• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tach

William Hamlin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site as well as new to owning a jet boat.

I took delivery of my SX190 yesterday and during the inspection and walk around at the dealership they explained that the tach was sending some sort of "comm error". Of course they didn't have one in stock to replace it and Yamaha wouldn't have them one for about a week and a half to two. Yamaha told them to use the tach from a 242 until mine comes in.

He explained to me that my boat currently runs well over 55mph at 7600rpm and it's because the tach.

Any thoughts....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

William Hamlin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's my exact thoughts. Hopefully going to take it out later today. I'll let you know if he was giving me some BS.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No current production Yamaha boat can reach 55 MPH. The tachometer is simply a display.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No current production Yamaha boat can reach 55 MPH. The tachometer is simply a display.
Caveats:
  1. On the water
  2. True speed (if you are on a fast moving river driving down stream, a couple of models might eek their way to 55 on GPS...but that isn't a true speed)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Believe it or not the tach is what interprets the NMEA 0183 antenna signal and sends a corresponding but different signal to connext in the newer boats. Why? Because the gps antenna was already wired that way on pre connext boats that had gps speedos. So my guess is that sure a 55mph readout is possible because the signal the tach is sending is just a bit different. Would be curious to see a side by side with a phone gps speed app.

William Hamlin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well. We were able to take her out today. Had a great time. Got up to 49 mph a a few times according to gages and phone. It was me 185 lbs wife 140 son 125 son 40.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is she a 190, 192 or 195?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski, 49 seems crazy fast for a 190 to me. What is your experience?

William Hamlin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep. Seems fast to me too. Did your read the reason for starting this whole thread? I'm new to jet boats.

Regardless of my experience guage on boat matched readout on my phone exactly. The tach read just shy of 8k.

I'm curious if it is because they put the tach from a 242 in my boat and if so why?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A 190 and the 240/242 series have the same engine. The tachometers are not the same part number but they must be compatible.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep. Seems fast to me too. Did your read the reason for starting this whole thread? I'm new to jet boats.

Regardless of my experience guage on boat matched readout on my phone exactly. The tach read just shy of 8k.

I'm curious if it is because they put the tach from a 242 in my boat and if so why?
With the old style analog speedometer anything is possible, those were pretty "optimistic" usually. But the RPM readings of 8,000 do not make much sense. In these boats the 1.8l N/A engine is rev limited at around 7,800 RPM and most do not come close to that stock (before ribbon delete etc.). 49mph sounds too good to be true as well. Even if it was a cool day and perfect conditions, IMO.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site as well as new to owning a jet boat.

I took delivery of my SX190 yesterday and during the inspection and walk around at the dealership they explained that the tach was sending some sort of "comm error". Of course they didn't have one in stock to replace it and Yamaha wouldn't have them one for about a week and a half to two. Yamaha told them to use the tach from a 242 until mine comes in.

He explained to me that my boat currently runs well over 55mph at 7600rpm and it's because the tach.

Any thoughts....
I almost forgot, @William Hamlin, WELCOME! And congratulations!

I think the salesman info may not be completely accurate, but who cares. Sounds like you have got yourself a very nice boat! Those SX190s are a ton of fun, really perfect for a family with kids around. Easy to store and trailer. I used to have one and miss her dearly!

--

William Hamlin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. Really is a great boat.

The 2 Tech's that tested the boat before delivery said they called Yamaha because they were confused why it was going so fast and asking if it was the tach and didn't get any sort of definitive answer. "the tach that goes in your boat will be here is 7-10 days".

Regardless she's an amazing machine. Looking forward to tomorrow.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. Really is a great boat.

The 2 Tech's that tested the boat before delivery said they called Yamaha because they were confused why it was going so fast and asking if it was the tach and didn't get any sort of definitive answer. "the tach that goes in your boat will be here is 7-10 days".

Regardless she's an amazing machine. Looking forward to tomorrow.
Sounds like she's a keeper!!!

--

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new boat. Sounds like she's running well!!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If it does turn out the tach somehow does have something to do with a normally 43-44 mph boat running 49, that will be the best bang-for-buck performance mod in the history of boating! I could go for a $200/5mph increase on my 192. 55 sounds like fun!