• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

tell me whats wrong with my trailer for my 255xd?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Ever since i took delivery of my boat we launch at a local spot. Semi deep to get trailer sumerged well, boat floats off. Retrailering same thing. Might have to winch maybe 1-2ftworth due to how pointy the keep is. Rear of boat is floating so going deeper will just make it not align well off the back. Ive had to polish my underside on both sides of the boat, wetsand and compound to get scratches out. I noticed it prob after the 4th or 5th time retrailering the boat. Pretty decent scuffs the size of the bunks. I figured it was the carpet, or the carpet got some silt or sand in it. I decided the install surfix bunks. Im still getting same issue, same spot. Today we went out from a different launch, last night i re-wetsanded and corrected the area, it was shiny and smooth, same result.

This will be the 4th time im going to have to buff these spots out.

Heres the picture of how the boat is on the front of the trailer, how far on the back it is. Its as if the boat is putting a TON of pressure only at the front of these bunks as im getting the boat on the trailer. Any amount of using the winch and sliding this part of the boat is giving me this result. Ive put the trailer deeper and same result. Im not pulling it up dry. Bunks are well underwater.

Its only a matter of time ill be thru the gel coat lol.

With the surfix bunks installed i do notice my pressure point is at the front of the bunk. Theres daylight from middle of boat until the rear bunks.

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is why I prefer white lower hulls. No matter what you do, the bunks will rub your hull. The smoother the bunk, the more rubbing you'll see. Ultimate bunk boards act like sand paper (they are smooth slippery bunks) - the hard smooth surface gets sand between it and the hull...voila...sandpaper. The weight will be carried at the bunk connection points mostly. So the carpet there gets mushed more. 2 things you can do:
  1. stop looking at the lower hull!
  2. add thicker carpeting (will only help for so long
Julian

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This is why I prefer white lower hulls. No matter what you do, the bunks will rub your hull. The smoother the bunk, the more rubbing you'll see. Ultimate bunk boards act like sand paper (they are smooth slippery bunks) - the hard smooth surface gets sand between it and the hull...voila...sandpaper. The weight will be carried at the bunk connection points mostly. So the carpet there gets mushed more. 2 things you can do:
  1. stop looking at the lower hull!
  2. add thicker carpeting (will only help for so long
Julian
its crazy, with the surfix bunks i made it a point to make sure they are clean. Still getting this result, and its only at htat front bunk spot. I was wondering if theres an adjustment on my trailer to equal the pressure on the bunks better as it seems like the front nose of the front bunks are taking alot of weight.

I could also be a baller and switch to rollers lol

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
its crazy, with the surfix bunks i made it a point to make sure they are clean. Still getting this result, and its only at htat front bunk spot. I was wondering if theres an adjustment on my trailer to equal the pressure on the bunks better as it seems like the front nose of the front bunks are taking alot of weight.

I could also be a baller and switch to rollers lol
Carpet is the best solution to reduce surface to surface abrasion. You will always get road grit thrown up....unavoidable.

There might be a way to weld on more bunk supports, but that will just evenly distribute the pressure and wear.

We've had members who put on smooth slippery bunk boards (sounds like yours are smooth) and posted photos of their gel coat being liquefied by the wear - they removed them and went back to carpet. (Search UBB hull....you should find the thread)

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
yeah looks like the pressure points are the issue, everywhere else is fine. Welp i know what im doing this week lol.

Whats the mack daddy of carpets everyone is upgrading to. I already wasted 200 on these bunks...whats a lil more lol

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm hyper vigilant about my boat and trailer. Sadly my boat has it too. Nothing you can do, really. Other than buy a lake at the lake with a lift. :)

I plan to just polish that part of the hill enough every season to hide those.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
is there any go to carpet? When i pull these surfix bunks im going to replace the shitty shorelander carpet.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t know how much it will help with the scratching, but I do apply silicone spray to my bunks to make the boat slide on the carpet better.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
is there any go to carpet? When i pull these surfix bunks im going to replace the shitty shorelander carpet.
Can you get a roll of microfiber and use that?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
That is a trailered boat and the way it is. Hate to say it. You will never avoid that. Its especially going to be more noticeable on dark colors

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Wicked92 is there anything that you actually like about the boat & trailer?? Maybe with the way the market is you should be looking into selling and getting something different that would make you happier.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That is a trailered boat and the way it is. Hate to say it. You will never avoid that. Its especially going to be more noticeable on dark colors
Agreed. I bet you could look at a Nautique Paragon that's trailered and see the same bunk rub. It's under the boat when it's on the water, and the bunks cover it up when it's on the trailer. So unless you're going to Fonzi jump it, nobody's going to notice.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It looks like bunk sand to me. A good rinse prior to loading is very important. As most of us see scuffs from sand on those carpeted bunks. They just show more on black.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@Wicked92 is there anything that you actually like about the boat & trailer?? Maybe with the way the market is you should be looking into selling and getting something different that would make you happier.
What we arent allowed to give our gripes on something? Id like the boat hellah lot more if shit wasnt half assed on it when built and the dealer actually did their job.

The idea of this boat, i love it. The sour taste is still in my mouth for the amount you pay and get subpar quality.

I didnt know we are only supposed to talk about the good stuff here or not have others be aware of what to look for with their own purchases in this current market and workforce.
All i want is the Yamaha i was EXPECTING, from years and years of that name being the pinnacle of jet propulsion.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
it looks like you have the white hard bunk boards? i would remove them no matter what it will scratch the bottom of the hull, specially in salt water
they are coming off today. I did them thinking it would cure what was happening, as they are advertised, and from reading reviews, a good alternative. Was wrong.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Agreed. I bet you could look at a Nautique Paragon that's trailered and see the same bunk rub. It's under the boat when it's on the water, and the bunks cover it up when it's on the trailer. So unless you're going to Fonzi jump it, nobody's going to notice.
the front of the keel shows these marks as its happening as the boat makes its way up the trailer. Visible just like the pictures show and was much worse prior to me wetsanding and polishing. Noticed it in my driveway when i was cleaning the boat.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What we arent allowed to give our gripes on something? Id like the boat hellah lot more if shit wasnt half assed on it when built and the dealer actually did their job.

The idea of this boat, i love it. The sour taste is still in my mouth for the amount you pay and get subpar quality.

I didnt know we are only supposed to talk about the good stuff here or not have others be aware of what to look for with their own purchases in this current market and workforce.
All i want is the Yamaha i was EXPECTING, from years and years of that name being the pinnacle of jet propulsion.
I was just asking a general question after reading your posts. You are more than welcome to voice your opinion. It just seems as if you are very unhappy with the boat & trailer.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It looks like bunk sand to me. A good rinse prior to loading is very important. As most of us see scuffs from sand on those carpeted bunks. They just show more on black.
We had a black hull on our SeaDoo X20, and it showed like yours. I religiously had to back the trailer in further than expected, wet the bunks, and sometimes give them a quick hand brush to be sure most of the sand was out.

Sand would land on the bunks when we would power off the trailer, as it blew up the sand on the landing. Or even from the sandy parking lots blowing around. That's just a bummer with black hulls and not specific to Yamaha.

Lesson learned on black hulls, and nobody should ever hold it against you when you sell it. Most didn't look that close when I sold mine.