• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Texas law requires safety lanyard use

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Kali’s Law goes into effect on September 1, 2019. Texas boat operators will be required to wear an engine cutoff switch when operating a boat equipped with the switch, under 26ft in length and going greater than headway speed.

Headway speed is slow, idle speed, or speed only fast enough to maintain steerage on course.

This change in the law does not require the retrofitting of older boats that were not originally equipped with an engine cutoff switch however Texans are always encouraged to employ sound safety practices which can include the addition of such a safety device.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I recommend one of the wireless blue tooth ones... way better Option than a tether.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Looking at Fell Marine MOB+

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yeah pretty sure I will not be doing this. I’m usually a stickler for the law but this one does not make sense. I’ll just make sure it’s around my wrist if/when I get stopped for inspection.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was completely oblivious to this. I likely won't remember to wear it, hopefully I remember the next time I'm stopped for an inspection. Seems like it will be tough to enforce though. I can't believe that 26 of 29 boating deaths could have been prevented by this. I'm guessing drownings don't get classified as boating deaths? I would think that making life jackets mandatory for everyone would save a lot more lives.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I find them very dangerous when you are docking or moving a bit, and next thing you know the boat has shut off leaving you without any control of the situation. I found myself in much more danger wearing it, so I don't use it anymore. The MOB system looks awesome, but another thing to break, so I'm not sold on it yet.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll never comply! I wear them when i might fly off. 100% on jetski and waverunner. On boats only when pushing the limit, <10% in the water, catching air, or 60+. The only case i could see it being a possibility on my ar230 is wot in the ocean with 6+' swells. If i had cops around me checking for this I'd rig up a holder for the wrist strap by the throttle so i could slip it on when the cops are close.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I added the mob this season. It works great and I consider it an extra theft deterrent- assuming they don’t know how to press it for bypass mode. No need to worry about moving around the boat

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll be honest, I'll probably not use it. The few times I have I've forgotten I had it attached and moved from the helm a little too far to reach something, in the marina at slow speed, and it pulled out and killed the motors as it's designed. I've used it when it's just been me or me and the kids to go out hot rodding and doing donuts. For normal cruising and putting around I see it more of a pain. If I see patrol officers I'll slip it on my wrist I guess.