• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Taco / Phender Pro placement

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Those that have installed these, what did you use for placement? I got 4 for Christmas and I think today is likely installation day.

Im thinking just to the aft of the tower and maybe just forward of the gps puck.

3D68368D-F5AB-497A-A2D5-4F68B774C09B.jpeg92935856-EF4F-40A7-9D49-832D34152BAE.jpeg

They were $49 at Overtons on Black Friday.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I could be remembering wrong, (it’s happened before) but I’m thinking maybe @seanmclean installed these and @swatski installed a different product but similar idea. Off to search a bit while I wait for a flood of responses. Lol

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I never seen these before, seems like an interesting idea but I am always nervous and would shy away from putting holes in the boat.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I never seen these before, seems like an interesting idea but I am always nervous and would shy away from putting holes in the boat.
I found @piney1 install post. He has a lot better pics of it in action. Let me know if you need a link to it.

Edit: here's the post mentioned above.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I could be remembering wrong, (it’s happened before) but I’m thinking maybe @seanmclean installed these and @swatski installed a different product but similar idea. Off to search a bit while I wait for a flood of responses. Lol
You're on the money, as usual. Installed these two years ago - easily top 3 mods I ever did. If you zoom in here can see the placement, rears are centered on the tower, forward is right around the headrests.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You're on the money, as usual. Installed these two years ago - easily top 3 mods I ever did. If you zoom in here can see the placement, rears are centered on the tower, forward is right around the headrests.

Awesome! That's what I was thinking about for placement, as well. Are you happy enough with 2 per side? I'm thinking I'll stick with that, and if I need another fender, just use the windshield clip that I've been using, or use the mid-cleat. Although, I just took all my spare and mis-sized fenders off the boat today. Now, I have 4 8.5" x 27" (tall) fenders - 2 black and 2 blue. Planning to color code blue fenders for front and black for rear, since I assume the ropes will be slightly different lengths for front and back.

In the garage, I have 1 8.5 x 27 black, 1 6" white, and the shrimpy blue Yamaha one that came with the WakeBooster kit that I unloaded today. Could have a couple other 6" white ones from a few years ago... Is there any reason to have more than these 4 big ones on the boat? I guess I could deflate a couple more and get a small basketball pump to blow them up when needed.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've found that 2 per side is definitely adequate, those locations provide good coverage for the whole side of the boat, and have not had any dock damage since installing them (at least scuffs that weren't self-induced, lol). I don't raft up with other boats or anything, so this is perfect for traditional docks.

I do have one of those mission fenders that I bring some locations that have really low docks where the stern might get pushed underneath, so I'll toss that on the back cleat when needed.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Found a couple pictures of it in slip with those locations, you can see it keeps it nicely off the dock.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, I got my install done.

Rear are pretty well centered on the tower base. On port side, in line with gas tank and vent about 3” forward of the vent.

Front is right at the corner of the windshield. On starboard side, that sits it right below and behind the gps puck. Small miscalculation on the port side put us drilling into the back of the head compartment. I hadn’t planned on that, but it turned out fine.

I cut rubber washers out of an old bicycle tube that I keep for just such occasions. The plywood pic was the test fit for my holesaw.

FF7976F0-C5CA-43E3-9DF1-95192F656CF9.jpegDB393999-7BA4-4C6E-BC3B-B5702A5649B8.jpegFA797593-C068-4959-BBA4-F9DBB4AF9752.jpeg00E74783-D768-409B-AA2F-5A93795231AC.jpeg3E9F90B5-2EE8-4442-B962-BE848DB7237D.jpeg

Edit: I should add how to access the back side.

At tower base, removed the rear speakers and easy access to the bolts through the speaker holes.

Port side front - as it turned out, easy access through the head compartment. Oops... be careful not to booger up the pretty fabric coating in there.

Starboard side front - easy access through the helm compartment.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
On vacation a couple weeks ago, we were boating and using fenders everyday. Man, we love these for docks, docking against pontoons and other lower boats. For rafting with other 24' Yamaha's, my mount points are just a bit too low... though, I'm not sure how I could have moved them up any. Our rubrails are so high out of the water, that I think it still works best to hang a single fender off the windshield to complement the front and rear fenders.

@seanmclean Have you had any trouble with yours? 3 of my 4 fender locks have now broke. There is a rubber sleeve on the end of the pin... I've lost 3 of those. Shortly after that, the little clip that holds the spring taut has fallen off. Once that happens, the pin comes out from it's outer sleeve and the 2 little ball bearings that hold it locked in place get lost.

I sent Taco a message and they told me that they are under warranty. I just need to fill out a form and send them some info, I guess. I'll try to get that done this week. But, man, talk about frustrating... especially after the cost, but also after drilling 4 holes in the boat. Just curious if you or anyone else has had a tough time with these falling a part.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On vacation a couple weeks ago, we were boating and using fenders everyday. Man, we love these for docks, docking against pontoons and other lower boats. For rafting with other 24' Yamaha's, my mount points are just a bit too low... though, I'm not sure how I could have moved them up any. Our rubrails are so high out of the water, that I think it still works best to hang a single fender off the windshield to complement the front and rear fenders.

@seanmclean Have you had any trouble with yours? 3 of my 4 fender locks have now broke. There is a rubber sleeve on the end of the pin... I've lost 3 of those. Shortly after that, the little clip that holds the spring taut has fallen off. Once that happens, the pin comes out from it's outer sleeve and the 2 little ball bearings that hold it locked in place get lost.

I sent Taco a message and they told me that they are under warranty. I just need to fill out a form and send them some info, I guess. I'll try to get that done this week. But, man, talk about frustrating... especially after the cost, but also after drilling 4 holes in the boat. Just curious if you or anyone else has had a tough time with these falling a part.
Sorry to hear that, sounds like maybe you got something from a bad manufacturing batch. All 4 of mine are still working like new, and we use them frequently. Taco is a pretty stand up company, so I'm sure they'll take care of you.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that, sounds like maybe you got something from a bad manufacturing batch. All 4 of mine are still working like new, and we use them frequently. Taco is a pretty stand up company, so I'm sure they'll take care of you.
I think they will. The support guy responded right away. And, I know a whole bunch of boats are coming with these installed from the factory now. So, they have to be fairly sturdy.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which size would you guys recomment for the phender pros? 3/8" or 1/2"?

Diablo243

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I find with my 242 LS the center cleat with 2 standard inflatable fenders works perfectly as a pivot point. That is the furthest forward fender I use, then do one off the grab rail near the back deck. I use a bungee line on the stern, and aft spring line from midships and then a bow line. I tension the bow line to keep the boat straight but the stern bungee line keeps it from rotating forward enough to need any more fenders. So when I end up adding these to my boat I will do one near midships and then one near that rear handle I always use.

@bleudyno 3/8 is plenty for any of our boats.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats what I was thinking too. Thanks!

h2oskierfl95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Do you remember if there were any wire harnesses or other obstacles behind the fiberglass? Specifically above the rub rail about midship? (Red Circle) I want to add a third between the two I have but I'm having a really hard time seeing what's up there. 1685215392235.png

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nothing there that I can recall - there's a big bundle that runs under the rubrail I saw when I was adding a speaker there. Seems like it'd be a tough spot to secure the bolt.

Personally, before adding a third there (I assume you're still making contact at midship), I'd try a standard 8" fender, or something like the Mission Icon fender. I have no issues keeping the middle of the boat off the dock with my placement.