• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thanksgiving

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Big old roast bird, sausage stuffing, cheesy corn casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes.

Last year we roasted and fried, but it was such a pain to get the birds timed to come out together. Bit of a smaller crowd too, so should be able to get it all done with one 20lber.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@John McLaughlin - what are you cooking and how? It's my house for Christmas so it is always a prime rib done on the grill/rotisserie. I am thinking about doing it first in the Sous Vide and then either putting it on the rotisserie or just slicing it and reverse sear on the charcoal grill. With the sous vide, I can dial in the wellness perfectly and it will be more hands off.

For sides it will be standard but I may have to try the baked potatoes you mentioned and I can do them on my Weber Kettle (charcoal). I have a new temperature controller for the kettle so I can set the temp and also forget about it.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@shar All I got to say is WOW. That is one hell of an undertaking. I SV meats but never for that long. Also I noticed it said to vacuum seal. So I was wondering what type of vacuum sealer you will be using Please so pictures of the finish turkey

And most important have a great and safe Thanksgiving [flag]

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Going to try to sous vide the entire bird this year, following these steps: Sous Vide Whole Turkey Recipe by ChefBrunoBertin

We shall see how it goes!
How did this turn out? We’re gonna stay local and cook a bird for thanksgiving this year and looking for ideas. I recently got a ninja foodie xl air fried. Curious if anyone has used maybe for a turkey breast?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
]It's my house for Christmas so it is always a prime rib done on the grill/rotisserie. I am thinking about doing it first in the Sous Vide and then either putting it on the rotisserie or just slicing it and reverse sear on the charcoal grill. With the sous vide, I can dial in the wellness perfectly and it will be more hands off.
Do it. You will kick yourself when you find out how much more enjoyable your day will be when you sous vide it. You also won't have those ignorant savages who think it's undercooked, when you can give them their very own doneness for their slice, and you can plate all the meat at the same time (if you have a large enough grill). I do 127, and sear to 135. Ask if anyone wants theirs cooked longer, and then kick those people out 😜

I'm getting a ham from the employer, so naturally, my wife wants me to fry a turkey 🙄 I am considering getting a turkey for after Thanksgiving that I can spatchcock and throw on my Traeger. I've never done one on the Traeger, but I have NEVER had a single complaint from anything I've done, and I should be getting a dang commission from Traeger for as many people who bought one after trying to get the same ease and result from their grill.

For my prime rib roasts, they get smoked on the Traeger for an hour @175 before I seal them up for sous vide

*edit* just realized this was from LAST year 😆

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'll confess...we ordered a pre-cooked bird to pick up on t-giving. We'll cook the sides! I know...cheating....and won't taste as good....but we'll spend more time with family than fretting over a bird.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
I’m putting in an order tomorrow at a local farm for a grass-fed turkey at $3.68/pound. First time not doing a store bought, frozen turkey. Always fry it, lets the women-folk use the oven for the green bean casserole and sweet potato pie!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m putting in an order tomorrow at a local farm for a grass-fed turkey at $3.68/pound. First time not doing a store bought, frozen turkey. Always fry it, lets the women-folk use the oven for the green bean casserole and sweet potato pie!
Do you inject with anything? I've done a few things, but the request is always for teriyaki. The first time I ever did it, I did two, a teriyaki and some butter-based thing. The consensus was the teriyaki was novel, and "we'll try it", but I got the feeling nobody really thought they'd like it. It was the one that was picked clean, and it's the one that's requested if I volunteer to fry a turkey.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Do you inject with anything? I've done a few things, but the request is always for teriyaki. The first time I ever did it, I did two, a teriyaki and some butter-based thing. The consensus was the teriyaki was novel, and "we'll try it", but I got the feeling nobody really thought they'd like it. It was the one that was picked clean, and it's the one that's requested if I volunteer to fry a turkey.
Nope never injected it with anything. I’d probably be too afraid of screwing something up to try it.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nope never injected it with anything. I’d probably be too afraid of screwing something up to try it.
When I first starting BBQ I thought of injecting then I read how much a mess it could make and I sure did not need any additional help with that. so now my injector and needles have laid dormant for 14 years.

I also no longer wet brine because of the mess (IMO) so I dry brine all my meats. I have found that it produces a very moist meat. [flag]

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We will do a whole turkey - I get great results with a charbroil big easy - with only a little basting. I do inject bourbon and do some kind of rub. Not as fast as frying but no oil to deal with and still leaves the oven and kitchen empty for the sides, etc. Always comes out moist, tasty and nicely browned for presentation