• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX195 swim platform speakers

Johnboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hey y'all,
I want to add speakers to the swim platform area of my SX195. I have several ideas. I welcome any advice and thoughts.
1st idea. Behind the swim platform seats. I have seen some people add speakers here, but always wondered if that sounded any good. Kinda like putting a pillow in front of a speaker.
2nd idea. Drill two holes in the swim deck "see photo". I would probably need to add a 1" King Starboard speaker ring to get the depth needed. I've heard many comments about water splashing up on the swim platform and causing concern. I don't seem to have that issue, I have never had water splash up this high. I don't wake board or surf. And I only boat freshwater lakes.
3rd idea. Buy tower mounted speaker pods and alter them to mount to the bimini.
4th idea. Build custom fiberglass speaker pods. I would permanently mount them to the boat and gel coat them to look seamlessly integrated. This would be the most labor intensive option and the most original. I haven't seen anyone do this. But man what a pain in the ass.

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
2 is great for freshwater. I did it in salt and the speakers started to rust.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Also 5 would be trim the back cushions and do it similar to the premium trims.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The 3rd picture definitely would not work, there is no way water doesn't rush up there. You don't have water on top of your clean out ports at all after a day of boating?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
3rd works, I’ve done it.

as far as 5, one or two people have done it here. Have to get upholstery shop to take care of it.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
1st idea. Behind the swim platform seats.
You're right, that would sound poor and a waste of time.
2nd idea. Drill two holes in the swim deck "see photo".
That would sound good, but I wouldn't recommend it as speakers are moving cones and I could see them getting damaged from large waves hitting them - water is heavy and a wave hitting the cones would not be good. I've had large wakes roll right up to the edge of the upper swim platform, and my boat has stock speakers mounted at the sides of the seat backrests and they typically don't get wet up there. But the lower platform gets hit hard and often.
3rd idea. Buy tower mounted speaker pods and alter them to mount to the bimini.
Bimini poles are not super sturdy - I wouldn't do this.
4th idea. Build custom fiberglass speaker pods.
That would look great, but a lot of work as you said.

How about combining 3&4? Buy speaker pods and mount them to the fiberglass above and to the side of the rear seatbacks, perhaps just aft of the bimini mounts?

Johnboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The 3rd picture definitely would not work, there is no way water doesn't rush up there. You don't have water on top of your clean out ports at all after a day of boating?
I never get water
You're right, that would sound poor and a waste of time.

That would sound good, but I wouldn't recommend it as speakers are moving cones and I could see them getting damaged from large waves hitting them - water is heavy and a wave hitting the cones would not be good. I've had large wakes roll right up to the edge of the upper swim platform, and my boat has stock speakers mounted at the sides of the seat backrests and they typically don't get wet up there. But the lower platform gets hit hard and often.

Bimini poles are not super sturdy - I wouldn't do this.

That would look great, but a lot of work as you said.

How about combining 3&4? Buy speaker pods and mount them to the fiberglass above and to the side of the rear seatbacks, perhaps just aft of the bimini mounts?
Good idea. I found a flat surface mount for speaker pods that usually mount to a tower.

Johnboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I don't seem to have that issue. No water over the top of the clean out ports ever. I have water halfway up the tube but on coming out. I have not had water over the lower swim deck, even in a rapid slow down. I've been hit with wakes and just roll over them. I've had four large adults in the back and still no issues. Im more worried about someone kicking them with a foot than water damage.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I don't seem to have that issue. No water over the top of the clean out ports ever. I have water halfway up the tube but on coming out. I have not had water over the lower swim deck, even in a rapid slow down. I've been hit with wakes and just roll over them. I've had four large adults in the back and still no issues. Im more worried about someone kicking them with a foot than water damage.
I do not see how that is possible, but that is just my opinion. Not that you don't have water on your clean out ports, but that water doesn't rush up there where the speakers would be. Water rushes over my lower swim deck everytime I slow down at a somewhat rapid pace

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't seem to have that issue. No water over the top of the clean out ports ever.
The newer hulls have drainage channels to the sides of the hatch so water just runs back out. The 250/252 models have the same drainage which is better than the drain tube under the swim platform.
I have not had water over the lower swim deck, even in a rapid slow down.
I think you just haven't noticed it yet - I always have water wash over the lower platform when slowing down, and whenever a wake comes from the rear. It's normal since the lower platform is only a few inches above the water line.

Johnboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Bouncing more ideas around. I found these silicone speaker covers on Amazon. I wonder if I put the speakers on the lower swim platform with a on/off rocker switch and covered them with the silicon covers. This way when were hanging out with the boat anchored, we could pull off the covers and turn on the rear speakers. When the boat is in motion the speakers would be off and covered. What do yall think?

Attachments

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Bouncing more ideas around. I found these silicone speaker covers on Amazon. I wonder if I put the speakers on the lower swim platform with a on/off rocker switch and covered them with the silicon covers. This way when were hanging out with the boat anchored, we could pull off the covers and turn on the rear speakers. When the boat is in motion the speakers would be off and covered. What do yall think?
I think the water pressure from wakes and waves might pull them off and you would lose them. The Fusion unit on my rear swim platform is on the same level and comes with a silicone cover. But I don't think it's secure enough to leave on while using the boat - I use the cover for winter storage only. Also, if the point of the covers is to protect the cones from pressure damage, the silicone covers are soft and would still transfer some of the compression pressure from wakes and waves to the cone. It might protect, but it also might not.

I think the pods mounted aft of the bimini is still your best bet.

SamN44

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a SX190 and when I was considering this, a powered sound bar seemed like it might be able to be mounted on the bimini top more easily than a regular speaker pod.

Johnboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The newer hulls have drainage channels to the sides of the hatch so water just runs back out. The 250/252 models have the same drainage which is better than the drain tube under the swim platform.

I think you just haven't noticed it yet - I always have water wash over the lower platform when slowing down, and whenever a wake comes from the rear. It's normal since the lower platform is only a few inches above the water line.
Sooo... You guys were right. Water comes over the swim deck. I just didn't notice it before. I let my wife drive while I sat in the back and told her to go from 25 MPH to neutral and sure enough, water came rushing over the lower swim deck. Im either going to mount small 4" speaker pods or a sound bar to the bimini.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Sooo... You guys were right. Water comes over the swim deck. I just didn't notice it before. I let my wife drive while I sat in the back and told her to go from 25 MPH to neutral and sure enough, water came rushing over the lower swim deck. Im either going to mount small 4" speaker pods or a sound bar to the bimini.
What, you didn't believe us?
:)
Sound bar sounds like a good idea.