• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

T-top vs 75mph towing?

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
IMG_2484.JPG
Saw this today. I did take an extra crank on the ratchet because it was baggy and holding water in the middle. Not sure if the extra crank or the long tows at 75 did it? Both probably did not help. Perfect reason to replace it with a sheet of carbon fiber instead.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I haven't read the info on the bimini for the FSH. It stands to reason it isn't limited as much as my SX240 or my earlier SX230. But I was and am restricted to 45mph. Not so much because the bimini might tear, but because it will put too much pressure on the support frame. Your frame is solid, so I doubt it would be subject to that much force. But there may be a restriction for it that I am not aware of. 75 mph is a big load on anything not solid. And add any wind to that and you may have much more on it. Sorry it tore, but you may be onto an improved fix for it. If you do replace the top, be sure to post up before and after pics and even better, the "how to's"! Good luck on the fix.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aside from telling them the towing part, you might be able to replace that under warranty, No?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a bummer @Earfixr. I like @njmr2fan 's idea of filing a warranty claim for it. But either way, keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got my FSH Sport in August (I've had the boat less than 2 months) and noticed this pooling issues in the middle of the top, right after purchasing it and getting a good storm. I took pics just yesterday and plan to send them to my dealer. Hopefully I can get a warranty replacement. I trailered it at 60 mph one time, tops, and the rest of the canvas is tight as a drum. No rips in mine, just a droopy section full of water, after a hard rain - that leaks onto the console/deck area underneath.

I have a Yamaha FSH Sport mooring cover, so the leaks aren't a big deal for now, and if moving, the rain doesn't accumulate. This shouldn't be happening on a brand new boat, and long term, it could become an issue (overnight trips, anytime I can't get a cover on it, etc.).

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was thinking of tightening the top to help with the pooling of water. I'll go easy on it now if I tighten it at all.
It looks like it started ripping where the antenna bracket is mounted.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My canvas top is drum tight, but still pools in one section, between the top's bars, in about a 12''x18" section. I think it was like that when I bought it, just never noticed it. Also considered putting a rectangular section of white (or grey) HDPE up there, but will push for a warranty solution first.

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The pooling problem was solved with a $2 pool noodle. I just cut it to the length and sliced it down the middle. Ran it front to back alomg the center bar. Raised it 1". Poof, no more puddle. Had to do the same thing for the top on my jeep.

JDinFL, It's hard to tell from the angle of the picture but the VHF antenna is in the middle of the hole and not touching anything. Had it made contact I could understand the rip. This is just a plain failure. I'll try the warranty route with my stealership but won't hold my breath. Gives me a good excuse for an elevated helm station and seat up there for a cobia tower.

Last edited:

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the pool noodle idea. Sounds like a easy fix!

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
jetboatpilot did a video on the pooling issue a while back. Of course now I cant find it.It stated running the straps in a different location at the back of the t- top .Maybe Will @JetBoatPilot will see this and has the video or link.
I was told by my dealer to take my top off if trailering highway speeeds. I dont normally get to go over 40 on my commutes to the ramp either,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great video. Obviously too late for me. Pooling had stretched mine out a lot worse than in the video. Hope it can help the new buyers.

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Update: the dealer went to bat for me and got Yamaha to replace it under warranty. They denied the first request saying the t-top is not blessed for speeds over 45 mph like the Bimini top. I said that sounds great, and what page of the owner's manual is that on again? New top is on it's way.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine ripped in the exact same spot and the exact same amount. Could be the same picture. I don't have anything mounted to the tubes at the openings so think has nothing to do with that. Going to find a canvas worker locally who will deconstruct mine and redo out of heavy sunbrella with the rod holes. Will post if gets done.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just noticed a tag at the back of my Bimini today saying not to go over 45mph with it deployed. Good thing I have California crap and I can only get to 47mph.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My 210 FSH pooled water from day 1.

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We just had 15 days of constant rain here is beautiful S Fl. I had to constantly push the water off the top on my FSH, pooling was constant and I have it stretched to the max, it seems as it is a manufacturing flaw. They should have gone with the standard twine style canvas on all other CC boats. After the summer (if the canvas holds up) I will be replacing my top with a Hard Top, there are several places here is SF that will custom make them to attach to your existing T Top Frame.

BTW good going on getting Yami to replace it.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The pool noodle really works. I installed early on and haven't had any pooling problems.