• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thank the Lord for Boat US Towing!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_6432(1).jpg IMG_9036.jpg

It finally happened, after ten years. In what is called a bay but is really a lagoon more or less which I (thought) I knew like the back of my hand, I ran aground. I should have known when I could barely unload my boat at the ramp due to low waters, that I should have turned around. But I didn't. My 84 year old mom and my sister wanted to go out for an afternoon spin, and I was too lazy to drive 50 minutes to the river (usually a 30 minute trip but a county fair closed down my normal ramp and I wasn't tacking on another 20 minutes to the next ramp.) So into the nasty, salty, jelly fish infested Assawoman Bay we went. Along my normal path. Nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe take a spin out in the Atlantic. Boom. Aground. 4 feet to about 8 inches. No warning. No color change. No nothing. I cut the engines immediately as we were high and dry. High tide was 3 hours away, so we just hung out. One guy walked by, and said he got hung up here yesterday because he was unaware of this new sandbar, so he just fished for a few hours until the tide took him off the bar. So we hung out, waited.....and waited....and the tide came in a bit. We moved a bit, as the water depth got to about one foot deep. It sucked, as we were a mere 20 yards from 3 feet of water. Then the panic set in. If the tide didn't move us off, I'd need a tow. Did I renew my Boat US unlimited towing????? I distinctly remember thinking last month at renewal time "Who needs this? Ten years and no incidents......" Did I renew? Well, it was time to make a call. Might as well start them on the way. I figured it was like Triple A. Call and wait 3 hours for help to arrive - might as well get a jump on things in case the tide couldn't move us. So I called figuring I had a long wait coming. "Yes sir, you are good until July 17, 2017." Whew. I did renew. Let me put you on the phone with Rob, our local operator. 5 minutes later Rob had my GPS coordinates, and he said he'd see my in about 15 minutes. 15 minutes later he arrived. I walked out to greet him and take his tow rope. Walked back to my boat. Hooked it up, and 20 yards later I was home free. Rob the tow operator said I was the 5th jet towed this weekend, and that was just the jets. He said something about "At least you didn't lose a prop like some of the boats I towed today." He added that the abnormal low tides this week were wreaking havoc in the "lagoon" with new sand bars popping up all over. He said the tide had been especially low this week for some reason, and people were getting stuck everywhere. One of my brainiac nerd daughters who missed this trip told me if I knew anything I would have checked the moon phase and then I would have known how low the tides would be this weekend, something about the sun and moon working together to make the highs really high and the lows really low as we go into a full moon. WTF? (What good is her college tuition when I can't reap a benefit???) But I digress, I asked Rob much this would cost, if I did not have the insurance. Remember - this was a tow about 20 yards off a sand bar. Actually, he only had to move me about ten yards, but I wanted to be pulled into some deeper waters before I fired up the engines. Drum roll please..........without insurance? Rob said about 550 to 650! Gulp. Rob said you would not believe how many people tell him "But I had the insurance for 15 years and never used it so I didn't renew!" Sickening. I am so happy I renewed, especially when I almost did not. Never again. Paid for itself today! This is just a warning to you all. You may think you will never need this. Then this happens. Happy to say we were on our way no worse for the wear. Then my sister tells me her dumb ass husband got towed 2 seasons ago - 900 bucks. He didn't have the insurance. I asked if he had it now. She said "Nope, and last year it happened again. Another 900 dollar tow." What a f-ing idiot. You have been warned. Bottom line is I was very satisfied with the service and response time of Boat US Towing. No charge whatsoever, and I asked Rob if I got hung up on another on the way back in, would it cost me? He said "Nope - no charge. Call us again if you get stuck. It happens all the time. That's why you pay for the insurance." So for 20 bucks (tip) I was pulled off the sand bar. Note that the boat had leveled by the time the tow arrived; the first photo shows us a minute after we ran aground. When we were towed, we were level in about a foot of water. AGAIN - IF YOU HAVE BOAT US TOWING, IT IS A GOOD DEAL. I ALMOST DITCHED THE COVERAGE BECAUSE I NEVER USED IT. IT SAVED MY ASS THIS WEEKEND!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad it worked out. Was it on sand or mud or what? No damage to hull? How fast were you going? Would a GPS with charts have helped?
I live on a tidal creek, off the Delaware River and usually notice when the tides are extreme. My dock can be sitting on mud or my yard can be under water lol. I didn't notice anything extreme this weekend. Wind can also push water way in or out also but it wasn't really windy here this weekend. (Not too too far from you)

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please tell me you said "welp, It's Official, we're stuck":-D

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zelone, soft shifting sand, apparently. Cruising about 20. Soon as I was up I knew it. No real time to suck much up. Thankfully no damage at all. We were about to pull into Harbor Island if you know where that is around 15th street. Nary a problem here in the past. And by the time we were towed, the water was about 2 feet deep right away so there was no drag factor. I got lucky. If you know that "bay," charts are useless. I know it very well, but with the tide this low not well enough, apparently. If I had my usual crew with me, we would have pushed it right off in an hour when the water came up when the 2d photo was taken. But with an 84 year old woman, a 300 pound sister and the scaryaveragegirl on board, I had no muscle.

@Julian The goblin is Scaryaveragegirl. A very interesting instagram account with one of my kids. She didn't get my looks thank god.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All weekend and weekday down here. You hear Boat US and SeaTow non stop and I think one other. I have SeaTow and have yet to use it. They few dollars a month they really cost are worth it I think for that one time.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@OCMD I've boated on that bay only a handful of times over the years. Mostly rental boats and/or PWC's, so I cant say I know it well, but I know its mostly very shallow! Havent needed towboat yet, but its one of them things I just include in the cost of boating!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same low tide experience this weekend minus getting hung up. I really got lucky and it is only because I was in a jet and the low draft.

Next year I will get the towing insurance.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@OCMD , "Thank God for tow boat US". Hallelujah and Amen x a few hundred!

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

I had a similar experience starting about 3 years ago. Paid for tow boat Us and trailer boat Us for over a decade and never called once. In the 11th year I got two flats on one night, as it turned out my spare was flat as well. aAA was useless.

In year 12 my trailer detached from my suv on the freeway. Again aaa useless, didn't even show up or refer me to a private party.

Last year a brake caliper on the trailer came loose 30 miles from home and the boat and trailer had to be towed on a flat bed.

In all instances, boat Us /trailer boat Us showed up saved the day and at no cost other than my $50 to $60 annual premium and a decent tip for the actual service provider. I'm keeping that coverage until they refuse to offer it to me.

By the way, the tow home on the flat bed would have been $450ish. The tow truck driver tried to hand me a bill before his dispatcher clarified that the tow was free because of my coverage.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.png I did this last year. Slide like a 100 ft. Didn't have tow boat then. I put the grill on the back of the boat and cooked everybody lunch while we waiting for the tide to come in. While we were trying to push a shark came up to us

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Mother's day 2018, engine failure, checked the obvious,kill switches, clean outs, 6 miles from Marian had to call for a tow, boat was 3 years and around 50 hours. Did not worry about tow insurance, boat was under warranty. BIG MISTAKE! A false sense of security will cost you. Yamaha will only reimburse you up to $50, nothing more after any towing coverage you may have. $180/hour clock started as he left his dock and ends when he secures the boat to its destination. Grand total $345 for a six mile tow. Please learn from my experience. If you purchase a new boat make sure you understand the fine print. In my case engine was under warranty but although they cover repair they won't cover tow? Going forward, I am looking to see if I can purchase I n insurance that will cover my slip expense, I paid over $2800 for April - October. Boat has been dry docked for two months and counting while my slip is empty. Any one know of any such coverage/ cost?

Bubba7827

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
do you guys think the emergency coverage on a boat insurance policy is a fair replacement for a tow membership?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depends on the terms, but probably no. Get the BoatUS unlimited. A phone call away. With "emergency" coverage it will be a Boat US contractor most likely, but they will put you at the end of the list since you are not a "customer" and depending upon your contract language, you may have to pay up front and then submit for reimbursement (and deal with the insurance company throwing up their usual roadblocks in trying to get a simple claim paid.) As an update, 2 summers ago I was pulling my boat out, when my Silverado brakes failed - blew a rusted brake line at the exact wrong time. Now, I am 30 miles from my home base on a Sunday night and screwed. Boat US came through again. We could not find an operator to yank my boat home, and my truck to a local shop. Boat US worked with me and said if I can find someone, they will direct pay them. I called a friend who had a truck, and he made a killing taking the boat home. Boat US paid him promptly. I then limped my truck about a mile away to a local shop, at a slow speed using the parking brake when needed. Don't scrimp. Pay for Boat US towing/trailer. When you need it you will thank me.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@OCMD Best I can tell from BoatUS Website. Being an inland lake boater only. I would want the $85 freshwater tow coverage and the $14 Trailer Assist package right?

That looks like it gets me help on the water and on land if needed. Any thoughts?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Money very well spent. I didnt need it for years but when I did? It more than paid for itself twice!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I don’t know how I missed this thread when posted but I just looked at my insurance the other day and realized I had towing coverage too. I only vaguely remember that but I think I’ll keep it in July’s renewal for sure.

I’ve been wanting to boat in the Assawoman Bay for 20+ years but never have until two years ago. Between the amount of rental pontoons and PWCs driving like complete morons and the multiple boats I saw run aground in what seemed like open bay hundreds of yards offshore (and the confused passengers standing in ankle-deep water wondering how they were going to get out) sure put me off to it. I was really glad I wasn't in my boat, as fun as it looks.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I cancelled after the first year and paid when I needed it the one time in 12 years. Most expensive fuel I ever paid for. I'm still way ahead. I've been boating for 15+ years and needed them once it was $5 a gallon plus $250 to take it to me about 9 miles from their location. With 2 engines I continue to pass on it. Now that I have mentioned it, it will surely bite me. oh well.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t know how I missed this thread when posted but I just looked at my insurance the other day and realized I had towing coverage too. I only vaguely remember that but I think I’ll keep it in July’s renewal for sure.

I’ve been wanting to boat in the Assawoman Bay for 20+ years but never have until two years ago. Between the amount of rental pontoons and PWCs driving like complete morons and the multiple boats I saw run aground in what seemed like open bay hundreds of yards offshore (and the confused passengers standing in ankle-deep water wondering how they were going to get out) sure put me off to it. I was really glad I wasn't in my boat, as fun as it looks.
Good idea. I used to go in there in my LS2000 and always felt safe. You are right, however. Over the vast expanse of water, at high tide you may be lucky to be in 4 feet of water out in the middle. Of course, if you stay in the channel you are fine as that is 15 feet plus. I only go out there once a season for the air show. Go right down to the Rt 50 bridge and out the inlet into the ocean. Do that once and you will be back every season. Also it is nice to simply take a run up the beach to Delaware and back on the ocean side. Great views and hundreds of dolphins, and on a good day, not rough at all. But if you know the lay of the "land," it is safe to boat there. But as you said, too many idiots out there in the way. If you want to do water sports, just go up towards Ocean Pines, make a right under the Rt 90 bridge, and take it all the way back up the St Martin's river, which is just part of the bay and not a river. There is some good tubing/skiing grounds up past the gorgeous island house, and nobody is ever back there save an occcasional jet boat. But, when you have this river 20 miles south, with nobody on it? You can see why I rarely go into that nasty jelly fish infested Assawoman Bay.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I’ve been wanting to boat in the Assawoman Bay for 20+ years but never have until two years ago.
Interesting name; makes one wonder. Used to be called Assawaman. Interesting...