• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Taking a leak in public...

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Every outing in my '16 AR240 I end up with copious amounts of water in the bilge. Gradually I've been able to find and seal a few I've found along the way, but the water persists to infiltrate somewhere...?

Screenshot_20180711-073438_Video Player.jpg

To date, I found the drain line detached from the rear clean out tray. A leaking check valve on my ballast overflow sending water out the bilge pump. Besides that I've only been able to find a couple dribbles... Nothing that can justify the amount of water I'm seeing.

I've pursued the leaks a little harder this season, actually did a reverse leak test by raising the bow on the trailer and filling the bilge with water. Filed it up to the bottom of the drive shafts and nothing...

Boat is stored sheltered from the elements.

I'm tired of leaking in public, so where them leaks at?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In going to state something bad, that I think your already know in your heart....

The leak is likely only there when the engine is running. Otherwise it would have revealed itself when filling up the bilge.

Good news is... That's quite a bit of water so it should be visible at some point.

You may have to stick your head in engine compartment or rear hatch while running to see what's going on.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet you meant flour.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In going to state something bad, that I think your already know in your heart....

The leak is likely only there when the engine is running. Otherwise it would have revealed itself when filling up the bilge.

Good news is... That's quite a bit of water so it should be visible at some point.

You may have to stick your head in engine compartment or rear hatch while running to see what's going on.
I think you're probably right... I actually stuck my head in the engine compartment while my wife operated the boat at wakeless an even held the kill switches down and stuck my head in the transom access. There were no obvious signs of a leak. Had me scratching my head a bit. o_O

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Clean out plugs get water pushed past them then the water goes in through the inspection hatch.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you raised the bow, and then filled up the stern with water, how high did it get under the swim platform? Above the transom plates and stern hull fittings? Do you have a pic?

-Greg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not sure I follow? You want me to mix it with flour and make some dumplings...? Lol!
Haha, no, chocolate chip cookies please. Sprinkle *flour* everywhere and you will see where the water is coming from.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is your cleat under water when you ballast up? That is where I get my water from.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is your cleat under water when you ballast up? That is where I get my water from.
I haven't noticed. Happens even on days we don't surf though.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Clean out plugs get water pushed past them then the water goes in through the inspection hatch.
I agree with this one as I have seen it on my boat.

Also, saw on another thread that the rear rub rail apparently allows water through as its not well sealed. I will be checking mine.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where the two halves of the boat (top half & bottom half) come together is covered by a trim strip that contains the rub tail. In the past it has been determined this is not very water tight. I'm guessing when you're ballasted up & people on board the rub rail on the swim deck is under water. If true, this could be the source of the water.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Could also be the cup holders. Do you get water in your rear seat storage? I do only when we surf. This is why I know my rub rails leak. The wet storage caps aren't sealed for shit. That's another source of water into the bilge.

JBlue

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NA
Hi new member here and to boating. Been lurking awhile and researching to potentially buy a Yamaha once the 2019s come out.

It seems like leaks are a common problem... how much of a deterrent is that for buying a new 30k+ boat? Just seems like a lot of money for something you are hoping is water tight in most cases...?

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It seems like leaks are a common problem... how much of a deterrent is that for buying a new 30k+ boat? Just seems like a lot of money for something you are hoping is water tight in most cases...?
Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I did the same as you and lurked for months as I was researching and before settling on a Yamaha. My new boat is only my second one but in my opinion every boat is going to get water in it from someplace. I get about about 1-2 gallons out of my drain plug every outing and we do a bunch of stuff. Wakeboarding, ZUPing, tubing, and tons of swimming and jumping off of all areas of the boat and we drip all over the place. We also squirt down the cockpit often so we don't burn our feet (need to find more money in the couch for seadeck). From what I have seen coming from other boats at the launch, I don't find it abnormal. Most "issues" seem to be well know and I bet if you asked Yamaha they would see it as a "non-issue". For what its worth nothing I have seen personally in terms of leaks or whatnot have I considered a real safety problem. At most a personal annoyance. Zero water out of your plug is boat dock bravado or bragging rights.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Hi new member here and to boating. Been lurking awhile and researching to potentially buy a Yamaha once the 2019s come out.

The leaks are acceptable because of the powertrain. If you want a jet boat for the money Yamaha is really hard to beat. Especially if you have a dealer close.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
J Rad, I know it,s been a year since posting this issue with excess water from your drain, ever get it figured out? If not tighten the three bolts on the exhaust ports, both sides. Water will constantly seep in as they are under water.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
J Rad, I know it,s been a year since posting this issue with excess water from your drain, ever get it figured out? If not tighten the three bolts on the exhaust ports, both sides. Water will constantly seep in as they are under water.
The problem has persisted and I've just chosen to let it for the time being. That's a great tip on a item to check. I plan to replace the o-ring on the plug itself, and check/fix the anchor locker drain. I will add that to the list. Thanks!