• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX230HO Steering Cables

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been off island for about three months and had to leave the boat on the lift, I normally put it on the trailer in the shop, but this time had no room. I had a guy start the engines every week and he was told to open close the throttles and move the levers fully in both directions a dozen times. He was also asked to lock to lock the steering in the same way but forgot. Yes you've guessed it its mighty stiff. I have searched for "Bruce's list" (but cannot find it) and looked on all of the forum references I can find but I cannot locate the Teleflex cable numbers for the 2008 230HO. Can anyone help? I cannot see any numbers on the cables, they look as if the run across the top of the fuel tank. Do you need to lift the fuel tank floor section to replace these on the 2008 model? I am obtaining a couple of bellows that expand to 10", more than enough and contract to 3 1/2". I will machine nylon bushes to fit the inner and outer ends of the cable and the holes in each end of the bellows and then fasten these in place after packing them with silicon grease. It will be interesting to see how they perform and whether I can keep a water seal under full throttle pressure. Any suggestions as to where to purchase Teleflex at a good price? Thanks in advance

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here you go https://jetboaters.net/threads/seastar-teleflex-steering-systems-and-cables.10706/

How are you using the bellows?

I would change the steering and shift cables at the same time. You will be glad you did when you feel the difference.

It may be possible to use the old cables or a line pulled in when you pull the old out to pull the new cables through the fuel thank area but it is much easier to have the hatch off. I believe I tried to pull mine then resorted to removing the hatch.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in my replacement steering cables. After 3 months of salt water use my steering is back to the way it was before changing them. It's not bad but not like new. The shift cable still acts like new

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the information although I thought there were two part numbers for the steering cables on account of one being longer than the other. I remember ordering a a starboard cable back in 2010 only to find out that it was 12" short. From memory the last digit was one different identifying the different length. I am not sure am thinking SSC21917 and SSC21918??? The cables are however shot, they have simply gone to far. Anyway I remember this coming up a year or so back and then I forgot about it. I was then looking at the sort of rubber bellows used on things like handbrake cables. The idea was to slide these over the inner rod and the outer sheath stainless tube secured in place with a clamp allowing the bellows to expand and contract with the operation of the cable. Having the bellows filled when closed with silicon grease would keep the cable lubed and hopefully with the right clamps at each end seal the cable from water ingress. The bellows I have located would be slightly too large at the cable and require a reduction spacer on the outer tube. Nylon would seem to present possible answers. I designed a complete SS 316 cable end system back in 2008 which allowed a compression olive to hold a barrel on the end of the cable with a secondary rubber seal on the cable end. This had a tee on the side equipped with a spring loaded grease system like the bearing buddies to keep the cable under constant positive silicon grease pressure. I should look up the CAD files if I can find them.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I retrieved the part numbers from an old hard drive I ordered back in 2010 and it was for a SX230HO being SSC 21918 and SSC 21919. These cables were routed through the starboard seat locker. The boat I have now is a 2008 and has a different deck layout. The cables are now routed under the floor so it makes sense that the lengths would not need to be different, thanks. Any suggestions on a source anyone?

ncik58636

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
changing my steering cables today 08 sx230. any tips?