• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX210 won't go over 37

Steve Levine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi
I bought a 2012 SX210 with 77 hours on it.
I'm having 2 problems
The starboard engine is saying check engine 2 out of three times when it starts. When i turn it off and restart it, sometimes 2 times, the warning goes away and it runs fine
I'm also having a maximum speed of around 37 MPH, even with 2 people and half a tank
Both engines are running pretty close in rpms and are at just over 8K when at full throttle
Both engines have plenty of water coming through cooling
I replaced the plugs and changed the oil in the winter. Both air cleaners look fine
Without taking pumps apart the impellers look OK but I'm thinking maybe there is something wrong with the starboard pump or both
I believe the rings are all metal - no plastic wear rings
Any ideas would be helpful

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are you at high altitude or sea level? Those motors drop off performance above about 3000 MSL.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are the clean out plugs all the way in.. if they have partially dislodged but became bound up in the tube it may be looking a little thrust.... atleast that's how it works in my mind which isn't saying a lot!

Steve Levine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi

We are on the east coast - long Island-so no high altitude issues
I haven't checked the plugs but both engines are spooling up at just over 8100 rpms

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
RPMs are correct. Do they sound rough when idling? Sometimes a spark plug change is the magic cure for motor issues. Did you fog the engine in the winter? If so it can foul the plugs.

Any large algae build up on boat? Had a member lose 10-15 mph after wetbslipping for awhile.

Any members around your location could help with a YDS to read the code. Also might be able to count the flashing lights with the check engine light.

Just tossing out ideas.

Steve Levine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi and thanks for ideas
I keep the boat out of the water in a high and dry (rack) so no algae
I remove and reinstall cleanout plugs evry outing so they are fine
Engine was fogged in fall but I replaced plugs after oil change in spring
Engines are running nice and smooth
I'm thinking I need to pull the starboard pump to look for issues with ring or Impeller

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep they mat be the case. First I would see if you can check the codes. Sounds like you have considered all of the easier solutions. Codes may give you some SA on the issue too.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you confirmed the impellers are the stock part/model numbers?

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Steve Levine if you are going by the factory speedo meter, it may not be reading right, mine is 4 mph slower according to gps. mine says 38 but gps says 42

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So here's what I had yesterday at WOT (2006 sx210)... light breeze, 2 on board and a little over a 1/4 tank. The bottom is dirty from wetslipping all season. Gps said 38mph. Port enginge is 500rmp lower than starboard according to the tach, but the engines sound like they are in sync. If I match the tachs, they sound totally out of sync. I have seen 42 on the speedo in years past. It's going in the shop in the Spring for oil changes, plugs, and to have the tachs, pumps, throttles, grates, etc. all checked. So @Steve Levine, we're in the same boat!tach.jpg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For $70 the yds is a highly valuable tool everyone should own. There is no point on guessing with knowing the codes.