• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Texas to the Exhumas

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Here's a video of our 1 week adventure to paradise.

Photos and videos don't do the place / adventure justice

@Kalvin Wise

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's a video to our 1 week adventure to paradise.

Photos and videos don't do the place / adventure justice

@Khalid - you don't @#$% around! Brilliant trip and videography to match. That grotto is incredible. Looks like you and your crew had an epic time. Thanks for sharing!

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
@Khalid - you don't @#$% around! Brilliant trip and videography to match. That grotto is incredible. Looks like you and your crew had an epic time. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks and I'm very happy to share. After all, seeing other people's videos is what got me to go. I can't wait till next time!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice video we can't wait to go back either. I'm little shocked only you and the scout ventured down to Exuma the rest of that crew missed out it really is unlike any other places I have seen in the Bahamas so far. Hopefully next time you get more then 1 day in Exuma but it looks like you had a great time everywhere else as well. How was Andros still have not made it that way yet but considering doing it next time?

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Thanks Robert!

Our schedule got thrown off by the bad weather from Bimini to Nassau. That pushed us 2 days behind (1 night spent in Bimin and recovery day for the skis due to rough trip). That didn't leave enough time for the Exhumas.

Ski riders (except 1) were beat up after the ride from Bimini to Nassau and didn't want to go through the same experience crossing to the Exhumas (good decision since we had head wind and high waves all the way). So, several decided to stay in Nassau and play tourist at Atlantis for the 3rd day.

Our stop in Andros was an emergency fuel stop in a somehow abandoned harbor. We got fuel directly from a fuel truck. (Part of the adventure). So, I can't vouch for the place (it's a really big island)

lessons learned:
1) Yamaha boats are well built! I didn't have a single issue despite the rough weather (besides loose speaker screws and middle front window). I have the 2016 242 Limited S-E and every feature / upgrade came in handy, especially that long Bimini. Also, the hull is mich deeper than the scarabs which made it more comfortable and farther from the water.
2 ) This trip isn't for skis
3) Rough seas from/to is almost guaranteed. Our jet boats are small and it will be rough
4) carry a lot of fuel. Rough seas makes the consumption increases significantly (1 MPG). I carried 25 gal and I wish I had carried more. Carrying fuel enables you to avoid fuel stops which is very time consuming (especially for a big group as they usually pump 1-2 boats at a time and their pumps are slow). Also, carry a fuel funnel with a hose to allow you to fuel from inside the boat
5) you need 10 days in total (to allow 2-3 travel days each way and leave enough days To explore the Exhumas)

All in all, the best trip I have been on!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Robert!

Our schedule got thrown off by the bad weather from Bimini to Nassau. That pushed us 2 days behind (1 night spent in Bimin and recovery day for the skis due to rough trip). That didn't leave enough time for the Exhumas.

Ski riders (except 1) were beat up after the ride from Bimini to Nassau and didn't want to go through the same experience crossing to the Exhumas (good decision since we had head wind and high waves all the way). So, several decided to stay in Nassau and play tourist at Atlantis for the 3rd day.

Our stop in Andros was an emergency fuel stop in a somehow abandoned harbor. We got fuel directly from a fuel truck. (Part of the adventure). So, I can't vouch for the place (it's a really big island)

lessons learned:
1) Yamaha boats are well built! I didn't have a single issue despite the rough weather (besides loose speaker screws and middle front window). I have the 2016 242 Limited S-E and every feature / upgrade came in handy, especially that long Bimini. Also, the hull is mich deeper than the scarabs which made it more comfortable and farther from the water.
2 ) This trip isn't for skis
3) Rough seas from/to is almost guaranteed. Our jet boats are small and it will be rough
4) carry a lot of fuel. Rough seas makes the consumption increases significantly (1 MPG). I carried 25 gal and I wish I had carried more. Carrying fuel enables you to avoid fuel stops which is very time consuming (especially for a big group as they usually pump 1-2 boats at a time and their pumps are slow). Also, carry a fuel funnel with a hose to allow you to fuel from inside the boat
5) you need 10 days in total (to allow 2-3 travel days each way and leave enough days To explore the Exhumas)

All in all, the best trip I have been on!
We were Lucky we made it with 2 boats and two skis to Chub in one day and the whole crew would have made it Nassau had Chub been pumping fuel but the were not that day. We all agree including the skis that it is not a trip for skis and boats. The skis need to go by themselves and the boats separate the skis will slow the boats down in most conditions. I have done in both ways took the ski to Bimini and Abaco and was on @1948Isaac boat on the Exuma trip basically the only conditions the ski can out perform the the boat is in large rollers with some space when the seas get tight the skis can't keep up its just to rough. Next time we go we plan to make it to Exuma in one day or at least to Nassau in one day. We made it from Staniel Cay to Bimini in about 9 hours we were not in rough seas but 2-4 ft conditions but wind wasn't that bad so it was manageable. Biggest thing with trips of that distance is I would skip the really large group as well to many factors slow it down I couldn't imagine going with more then 3-4 boats especially spending time in Exuma things are so limited down there it would be tough.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
We were Lucky we made it with 2 boats and two skis to Chub in one day and the whole crew would have made it Nassau had Chub been pumping fuel but the were not that day. We all agree including the skis that it is not a trip for skis and boats. The skis need to go by themselves and the boats separate the skis will slow the boats down in most conditions. I have done in both ways took the ski to Bimini and Abaco and was on @1948Isaac boat on the Exuma trip basically the only conditions the ski can out perform the the boat is in large rollers with some space when the seas get tight the skis can't keep up its just to rough. Next time we go we plan to make it to Exuma in one day or at least to Nassau in one day. We made it from Staniel Cay to Bimini in about 9 hours we were not in rough seas but 2-4 ft conditions but wind wasn't that bad so it was manageable. Biggest thing with trips of that distance is I would skip the really large group as well to many factors slow it down I couldn't imagine going with more then 3-4 boats especially spending time in Exuma things are so limited down there it would be tough.
Agreed. BTW, your video for your trip to Exhumas is the one that inspired me to go on this trip! Well done!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Khalid very nice video.

Much like @robert843 mentioned, a trip of this distance the vessels need to have similar performance characteristics, keep the group small, have captains/crews with similar boating capabilities, you need to carry extra fuel for the unexpected situations (something I didn't do on our recent Abaco trip it almost bit me in the tail) and be very flexible with your plans. Seems like you group did all this well. Thanks for sharing and glad you enjoyed your trip.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome stuff @Khalid and glad you all had a great trip! The protected waters of the Exumas are certainly a wonderful experience. I agree a trip of this distance you really need 10+ days to truly enjoy. From a skis perspective, you'll need several days to just physically recover from the long runs.

I met a couple guys this year in Bimini on skis at the fuel docks that were set to go to the Exumas but after a 6 hour crossing to Bimini from Miami the day before, they decided to go back to Miami and fly to Staniel Cay instead. I told them they need to go 10 to 20 miles around Bimini and on the bank toward Chub to get a feel for what conditions were before completely calling off their planned adventure. I don't know if they gave it a shot or not. Point being for those interested in such a trip, whether you're in a boat or a ski if you're planning this trip you really need to understand the distance involved as its a good run across the ocean. I personally would encourage a trip or two to Bimini first if you haven't ran several miles across the open ocean for a multitude of reasons.

IMO, under normal sea conditions running at a good pace a boat can make it to the Exumas in 2 days. While a ski can also do that, I think it's a better expectation for a 3 day run with variations of stops based on weather.

Robo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are you guys putting the extra fuel ? Also if you dont mind what kind of price tag for this kind of trip ?

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Awesome stuff @Khalid and glad you all had a great trip! The protected waters of the Exumas are certainly a wonderful experience. I agree a trip of this distance you really need 10+ days to truly enjoy. From a skis perspective, you'll need several days to just physically recover from the long runs.

I met a couple guys this year in Bimini on skis at the fuel docks that were set to go to the Exumas but after a 6 hour crossing to Bimini from Miami the day before, they decided to go back to Miami and fly to Staniel Cay instead. I told them they need to go 10 to 20 miles around Bimini and on the bank toward Chub to get a feel for what conditions were before completely calling off their planned adventure. I don't know if they gave it a shot or not. Point being for those interested in such a trip, whether you're in a boat or a ski if you're planning this trip you really need to understand the distance involved as its a good run across the ocean. I personally would encourage a trip or two to Bimini first if you haven't ran several miles across the open ocean for a multitude of reasons.

IMO, under normal sea conditions running at a good pace a boat can make it to the Exumas in 2 days. While a ski can also do that, I think it's a better expectation for a 3 day run with variations of stops based on weather.
Exactly. Reaching the Exhumas will take 2 full days at best.
I kept telling myself and others that the trip is about the journey, more than the destination, as flying there and renting a boat is probably cheaper especially after counting my 20 hr drive to/from Texas.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Where are you guys putting the extra fuel ? Also if you dont mind what kind of price tag for this kind of trip ?
My Yamaha ski locker can fit as much as 50 gallons. Others had different set ups. The skis had a rack on the back platform, so did one of the scarabs.

The trip cost me about $6000 with about half of that for fuel

Robo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is cheaper than i thought .did you use 5 gallon cans in the ski locker? And any issues with fumes or leaks from venting cans?

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
That is cheaper than i thought .did you use 5 gallon cans in the ski locker? And any issues with fumes or leaks from venting cans?
Correct. No issues at all. These can are made for that

WOOSAB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This trip looks like a must! Wife and I live in Dallas but have a summer home in west palm we never though about taking our boat all the way to florida. In the video you mentioned guides. Is it a trip you sign up for or did you just know people and take the adventure.. this trip isn't even a maybe for wife and I it's a must at this point!!

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
This trip looks like a must! Wife and I live in Dallas but have a summer home in west palm we never though about taking our boat all the way to florida. In the video you mentioned guides. Is it a trip you sign up for or did you just know people and take the adventure.. this trip isn't even a maybe for wife and I it's a must at this point!!
I agree. If you are a Boating / adventure lover, you'd be in heaven.
A friend of mine had gone to Bimini several times with a group of skis and planned to do this longer trip so I joined. Checkout jetlife movement page on FB.

Core members go to Bimini periodically and we are already talking about repeating the trip the Exhumas next summer.

Have you gone to Bimini?

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
wow, just incredible!!! Awesome to see someone doing all the way from TX! Maybe I can join in next trip!

aquilotti1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
amazing trip and video, true inspiration and one day I'll be repeating your steps for sure . One question do you think a 19ft boat can handle this trip like an AR190? thanks mate