• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX230 not turning left enough

Donny Hudson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hope you are all doing well. I changed my steering cables, reverse cables and new OEM impellers on my 2005 SX230 with my mechanic. I took the boat out yesterday to test but I notice it doesn’t turn (port) left as much as to the right. I have the cobra fins on my boat not sure if there is something I need to adjust ? I see nozzle adjustment threads and will try that today.

Here are some pics if anyone can give me some guidance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve done everything you said, but from center, my wheel doesn’t quite go half a turn either direction. Hopefully this is ok since I did everything to center it up???

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Disconnect the steering cables at the nozzles put a piece of tape on the top of your steering wheel and see how far it turns with nothing attached to it if it moves further than it does with the nozzles attached then it must be something with them, then you need to go back and move the nozzles side to side and see where it is binding up you may have a bad cable or an issue with the helm if so the wheel will stop even if the nozzles are not hooked up also be sure there is no contact under the nozzles with the fangs not a normal thing but it is a process of elimination .

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What jeff said and you can disconnect the cable behind the steering wheel to eliminate a bad steering box

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. It’s dark now so I’ll work on it again tomorrow. After centering, I had my son turn the wheel left and right as I watched the nozzles. Turning left was fairly easy, but turning to the right was actually sort of hard. They are turning the same each direction, but not quite sure why it’s hard to turn right.

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So one other thing, when I centered the wheel, I spun right and marked, spun left and marked, then centered and marked. You say to then find the closest spoke on the wheel facing down and put it facing straight down.
With my wheel centered, it makes an upside down Y, so both left and right spikes are even from center down, and the other spoke is straight up. So is this acceptable? I can post pictures tomorrow if it’s not very clear.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Donny one thing to remember your helm only goes just over 1/4 turn full left and 1/4 turn full right you don't have the rack and pinion setup that goes 1/2 turn either way the AK boats have the rack and pinion helms

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So one other thing, when I centered the wheel, I spun right and marked, spun left and marked, then centered and marked. You say to then find the closest spoke on the wheel facing down and put it facing straight down.
With my wheel centered, it makes an upside down Y, so both left and right spikes are even from center down, and the other spoke is straight up. So is this acceptable? I can post pictures tomorrow if it’s not very clear.
in that case use the center top spoke so it is pointing up rather than down it really just depends on where the spoke is ,obviously yours is better off pointing up in order to have it centered. since I am not sure if you have the rack and pinion since the 21 foot boats don't have the articulating keel until 2017 so they probably kept using the regular helm .

Last edited:

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any input on why after centering it is now much harder turning right than left? I’m not seeing any hitting or binding at the nozzles.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Usually it is a cable going bad disconnect the cables at the nozzles and see if it is still binding with nothing attached and then move the nozzles right to left and see if you feel any unusual binding .

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, thanks for all the information. I’ll be back at it tomorrow before taking to the lake to test everything out (new triducer, centering nozzles).

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With the cable disconnected, there was no binding. The wheel spun freely left and right. I’ll have to unhook tomorrow and see if the nozzles are binding anywhere.

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took it out in the rain today. It now turns waaayyyyy better to the left, and the right is still good too. The new Airmar transducer is working great too.
Now to figure out why after adjusting the cables the steering is so tight turning to the right.