piece for under passenger seat that was off by about 3" in my boat (but not so in Will Jetboatpilot model of the same).

The flat top Bimini comes in different sizes, at least two. My is large but it was a major PITA to get it in without bending anything too badly. It requires the top bar of the tower to be put together (width wise) just right... I might have had to drill new mounting points in the Bimini frame to fit it, I don't remember exactly. But I also suffered through previous installs of these towers. It is just a whole lot of finagle-ing to get the whole darned thing to do what you want.

One idea would be to try the smaller size Bimini top, if you can live with it, it would be possible to install it higher. Alternatively, there is an option of mounting it above the top bar, it would end up working kind of like the Biminis in the new 242xs. That install would require some extra parts I believe but not too expensive. For me it really was not an option, we all burn in the sun and needed as much surface as possible.

I also wanted tower speakers, so the above the bar mount was not an option. ( my tower speaker install is in s different thread - I'm on my phone, sorry) there are more pictures of the tower there.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/budget-stereo-upgrade-for-sx190.8836/

Last edited:

Sal Schiano

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Swatski thank you so much for the fast reply , if you don't mind taking a measurement from the ground to the cross bar the most I got is 67 inches and that's redrill and moving the front mount to the edges of the factory reinforcements but then when I look at your pics you are super close to the edge of the boat and the windshield and my 192 definitely does not have reinforcements there lol ... I was able to get an extra 3 inches from 64 to 67 but I'm concerned when I add the Bimini it won't cut it ( well it would be of for me I'm only 5'6 but taller people will need to watch their head lol ... I also have tower speakers and I was going to install just like yours but that's if the Bimini will work ... When I gave them the measurement for the Bimini I was coming in at 58 inches but now that I redrill I'm at 70 so I will need to return the small Bimini for the large one :( I have kids and I'm Also looking for as much shade as possible... Thank u so much for your time and you can also call me or text me at 8137608884 thanks Sal :)