• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tach Lights not working

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When turning on my gauge cluster lights, they all work except for both Tachs on my 07 SX230. I've looked through the wiring diagram and I now know what wires to check with the meter, but was wondering if anyone has experienced this issue. I'm wondering if I will need to replace the bulbs, but haven't found a spec for those, yet.

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Based on this diagram, wouldn't I be checking the blue wires coming out of each? And the black ground, of course.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just to clarify, your tach's show correct RPM, it's just the illumination light isn't working?

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bumping this as I just took another look behind the dash this past weekend and used a meter to tell if I was even getting power to the bulbs, which I am not. I think I'm going to just tap into the wire going to either the speedo or fuel gauge and run it to the tach lights to see if that works. I guess I could also run new wires from the switch to the tachs, too.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That would work. As you've already discovered, pulling the instrument panel is quick and easy, 4 screws. Might also be a good time to upgrade to LEDs. I initially went with red because I thought it would look cool. It does, but then I remembered the warning lights are red too. Hmmmm. Not good because you don't notice them. So I switched to blue. Looks good.

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That would work. As you've already discovered, pulling the instrument panel is quick and easy, 4 screws. Might also be a good time to upgrade to LEDs. I initially went with red because I thought it would look cool. It does, but then I remembered the warning lights are red too. Hmmmm. Not good because you don't notice them. So I switched to blue. Looks good.
LED's would be cool, might have to look into those.

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ended up being a bad ground to each tach. Cut the ground wires as far back into the harness as I could and rerouted to my new fuse panel I put in.

Attachments

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I was incorrect, it was not a bad ground, but it seems like my wires may not be hooked up correctly and the wiring diagram is confusing me. The wiring diagram has the blue and black wires swapping locations as they approach the speedo.

Could someone with an SX230 (AR230 is different wiring) take a photo of the wires coming into their speedo for me?

Attachments

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can but it won't be until about 8pm cst tonight, maybe post a picture of what your's are,

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can but it won't be until about 8pm cst tonight, maybe post a picture of what your's are,
That's fine, I won't be able to look at it again until Thursday night, at the earliest. Boat is 1.5 hours away.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
also,
my 2007 service manual shows it to be a plug connection not just a direct wire, it doesn't match your schematic,

upload_2018-7-2_13-6-13.png

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
also,
my 2007 service manual shows it to be a plug connection not just a direct wire, it doesn't match your schematic,

View attachment 78028
Ah, the AR230 has a plug, the SX230 has direct-wire. My SX will be different that your AR, I guess. Will edit request for pic of SX wiring.

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, so i have my batteries wired as separate circuits (starting battery only has starter wires and house battery has accessories wires only). The tachometer's ground wire goes to the engines, but the positive wire for the lights comes from the house battery. Therefore, the circuit is incomplete and the lights won't turn on. I am thinking that just connecting the negatives of my two batteries will solve the problem, but will have to wait until Thursday to test.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to your schematic, the compass light is on the same circuit. Is the compass light working? If so, it's almost certainly the bulb in the speedo. Did you pull it and check it? It's the little plug in the back of the speedo, give it a 1/4 turn and it comes right out.

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to your schematic, the compass light is on the same circuit. Is the compass light working? If so, it's almost certainly the bulb in the speedo. Did you pull it and check it? It's the little plug in the back of the speedo, give it a 1/4 turn and it comes right out.
Speedo, fuel and depth finder lights all work fine. It's the tach lights that don't work and I know the bulbs are good, tested them.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Actually, the schematic on the one you posted and #scottinTexas shows all of the lamps are fed by bow nav light switch. So if the others are working, the speedo should be too. Check the bulb (you can even swap it with one of the tach lights) and see if that fixes it.

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Actually, the schematic on the one you posted and #scottinTexas shows all of the lamps are fed by bow nav light switch. So if the others are working, the speedo should be too. Check the bulb (you can even swap it with one of the tach lights) and see if that fixes it.
See my reply above... all bulbs work. It has something to do with the grounds being different between the tach lights and all the other lights.