• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX240 vs AR240

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With this financing in place (assuming I qualify for 2.99) I may pull the trigger now and pay the consequences later. Forgiveness vs. permission strategy. My question is about the amount of shade each bimini provides? Is the SX a lot more for the little ones or is the AR comparable? Although I don't need the tower now I imagine we would in the future with kids and friends, but I don't think it makes sense if the amount of shade is considerably less.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cannot answer about the shade thing, but if you have children and expect to have the boat into their teenage years, get the tower now or add one later. It will not be long before they want to wakeboard and water ski.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Get one with a tower now.....that is my only regret in the boat I have now....wish I'd gotten one with a tower. I figured "I'll just add one later", but convincing the "boss" to drop over a $1000 plus install on a tower, plus cover modifications etc has been an uphill battle.

seamew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in the same "boat" as you. My local dealer did bring up one good point though..... He mentioned that if I had intentions of selling down the road, the demand is 10-1 for the tower with this type of boat. The the extra $, might be a good investment if you were ever to consider moving on or up in a few years time.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Additional hint given to me by a boater before I bought my first boat (an AR240):

The tower makes it much easier for the new boater and friends to board/disembark and remain steady on the boat. You can grab the tower. If you grab the top on the SX, it breaks...

Plus what everyone else said above.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is my regret as well... I wish i had a tower. I had never wakeboarded a day in my life prior to buying this boat and now i love it and wish i had a tower. Also, more than anything though, is for storage of boards, etc... The SX210 is not storage friendly. You can fit a wakeboard in the storage compartment, but it is a PITA if you use it multiple times throughout the day. I wish i had the tower to get gear off the floor and to mount more speakers to.

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Waiting on delivery of our new AR240. I got to this point because I started the process of looking to add a tower to my first boat. That boat is now gone and our new purchase has a tower. So on that front, I agree with everyone who said to go tower.

As far as shade for the little ones, we have a four year old who always napped on the boat when we were out for a while and so shade from the bimini was a top priority for my wife and I. We got into an AR240 at a show, deployed the top and quickly concluded that if the little guy (or anyone else for that matter) needs to find a shady and comfortable spot, it will be there. The whole boat may not be shaded, but there should be ample shade coverage.

I never got in an SX so I can't compare, but based on the other points that go into the decision between the two models, we are more than satisfied with our choice. Good luck to you.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Another vote for the AR. I had an SX before my current boat. Yes.....my SX bimini did have a good bit more shade, but that's where the advantages end. Actually, I wanted a tower mostly for somewhere to hang speakers, but now that my kids are getting older, we are getting more into water sports. The resale value is a great point as well.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great point about resale value and demand. Without question, the demand will be higher for models with a tower. Most that opt to go without the tower have an issue storing a boat because of height issues. Now that all the towers can be collapsed, this is much less of a deal for people.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, and welcome.

And, should there be any other opportunity to spend more money on the boat, we will be here to help you, pushing for the most expensive option or list of features. :) That is how we 'support' one another. Er...

But seriously, I think that is a good choice and we look forward to pics.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Definetely get the AR. EVERYONE ends up regretting to get an AR and many (as I did with my former 2007 SX) end up purchasing and installing an aftermarket tower.