• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Dreaded Flu

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well.....I'm paying for that Steamboat trip. Got home on Saturday. Was feeling a little weird in the chest, like I had cotton balls stuffed in my lungs. Sunday night I'm on the couch watching Olympic closing ceremonies with 3 blankets and the chills. Go to Dr. Monday she tests for flu and I have strain B. I asked about flu shot and interaction with the family, she said the flu shot this year was essentially ineffective.

I started on Tamiflu and some other medication to control cough. I'm on day 4 of a fever that waxes and wains throughout the day. One hour my temp is over 100, a few hours later I'm sweating and my temp is 98.2 I've even hit the 97's. Not sure how much longer I can take it. I hope to God none of my family gets this......

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Was there bout a month ago. Lasted 8 days for me! Better by spring at least.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stay hydrated, eat good food to the extent you can, rest, avoid humans, apply ibuprofen if needed to control spiking fever + aches / pains. You are likely about half way through it, you will make it. Good luck!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ditto on the stay hydrated. Dehydration is what's landing people in the hospital. One of the guys at our Ohio facility (the type of guy who won't go to a doctor w/o his wife physically dragging him there) was in the hospital for 3 days.

Get better dude. This season has been a mess.

The 17 y.o. daughter was diagnosed with - and treated for - the flu even though the test came back negative. She spent a week in bed. Now we're hearing that there is a bad upper respiratory infection that mimics the flu but isn't the flu.

Dandy.

There's also a great "double-barrel" stomach bug going around. I got mine while out of town for work (fun stuff in a hotel). So I lost a day to the bug and then had to get it back together enough to drive the 6 hours home the next day. (At least I didn't have to fly!)

So far, co-workers in both locations (WI and OH) have had the stomach bug (not sure if I was the carrier or just another victim) as well as 3 of my 4 kids (1st one hit before I got it so I probably got it from him) and the wife is recovering from it as we speak.

The worst was The Boy because you have to read between the lines to decide if he's really sick or if he just doesn't want to go to school. The last day he stayed home we had him doing school work all day. All of a sudden he felt better! It was a miracle! Better than the laying of hands!

I guess what that says is that if you do some 8th grade algebra, you'll feel better. YMMV...

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hope you get well. I have never had it yet and hope I never do. I was just reading an article about how this missing CDC guy might be some conspiracy involving the flu and flu shots.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last year i had that double barrel stomach bug... it was the most sick i have ever been in my life! My kids kicked it after a few hours... i was down for three days.... never ever ever have i been so sick for so long.... ill take a fever and aches for a week over three days of that mess any day. I lived on the bathroom floor.... no sleep.... my family had to go out to eat because if i smelled it, it was bad for me.. i am having flash backs now.... i am starting to sweat thinking about it! Whew......

(I work in a high school with 2000 kids... little mf'ers have discovered germ warfare! Little shits!)